British Speedway Forum

Had a look already and would go occasionally if £13 but not £16. The Leicester deal looks good £1 off programme early admission, prize draw. It's not just the admission but petrol, car park (I'm on my own), programme something to eat, it works out at just short of £30 for 15 mins racing and a burger.  Not blaming, Somerset they have to cover costs, but cannot understand how a club who owns it's own facilities cannot offer a bit more. I remember the last time a had a season ticket, many years ago, you had a free programme included.

Edited by oldtimer

1 hour ago, westlakejawa said:

With Jake's statement on him joining Ipswich it appears that apart from supporters wish list,there was no chance of him returning to Somerset anyway.

“I’m very excited, I had a strong end to my 2018 season and it’s something I’m looking forward to building on for the 2019 season,” said Allen. “It will be good for me to get away from Somerset also, a few things went on behind the scenes last year that I was quite disappointed with and how they were handled, so it will be great to have a breath of fresh air here at Ipswich.” 

I had mentioned earlier in the thread when he signed for Scunthorpe, it was no surprise that he wasn't staying with us.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Najjer said:

“I’m very excited, I had a strong end to my 2018 season and it’s something I’m looking forward to building on for the 2019 season,” said Allen. “It will be good for me to get away from Somerset also, a few things went on behind the scenes last year that I was quite disappointed with and how they were handled, so it will be great to have a breath of fresh air here at Ipswich.” 

I had mentioned earlier in the thread when he signed for Scunthorpe, it was no surprise that he wasn't staying with us.

No it was no surprise seeing it had already been announced he was back at Scunny.

Jake was fiercely critical of the track last year and became unpopular with the track staff. Whilst his popularity grew with the fans, it decreased considerably with the management. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Jake was fiercely critical of the track last year and became unpopular with the track staff. Whilst his popularity grew with the fans, it decreased considerably with the management. 

But wasn't the track largely below standard last year? Heard several reports of riders unhappy with the surface (riders who had been happy with it for many previous years). Now it could have been the higher league influence, a whinging aussie influence or something else but Somerset is one of the best race tracks in the country and until last year its been rare to hear a bad word said about it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

But wasn't the track largely below standard last year? Heard several reports of riders unhappy with the surface (riders who had been happy with it for many previous years). Now it could have been the higher league influence, a whinging aussie influence or something else but Somerset is one of the best race tracks in the country and until last year its been rare to hear a bad word said about it.

The Track was well below par for at least the first half of the season, Jake and any other rider had every reason to be vocal considering they are the ones taking all the risks . Naturally it depends on how professionally you voice your concerns.Didnt Jake lodge with Debbie Hancock last season ?

52 minutes ago, Always a RACER said:

The Track was well below par for at least the first half of the season, Jake and any other rider had every reason to be vocal considering they are the ones taking all the risks . Naturally it depends on how professionally you voice your concerns.Didnt Jake lodge with Debbie Hancock last season ?

He was on twitter, I can't remember exactly what time, but about mid season asking for somewhere to live. Put 2 and 2 together on that....

You are also exactly right about the track for the first half of the season, it was almost as bad as the last time Ez left.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Najjer said:

He was on twitter, I can't remember exactly what time, but about mid season asking for somewhere to live. Put 2 and 2 together on that....

Correct Najjer I picked that up as well, it was more the tail end of the season than mid 

• Like 1

Yep why would a club change a track so thier riders have no advantage of outside inside passing  and take six months to get it right,one that likes to come second,think it’s a great move for team Allen to leave the nest,apprenticeship over ,witches advantage ,will be one to watch in 2019 

Foxhall will present a major challenge to Jake Allen’s style of riding. I’m sure he will succeed eventually, but can’t help think he’s going to struggle with the track initially. 

7 minutes ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

Foxhall will present a major challenge to Jake Allen’s style of riding. I’m sure he will succeed eventually, but can’t help think he’s going to struggle with the track initially. 

What makes you say that ER?

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

What makes you say that ER?

Jake isn't renowned for his gating for starters. More his inside dives into turn 3!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

I think he goes ok there to be fair. I know some places he hates much more than Foxhall (and for Jake the good news is one track is no longer operating and the other is being changed over the winter ;))!!

4 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Jake isn't renowned for his gating for starters. More his inside dives into turn 3!

He can trap with the best of them when he is on form Najjer but I agree that divebomb into bend three was a specialty of his!