British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

I can only echo that.

Last season I asked myself would I be standing on my own? Now I won't need to ask the question!

I have a slightly different view on the team that has been assembled.

Schlein and Harris are two of the best modern day team riders and both have room for improvement. Moreover, they are team men through and through.

Rowe and Atkins are a risk at reserve, but there won’t be too many other teams that will be strong in that department either. I’m hoping Rory and Bomber will be an integral part in bringing these youngsters on. I certainly don’t buy into the “last season payout” syndrome where Schlein is concerned  He is a fierce competitor and a real winner, as is Harris.

Berge is an excellent signing and always looks good around the OTA.  plenty of point scoring room for manoeuvre with him  

Kurtz knows his way around Somerset and will seamlessly slot back into the team. You know what you’re going to get with Todd.  100% effort wherever he rides.  I can see him riding in the difficult number 2 position and at least maintaining his average.

Nico Covatti I predict will be the star of the season, and will continue his superb performances for the Rebels  

fear not, this is a playoff side, so don’t be surprised if there is more silverware this coming season.

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, rustyre bel1 said:

Is there no concessions for OAPs this year

Don't understand why does anybody know why...….as has been in previous years??

22 hours ago, Willowman said:

Last season I asked myself would I be standing on my own? Now I won't need to ask the question!

This season the riders will know everyone of the crowd by their first name.:):D

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

This season the riders will know everyone of the crowd by their first name.:):D

Really hate all this negativity, you will all be crying when there is no Speedway. We have no choice up here we have rockall. Gary has again put together a decent team that will compete at this level. We have a cracking set up at Somerset, don’t ruin it. People who know me know that I was and am a passionate follower of the Rebels, I really looked forward to going every time I was down there even when times were hard back in the early days. On the odd occasion I get down there now people are so nice and friendly when I pitch up, like they only saw me the other week when in reality it may have been a year maybe. Brilliant clubhouse, good racetrack (again ), and good supporters. I can’t wait for the season to start again to see how it all pans out. 

• Like 7

Still many places to be filled in other teams but I dont imagine there will be any stronger top fives than Somerset`s, though they do look very weak at reserve, maybe Rowe and Atkin will do a job at home but will struggle away. 

3 hours ago, Cliffeboy said:

Really hate all this negativity, you will all be crying when there is no Speedway. We have no choice up here we have rockall. Gary has again put together a decent team that will compete at this level. We have a cracking set up at Somerset, don’t ruin it. People who know me know that I was and am a passionate follower of the Rebels, I really looked forward to going every time I was down there even when times were hard back in the early days. On the odd occasion I get down there now people are so nice and friendly when I pitch up, like they only saw me the other week when in reality it may have been a year maybe. Brilliant clubhouse, good racetrack (again ), and good supporters. I can’t wait for the season to start again to see how it all pans out. 

Cliff it's more a reality of where Speedway is at in this country. I personally think it's absolute suicide to expect people to go from watch Premiership with Doyle, Holder, Iversen and Lambert at £17 and then expect people to rock up and watch Rowe, Atkins and co for £16. That is just madness in my eyes. People can't just keep bringing out the line of "it's better than nothing" because it isn't, I and I am sure many others will go and spend their £16 on something else. The Somerset promotion I've said many times are one of the best in the whole country and have created a great set up, but they've scored a massive own goal by dropping down a league, and then losing Wright, BWD and Allen on top of that. That's a massive own goal in my eyes. 

• Like 1

In defence of our management, they were not happy at all with the points limit so that made it even more difficult to retain a core of ex-PL riders in a CL team. Also it sounds like other clubs pleading poverty are now the ones splashing the cash to poach riders, e.g. CW.

Cliff, my negativity is around the points limit and bear in mind it's our promotions too. How on earth can anyone believe that this develops British Speedway? If this is perpetuated we'll end up with teams full of wobblers on heat leader averages. In fact, we won't even have that as there won't be enough wobblers taking up the sport to meet demand. Just because Speedway is there doesn't mean people will support it so it will die a long lingering death.

Yes we've got a team and Speedway but, let's face it, by the standards of the days we were at this level, across the league, the teams are pretty rubbish.

12 hours ago, Najjer said:

Cliff it's more a reality of where Speedway is at in this country. I personally think it's absolute suicide to expect people to go from watch Premiership with Doyle, Holder, Iversen and Lambert at £17 and then expect people to rock up and watch Rowe, Atkins and co for £16. That is just madness in my eyes. People can't just keep bringing out the line of "it's better than nothing" because it isn't, I and I am sure many others will go and spend their £16 on something else. The Somerset promotion I've said many times are one of the best in the whole country and have created a great set up, but they've scored a massive own goal by dropping down a league, and then losing Wright, BWD and Allen on top of that. That's a massive own goal in my eyes. 

Naj I totally get everything you are saying in the above, however what is the alternative. If the Prem League in its current format is unsustainable for the club we have to change. We were perfectly happy for many years in the 2nd division where we had a healthy following and good success, tbf I was shocked when we made the step up. We did fantastic last season and I think we were all looking forward to taking it further, but if it isn’t sustainable you have to change. What is the point of chasing a dream and maybe crashing the team. Somerset have probably one of the best set ups in any of the leagues tbf if we can’t make it work who can ?

