British Speedway Forum
Spl77

Ipswich 2019

A 12 team top league is 22 league fixtures which would be better, if they go 8 or 10 they double up the fixtures and I think one it's too many fixtures and secondly it's boring 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Falcon1983 said:

A 12 team top league is 22 league fixtures which would be better, if they go 8 or 10 they double up the fixtures and I think one it's too many fixtures and secondly it's boring 

Won’t happen. Too many selfish 2nd tier teams that have no ambition or cut their cloth accordingly.

No other credible league has that many teams.

The top league in the World has 8 (Poland) whilst Sweden have 1 more.

No other league has more teams.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 2:04 PM, foreverblue said:

Hot property on his current average at a track he likes.

Bomber blows far too Hot & Cold even at a track he likes. And with one eye ( or perhaps both ) on getting back in the GP where will his best efforts really happen?

23 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Bomber blows far too Hot & Cold even at a track he likes. And with one eye ( or perhaps both ) on getting back in the GP where will his best efforts really happen?

He has very little chance of getting back to the gp's and  wouldn't be any good if he did. His main focus has to be league racing now.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Won’t happen. Too many selfish 2nd tier teams that have no ambition or cut their cloth accordingly.

No other credible league has that many teams.

The top league in the World has 8 (Poland) whilst Sweden have 1 more.

No other league has more teams.

If it was a choice of Premier League or Conference however do you think most would just be happy to drop back into the Conference or would it make them step up?

With 12 teams the points limit would have to drop accordingly perhaps with the no.7 being a protected Brit who stays at 7 all season?

If it was a choice of Premier League or Conference however do you think most would just be happy to drop back into the Conference or would it make them step up?

With 12 teams the points limit would have to drop accordingly perhaps with the no.7 being a protected Brit who stays at 7 all season?

The promoters don’t want a bigger league because some of them are selfish plus some of the riders have openly said they need 2 leagues to survive so you would lose several to retirement as well.

Is that not going to create greater divides between the abilities of riders? Its tough enough when PL heat leaders line up against NL second strings in the CL this season. Are you implying that Jason Doyle & Luke Harris in the same race is good for the sport or the entertainment factor? A smaller league with a higher minimum rider average for the top league is required so that the gulf in class is reduced. Closer matched riders on the right tracks will produce far better racing and entertainment than one or two superstars disappearing half a lap into the distance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Is that not going to create greater divides between the abilities of riders? Its tough enough when PL heat leaders line up against NL second strings in the CL this season. Are you implying that Jason Doyle & Luke Harris in the same race is good for the sport or the entertainment factor? A smaller league with a higher minimum rider average for the top league is required so that the gulf in class is reduced. Closer matched riders on the right tracks will produce far better racing and entertainment than one or two superstars disappearing half a lap into the distance.

that depends if you want to help promote Youth

For me if it was a 12 club top league, the no.7 should be a protected rider with the likes of Kemp, Flint etc. being at 7 getting 3 rides in a 13 heat format.  These no.7's then double down to the conference.

However, as already suggested people do not want this so I do agree that perhaps less teams say 8 with a minimum average entry into it would be good.

15 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

a 12 team league cabbages the other 2 divisions tbh

30 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

For me if it was a 12 club top league, the no.7 should be a protected rider with the likes of Kemp, Flint etc. being at 7 getting 3 rides in a 13 heat format.  These no.7's then double down to the conference.

However, as already suggested people do not want this so I do agree that perhaps less teams say 8 with a minimum average entry into it would be good.

Promote youth gradually & not like the EDR system a few years ago.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Falcon1983 said:

Im all for promotion of emerging riders (be that youthful or otherwise) however ive always been in favour of being good enough rather than young enough. Protecting riders has done no favours in the past whilst the Aussies have no comfort blanket at all and it is a pure case of sink or swim. There will obviously be riders lost by the wayside who are either no strong enough on or off the track but those that are left will ultimately have made the grade.

• Like 2

It sounds as thought the sale/purchase process has been somewhat drawn out. But wasn't it suggested before the season started that Louis had a 'buy back' clause after the first season in the proposed agreement?!  I'm sure I read that somewhere.

• Like 2

Mmmm, I'm thinking more like a no sale if he doesn't lose money clause.  I very much doubt there was ever going to be a sale,,, just uncle Buster agreeing to pay any debt that may occur

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 3