British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, DC2 said:

Hmmmm. That’s what we all hoped for Jack Smith at Swindon this year but it didn’t happen and he lost confidence.

In the interests of progression it might work if every Championship club included one rider who rode solely in the NL the previous season and achieved a minimum 7 point average.

And if Kemp 9.15 and Flint 8.55 are given 2 point starting averages, the same as Rowe 7.26 and Atkins 6.9, it is wrong.

And now we have someone suggesting that 2 16 year olds with no real experience are picked out for handicapping in their first season in the CL! 

I despair :(

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

And now we have someone suggesting that 2 16 year olds with no real experience are picked out for handicapping in their first season in the CL! 

I despair :(

Don’t despair, be realistic; speedway riders have averages regardless of their age and fairness is particularly important for team-building.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Don’t despair, be realistic; speedway riders have averages regardless of their age and fairness is particularly important for team-building.

In fact I dont think Flint is even 16 yet - therefore what other realistic starting assessed average could he possibly be given than the basic 2

This is all because it doesnt suit your club

I am absolutely sure had Kemp and or Flint signed for Somerset this would not have been your stance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

In fact I dont think Flint is even 16 yet - therefore what other realistic starting assessed average could he possibly be given than the basic 2

I am absolutely sure had Kemp and or Flint signed for Somerset this would not have been your stance

DC2 is not a Somerset fan. I believe they're a Swindon fan.

58 minutes ago, Najjer said:

DC2 is not a Somerset fan. I believe they're a Swindon fan.

Point taken although they often comment on and appear to have an affinity to Somerset

4 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

No, it’s about be objective and fair. Nothing more.

29 minutes ago, DC2 said:

No, it’s about be objective and fair. Nothing more.

Fair enough - then I simple have a different opinion and accept your assurance of no bias :t:

23 hours ago, Najjer said:

Cliff it's more a reality of where Speedway is at in this country. I personally think it's absolute suicide to expect people to go from watch Premiership with Doyle, Holder, Iversen and Lambert at £17 and then expect people to rock up and watch Rowe, Atkins and co for £16. That is just madness in my eyes. People can't just keep bringing out the line of "it's better than nothing" because it isn't, I and I am sure many others will go and spend their £16 on something else. The Somerset promotion I've said many times are one of the best in the whole country and have created a great set up, but they've scored a massive own goal by dropping down a league, and then losing Wright, BWD and Allen on top of that. That's a massive own goal in my eyes. 

Some teams in the championship were charging £17 last season

I remember a few years back our team in the 2nd division was Doyle, Nick Morris and Josh Graz' so what's changed, have the riders costs gone way up and why? as a result are riders asking for more money?  are the owners of some stadium's  charging more rent?  Is the financial situation so bad Somerset cannot reduce admission for OAP's?

If people are going to pay more for less something needs to be done to make an evening at speedway more than 15 minutes of racing. There is now plenty of speedway on TV, you have Swedish and Polish speedway with top stars. So why would you want to go and stand in the cold to watch it live. If it was football, or Darts or many other sports the answer would be, Well it not the same on TV you don't get the atmosphere. and there's the problem, speedway at many tracks has no atmosphere, love them or hate them air horns added to the excitement, the jingles like you have 2 minutes, or music specific to each rider or wipe out when you got a 5-1, or perhaps even one firework at the end of a meeting, or not doing interviews when the tractor grade obliterates the riders reply, or a club mascot for the kids, (used to think Wolverhampton's Mr Wolf was great). I remember the old Bristol  flag man dressed up in his flashy suit, dancing around when he waved the flag. It's difficult if you don't have a grandstand as people are spread around, but there is no excuse not to play up to date mood and uplifting music to create excitement, or an announcer who sounds enthusiastic. Why in boxing do the competitors get such an over the top introductions, it's not to make the match boring is it.  Speedway does nothing to attract new young customers, and the old boys, who make up a large percentage of the fans, will drift away because of it's no longer value for money and they will sit in front of the fire in the warm with a glass of wine and remember the old days when you could smell the methanol and the bikes were louder and your favourite rider ( for whom you had his coffee cup and rosette and badge) stayed for more than one season.  

Edited by oldtimer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bandit59 said:

Some teams in the championship were charging £17 last season

Or more in 1 case, if you did not book in advance.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 8:57 AM, Always a RACER said:

I doubt it as he’s a Somerset asset 

he was a rebels asset but he is riding for scunny 

Can I ask but maybe I am stupid why don't Somerset get a 2.5%deduction for Chris Harris as I see Richie Worral has on a higher average ??

9 minutes ago, scillyclam said:

Can I ask but maybe I am stupid why don't Somerset get a 2.5%deduction for Chris Harris as I see Richie Worral has on a higher average ??

Because the reduction is for coming through the Conference/National League prior to riding for the team in a higher league. Richie rode in the Conference team I think at Scunny, but Harris probably only rode for Trewlawny in the PL before going on to bigger teams.

7 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Because the reduction is for coming through the Conference/National League prior to riding for the team in a higher league. Richie rode in the Conference team I think at Scunny, but Harris probably only rode for Trewlawny in the PL before going on to bigger teams.

Didn't Bomber ride for St Austell in the Amateur/Conference League while he was 15?

• Like 2