British Speedway Forum

53 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

What was the excuse for dropping down?

Its on the Rebels WEB site........ Race night, Expenses etc. 

7 hours ago, idh said:

Its on the Rebels WEB site........ Race night, Expenses etc. 

I would have thought a Thurs would have been better avoiding all the football clashes on a Weds unless Swindon objected and the promotion were left facing Monday night racing.

This explains a few things from the Rebels web site

Garry May delighted the gathering of over 100 supporters at the Oaktree Arena on Tuesday night when he confirmed the return of Nico Covatti and the addition of Cornishmen Chris Harris to the Rebels fold.

Earlier the assembly had heard that the Rebels management found themselves in a no-win situation at the AGM conference as they were keen to continue in the Premiership but a combination of costs and the need to change race nights again made it impractical to maintain their membership at the top flight.

Debbie Hancock said "I am sat here this evening still gutted and feeling a sense of failure that we can't bring you the top level speedway, but our ultimate aim has to be the long-term future of Somerset speedway, something that Garry and Dad Bill, share my passion for, so I can only hope that our supporters will continue to support us. We do struggle with footfall here at Somerset because we are not a big town club like many of the Premiership rivals so we have to manage our costs carefully and we could not afford the high costs associated in that league."

With a team limit of 38 points to work with for the Championship, Garry May admitted "it has been devilishly hard to work within such a limit but I promise Rebels fans I will put together the best possible team I can that will not break us as a club. I can confirm that Nico Covatti will be returning after his excellent time here last season when he came on board mid-season and I can also reveal that a deal has been done with Chris Harris who is very keen to ride for us and I believe will do a great job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Always a RACER said:

I would have thought a Thurs would have been better avoiding all the football clashes on a Weds unless Swindon objected and the promotion were left facing Monday night racing.

It would have meant yet another application to SDC to change the planning consent they run under. With all the development just down the road in Highbridge and the NIMBY issues a lot of speedway track have I guess the less times the club's name comes up in front of them the better.

Not them again wanting to change the race night............!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ArthurRudge said:

I'm disappointed at Somerset after such a good go in the Premiership you would think they would want to come back and challenge for the title again. What was the excuse for dropping down?

i don’t think they want to spend money on the good riders that a team requires to compete for the title 

Blimey the Rebels are weak at reserve - no disrespect to the two young guys learning the game they will take time to settle no doubt. I dubious it’s the right tactic building so top heavy.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Starkey return 

18 minutes ago, james1234 said:

Henry Adkins confirmed as the second reserve 

No he isn't but Henry Atkins is.

15 minutes ago, Always a RACER said:

Blimey the Rebels are weak at reserve - no disrespect to the two young guys learning the game they will take time to settle no doubt. I dubious it’s the right tactic building so top heavy.

Imagine a new 4 point Aussie, if so he would fit

20 minutes ago, Always a RACER said:

looking at the make up of other teams though they all will be running 2 pointers[ish] at reserve so that will even things up a bit

Im a fan of both Atkins & Rowe and think they both have big futures but it does show show letting riders keep their Championship averages was a big mistake. With respect to them both and i think they will both improve as the year goes on how are the two youngsters supposed to appear competitive when lining up alongside the likes of Schlien, Harris & Covatti. Long term the average reduction should make the Championship more competitive but in the interim it could be a bigger gulf in standard than ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Im a fan of both Atkins & Rowe and think they both have big futures but it does show show letting riders keep their Championship averages was a big mistake. With respect to them both and i think they will both improve as the year goes on how are the two youngsters supposed to appear competitive when lining up alongside the likes of Schlien, Harris & Covatti. Long term the average reduction should make the Championship more competitive but in the interim it could be a bigger gulf in standard than ever.

How will it make it more competitive in the long term?

13 minutes ago, Najjer said:

How will it make it more competitive in the long term?

The prevention of Premiership heat leaders also being heat leaders in the Championship. Once those riders hit real averages they will be forced to ride in the top tier only meaning the Championship will be filled with Prem 2nd strings, Full time champ riders and NL double uppers. Might not sound exciting on paper but the gulf in standard is greatly reduced and the quality of racing will be improved.

• Like 2