The entrance fee is also a good point with the difference in calibre of riders. Before anyone rips me a new one lol I know I won’t be paying it. Maybe we need to recoup some money from last season, I don’t know for sure but maybe.  You make the point about watching Rowe and Atkins, before you have even see them ride. I think they will probably struggle to start with, they will not be alone, but don’t you just love it when suddenly one of them will pop out of the gate and ride four laps be all over the place and somehow get over the line in front of a more experienced opponent. Crowd goes potty and the kid is overjoyed and maybe goes on to register his best ever score. Different type of entertainment mate. The good thing about Speedway is if in a couple of seasons things have changed we may be able to return to the top flight as Peterborough and Ipswich , if we are no more like Rye and Lakeside we are snookered.

?

• Like 1

See Willowman's reply Cliff who has worded it in a much better way than I could. You ask what the alternative is, the alternative is that people will go and spend their £16 (by the time you park the car, buy a programme and paid for fuel it's going to be more like £20-£25) on something different instead of Speedway. If the product being offered isn't what the fan in question wants, they don't have to like it or lump it - they will just go and do something else.

I believe Somerset said they were planning on running in the PL up until the AGM so they must of thought they could make it pay until a few things didn't go their way at the AGM. Again, that says something about the state of how the sport is run in this country when a club that owns its own track and all of its own facilities felt it was going to be a financial risk too far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willowman said:

In defence of our management, they were not happy at all with the points limit so that made it even more difficult to retain a core of ex-PL riders in a CL team. Also it sounds like other clubs pleading poverty are now the ones splashing the cash to poach riders, e.g. CW.

There was a way to have a higher limit and retain the core of PL riders....

It was to stay PL!

The CL is aiming for a differentiated structure, ultimately removing doubling between the leagues

You cant have your cake and eat it as the saying goes

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

There was a way to have a higher limit and retain the core of PL riders....

It was to stay PL!

The CL is aiming for a differentiated structure, ultimately removing doubling between the leagues

You cant have your cake and eat it as the saying goes

What is the need for doubling up to be removed now with Monday and Thursdays being used in the PL and no teams racing in the Championship on a Thursday?

Surely the only problem before was riders missing matches. Now that won't be a problem, surely more meetings for riders meaning they could afford to take less of a wage per match can only be good for teams and more riders being available can only be good for teams. It's such an ill thought out idea YET AGAIN from the BSPA!

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cliffeboy said:

You make the point about watching Rowe and Atkins, before you have even see them ride. I think they will probably struggle to start with, they will not be alone, but don’t you just love it when suddenly one of them will pop out of the gate and ride four laps be all over the place and somehow get over the line in front of a more experienced opponent. Crowd goes potty and the kid is overjoyed and maybe goes on to register his best ever score.

Hmmmm. That’s what we all hoped for Jack Smith at Swindon this year but it didn’t happen and he lost confidence.

In the interests of progression it might work if every Championship club included one rider who rode solely in the NL the previous season and achieved a minimum 7 point average.

And if Kemp 9.15 and Flint 8.55 are given 2 point starting averages, the same as Rowe 7.26 and Atkins 6.9, it is wrong.

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

See Willowman's reply Cliff who has worded it in a much better way than I could. You ask what the alternative is, the alternative is that people will go and spend their £16 (by the time you park the car, buy a programme and paid for fuel it's going to be more like £20-£25) on something different instead of Speedway. If the product being offered isn't what the fan in question wants, they don't have to like it or lump it - they will just go and do something else.

I believe Somerset said they were planning on running in the PL up until the AGM so they must of thought they could make it pay until a few things didn't go their way at the AGM. Again, that says something about the state of how the sport is run in this country when a club that owns its own track and all of its own facilities felt it was going to be a financial risk too far.

Once again I agree with you mate, but if you do then go and spend your money elsewhere you will lose your Speedway that’s a given. If what’s offered is all Somerset can offer it’s up to the individual punter what he does, all I’m saying is it may not always be like this for us, use it or lose it. 

As for the Gary May thing didn’t he hint in the Star something about dropping a division if things didn’t pan out at the AGM. 

Definitely not trying to pick holes in you guys I know you are all set in stone Somerset supporters, and maybe cos we have nothing up here I a bit worried it could all go t**ts up for you lot which would be a tragedy. You are all right when you say what a state Speedway is in, but it’s difficult to see a solution. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Hmmmm. That’s what we all hoped for Jack Smith at Swindon this year but it didn’t happen and he lost confidence.

In the interests of progression it might work if every Championship club included one rider who rode solely in the NL the previous season and achieved a minimum 7 point average.

And if Kemp 9.15 and Flint 8.55 are given 2 point starting averages, the same as Rowe 7.26 and Atkins 6.9, it is wrong.

Agree with you to a point about Jack Smith but tbf to him it was the top division he was struggling in. He may find it easier at the second level.