British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Fozzie4388 said:

Atkins and Rowe

Bailey and Kinsley 

Great to see Brits been given a chance this is what reserves should be all about 

Probably add Brennen and Wood to the tally shortly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, idh said:

Room for BWD

Yes I think BWD and Zach W fit or Starkey and Zach W 

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The prevention of Premiership heat leaders also being heat leaders in the Championship. Once those riders hit real averages they will be forced to ride in the top tier only meaning the Championship will be filled with Prem 2nd strings, Full time champ riders and NL double uppers. Might not sound exciting on paper but the gulf in standard is greatly reduced and the quality of racing will be improved.

But it won't because riders who had a Championship average previously, regardless of if they've rode in the Premiership, mantain their Championship averages. Riders like Harris, Nicholls, Cook, King, Schlein, Worrall, Morris, Lawson to name just a few are all available on their Championship average. The likelihood is they will increase that average this year but the points limit will be reset to 42.50 next season anyway to keep the standard we now have. If the points limit goes down again or is kept at 38.00 that is reducing the standard even further again.

I will repeat it again but all the lower points limit has done has bought up more National League riders who will now replace second strings so people like Newman, Wilkinson, Morley etc will be the ones who don't get a team... not the double up riders! It beggars belief the BSPA couldn't see that happening!

More to the point, if the top division is going to be riding on a Monday and Thursday when no other Championship fixtures are taking place, why do we need to phase out double uppers? Surely it was only because a clash of dates and riders missing why it needed scrapping in the first place? :blink:

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Najjer said:

I will repeat it again but all the lower points limit has done has bought up more National League riders who will now second strings so people like Newman, Wilkinson, Morley etc will be the ones who don't get a team... not the double up riders! It beggars belief the BSPA couldn't see that happening!

I agree it’s the 4 to 6 point averaged riders who will be discarded for a 2 point NL rider.

• Like 2

Heat 2 will be ok, but watching the reserves tailed off at the back not very exciting. Waiting for the good news, will it be Conference League admission prices?;)

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Heat 2 will be ok, but watching the reserves tailed off at the back not very exciting. Waiting for the good news, will it be Conference League admission prices?;)

I wasn’t too worried about dropping down a league to start with but once you realise Harris or Schlein will be up against a NL novice it hardly wets the appetite. Last season in the PL a reserve could beat a heat leader consistently - that’s never going to happen in the CL and the racing is likely to be very strung out.

2 hours ago, Always a RACER said:

I wasn’t too worried about dropping down a league to start with but once you realise Harris or Schlein will be up against a NL novice it hardly wets the appetite. Last season in the PL a reserve could beat a heat leader consistently - that’s never going to happen in the CL and the racing is likely to be very strung out.

Back to the bad old days of poor reserves across all clubs which was farcical a few years ago. Why don't the BSPA learn from their mistakes? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, idh said:

Room for BWD

Bit concerned he may end up at Eastbourne. We need him at 4 imo.

21 hours ago, Batman65 said:

i don’t think they want to spend money on the good riders that a team requires to compete for the title 

Not enough people through the gate to get the money to spend on the Premiership is what is boils down to. If they could afford it, without jeopardising the future of the club, they would be in the top flight no question but they can't so they are preserving speedway racing in Somerset for the 20th successive season. They don't want to be there one little bit but needs must.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, oldtimer said:

You say that but with most NL clubs charging £13-14 its still not exactly a bargain rate. 

11 hours ago, Willowman said:

Back to the bad old days of poor reserves across all clubs which was farcical a few years ago. Why don't the BSPA learn from their mistakes? 

In all fairness the reserves aren't poor although some are probably getting moved up a season early. The problem is that the top end is too strong. Changing the averages would have resolved this IF the promotions had taken it in the spirit it was intended and built strength in depth rather than create vast gulfs in their own teams. Its available in the rules so they have done it but its short sighted as the product as a whole will suffer.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

In all fairness the reserves aren't poor although some are probably getting moved up a season early. The problem is that the top end is too strong. Changing the averages would have resolved this IF the promotions had taken it in the spirit it was intended and built strength in depth rather than create vast gulfs in their own teams. Its available in the rules so they have done it but its short sighted as the product as a whole will suffer.

I hear and respect what you're saying.  The way I see it, lowering the points limit to 38 is in general being accommodated at the lower end and as you say, forcing teams to include riders who are not necessarily ready for the step up.  What has happened to the good old days where riders progressed on merit?  This farcical points limit is driving me mad, diluting the CL, forcing riders out of work and killing speedway.  I've never had such a downer about the season ahead as I have now and to be honest, I'm past the point of caring which is quite sad for a supporter of the Rebels since they started and a Bandits fan long before that.  I will of course continue to support until the day I have nothing to support but many of the supporters I stood with years ago no longer do.  I'm probably the last of at least 10.

Watch out PL;  the 38 points limit will be with you too! :(:cry:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, oldtimer said:

No!

2 hours ago, Willowman said:

No!

Shocking value on a season ticket too. If you miss two matches you are out of pocket! Farcial that price reflected against the PL pricing too.

Just when you think it can't get any worse, Jason Doyle has signed for Swindon today :(