British Speedway Forum

52 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I still don't think the penny has dropped with most promotions (including Somerset) the fans & sponsors you do have support the team & riders you had, they bond with the riders & that bond/ support grows. When you have wholesale changes from one season to the next that bond has been lost! If you favorite, second, third & forth favorite riders has gone from the previous season then you may seriously consider continuing your support for YOUR team. 

Do the riders think that way though or are they just chasing the £'s in what could be a short career?

1 hour ago, drew2 said:

Do the riders think that way though or are they just chasing the £'s in what could be a short career?

Riders probably don't give two hoots but fans do. Social media went crazy last year when we announced Doyle was coming back, and not because it was the World Champion but because it felt like 'one of our own'. The same would of happened this year if Jake, BWD and even more so Charles Wright was signed.

The team might do well and looks reasonably strong (I use the term strong as being relevant, and use it loosely) in the league, but nothing about it excites me except seeing Covatti back. It doesn't scream Somerset, it doesn't scream exciting or entertaining, I've never liked Schlein, Harris is just topping up his retirement fund by now and if I have to pay £16 for the privilege I'm sure I'm not alone in considering whether I will bother or not.

It is actually quite sad - I've never felt so downbeat about Speedway and Somerset Speedway in particular in 19 years of following them :(

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Riders probably don't give two hoots but fans do. Social media went crazy last year when we announced Doyle was coming back, and not because it was the World Champion but because it felt like 'one of our own'. The same would of happened this year if Jake, BWD and even more so Charles Wright was signed.

The team might do well and looks reasonably strong (I use the term strong as being relevant, and use it loosely) in the league, but nothing about it excites me except seeing Covatti back. It doesn't scream Somerset, it doesn't scream exciting or entertaining, I've never liked Schlein, Harris is just topping up his retirement fund by now and if I have to pay £16 for the privilege I'm sure I'm not alone in considering whether I will bother or not.

It is actually quite sad - I've never felt so downbeat about Speedway and Somerset Speedway in particular in 19 years of following them :(

I'm the same mate . The ridiculous points limit doesnt fill me with excitement . Even worse for you guys after being upstairs for a couple of seasons . 

Still it means i get to see my team racing at one of my favourite venues again , rather than make the pilgrimage as a neutral as i have done the past two years . 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Najjer said:

Like with Jake Allen, it doesn't come as much of a surprise that Bradley isn't included in the team for next year. I would imagine he's off to Eastbourne.

why do you think brad and jake weren’t in team this year?

7 hours ago, Batman65 said:

It's time to move on. Unfortunately the trend has changed since the halcyon days and riders never stay long now. I wish Jake and Brads all the best !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, idh said:

I think you may be spot on there Kurtz average fits BWD doesn't now

got one correct in the end

12 hours ago, Paulco said:

I'm the same mate . The ridiculous points limit doesnt fill me with excitement . Even worse for you guys after being upstairs for a couple of seasons . 

Still it means i get to see my team racing at one of my favourite venues again , rather than make the pilgrimage as a neutral as i have done the past two years . 

Move on !!! In six months time you will have forgotten all this and embraced the team you have !!! Go Rebels !!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Batman65 said:

For want of a better term, I believe they have 'fallen out of favour'.

• Like 1

Good luck to the 2019 Rebels, top three will definitely have to hit the ground running. I will make an assessment of our chances when the other teams reveal their line ups, at this early stage Scunny look decent.

41 minutes ago, Najjer said:

For want of a better term, I believe they have 'fallen out of favour'.

Could't have put it better Najjer

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:26 PM, Najjer said:

Shocking value on a season ticket too. If you miss two matches you are out of pocket! Farcial that price reflected against the PL pricing too.

Just when you think it can't get any worse, Jason Doyle has signed for Swindon today :(

And it's a  £2-99 admin charge

2 hours ago, Always a RACER said:

Todd Kurtz confirmed 

Congratulations - you've got a good bloke there. A great team man and getting better year after year.

• Like 2

Todd has reached his level at best a 7pt rider but has a uncanny knack of being nearer a 5pt ave at seasons end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lewy said:

Todd has reached his level at best a 7pt rider but has a uncanny knack of being nearer a 5pt ave at seasons end.

Many riders do that towards the end of the season

Edited by Buttons
  • Like 1