British Speedway Forum

Difficult to judge until other sides are complete but there's a lot of question marks over that side. Could do well but wouldn't be a surprise if it was nearer the bottom either.

Schlein on paper is a good signing but is in his last season before retiring, will that have an impact? As the season goes on, it would be natural to just start thinking more about staying safe especially with the injuries he's had over the years. Don't see too much improvement if any in Harris, no matter the level he will be inconsistent and have his fair share of poor meetings which is why his average is always around the same figure. Berge has the potential for a healthy increase but you think that every season, it never seems to happen and he ends up moving on. Kurtz has probably reached his level. The 2 reserves have good potential but both are very young still, neither are quite in the top level of the NL and whilst most other reserves will be from the 3rd tier they will likely have a little more experience.

• Like 1

Why was BWD not signed ? What was the issue?

Todd is a top guy and great team man but I think BWD will have an higher average at the end of the season.

4 hours ago, Najjer said:

For want of a better term, I believe they have 'fallen out of favour'.

they being Jake Allen & BWD

Edited by idh
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 8:46 PM, Willowman said:

Back to the bad old days of poor reserves across all clubs which was farcical a few years ago. Why don't the BSPA learn from their mistakes? 

They have learnt from their mistakes. Rightly so, these young reserves are at Championship level rather than a couple of seasons ago at Premiership level.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BLACKHEART said:

Think Scunny look very poor. Somerset a very good top 5. Berge, Kurtz & Harris will up starting GSA's. Somerset will need one of the reserves to hit the ground running though. 

You'd hope they will up their starting averages otherwise Somerset are in for a very long season. Seen as the points limit is 38.00, if every rider and every team rode to the same level and didnt get better or worse, this teams total average at the end of the season would be 42.00 - 42.50. That shows how much the standard has dropped.

22 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

They have learnt from their mistakes. Rightly so, these young reserves are at Championship level rather than a couple of seasons ago at Premiership level.

.... and in doing so encouraging certain riders to have 2 teams whilst others will be left with none. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BLACKHEART said:

Think Scunny look very poor. Somerset a very good top 5. Berge, Kurtz & Harris will up starting GSA's. Somerset will need one of the reserves to hit the ground running though. 

I agree I think Somerset have a much better top 5 than Scunny, I don’t know enough about the respective reserves.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Najjer said:

Riders probably don't give two hoots but fans do. Social media went crazy last year when we announced Doyle was coming back, and not because it was the World Champion but because it felt like 'one of our own'. The same would of happened this year if Jake, BWD and even more so Charles Wright was signed.

The team might do well and looks reasonably strong (I use the term strong as being relevant, and use it loosely) in the league, but nothing about it excites me except seeing Covatti back. It doesn't scream Somerset, it doesn't scream exciting or entertaining, I've never liked Schlein, Harris is just topping up his retirement fund by now and if I have to pay £16 for the privilege I'm sure I'm not alone in considering whether I will bother or not.

Yes, you're not alone.

A lot will depend on how the reserves pan out, we have traditionally had good reserves , it will be a big ask to these young guys to step up. In saying that as long as they can achieve their 2 point average , that’s it anything else is a bonus. The top guys have got to get the youngsters dialled in quick to the OTA. I hope Rory is not coming just to see the season out , we need him banging in good scores every week, and tbf in this watered down league he should be able. Harris and Covatti will always give 100% as will Todd. Finally Berge , he “could “ be Gary’s ace, if he can put a couple of points on his average he could make himself next seasons surprise package. First couple of months will be interesting, I am a bit sad that not one of Wrighty, BWD or Jake are back, with only Todd having a full season as a Rebel under him, but there you go I suppose. I hope the OTA faithful down in Highbridge and Burnham continue to support the club, I would love to still be able to go most weeks. As stated previously my nearest track is now 160 mile round trip, not gonna happen. 

• Like 1

Im sure the top 5 will be a force around the OTA, the reserves will struggle IMO but its good that they have been given a chance.

when Somerset go away from home to the smaller tighter tracks is when they will come unstuck, Berge has this average for a reason, he is good on a fast open track but on any other tracks he is tosh, he has had this average for the last few years so im not sure he is on a bargain average as some say,  same story pretty much on Kurtz. 

A bit gutted that none of my three must-watch riders are back - Wright, BWD and Allen. At least we have Covatti - but no longer will getting to Oak Tree Arena be a priority given how many demands are being made on what has become a busy life for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speedybee said:

A bit gutted that none of my three must-watch riders are back - Wright, BWD and Allen. At least we have Covatti - but no longer will getting to Oak Tree Arena be a priority given how many demands are being made on what has become a busy life for me.

I can only echo that.

• Like 1