British Speedway Forum

10 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

You obviously arent aware of the facts and it certainly wasnt a case of Worky outbidding anyone... 

All you need to do is look at the Workington team to see it was built to a tight budget also BWD wasn't going to ride in the Championship this year until Worky came in for him...

Regards 

THJ 

Clearly not tight enough was it? As you said in your last post, even if only marginally BWD was offered a better deal at Workington. That makes the promotion fall in line with so many of the past clubs that have gone to the wall that haven't stuck to a budget within their means.

• Like 1

I heard from a reliable source. That Redcar approached Wilson Dean, before they announced their 1 to 7. His demand's were to high. I also don't believe that Charles Wright's demands were to high. Redcar Promotion will never pay over the odds to bring in a rider. I personally think that Charles wanted to return to the Bears.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikebaker said:

I heard from a reliable source. That Redcar approached Wilson Dean, before they announced their 1 to 7. His demand's were to high. I also don't believe that Charles Wright's demands were to high. Redcar Promotion will never pay over the odds to bring in a rider. I personally think that Charles wanted to return to the Bears.

as  BWD did want to ride @ workington in 19 . ii have moved jobs , not for better pay . 

works both ways ,  dunnit ? .

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tyretrax said:

See you have inherited the forum fannies. :rolleyes:

i see you joined as well !

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

Clearly not tight enough was it? As you said in your last post, even if only marginally BWD was offered a better deal at Workington. That makes the promotion fall in line with so many of the past clubs that have gone to the wall that haven't stuck to a budget within their means.

As stated "you are not aware of the facts surrounding the demise of Workington Speedway" they haven't "Gone to the wall" as you have so eloquently put it; however you have your own opinion and I respect that; but it needed pointing out that 1. BWD didn't want to go back to Somerset this year and 2. the deal wasn't the breaker as no matter how much GM did or did not offer BWD he didn't want to go back to the OTA and finally 3. BWD did not want to ride for Somerset in 2019... are you picking up on the theme here

Now Charles Wright who said he would ride for Somerset then changed direction and headed off to Redcar; well who knows what his reason was for doing that, but no doubt you will have your own opinion on that one as well

Regards
THJ

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jenga said:

so , its got nothing to do with the local football team coming over to Derwent park and the football league making them make alterations to the width of the pitch  ( as it does not meet the required min width)  and by doing so encroach about 1/3 of the speedway track on the home and back straight . the reds would have to move from their ground so the place can be flattened  and the new,  all singing, all dancing stadium  could be built . that would leave the speedway team with a totally un acceptable track in which to race on . therefore making the speedway team having to pull out of the league and be fined bucket loads of cash , i do believe . i got this info from a mate in the pub .  hic tic .. .

Yep....was told this was a fact during the Town v Haven match on Sunday......'Reds' moving to DP to allow new stadium build on their pitch and old greyhound patch.

Fixtures are now out - no mention of the Pairs as of yet and the first time I can recall no fixture scheduled for good Friday.

48 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Fixtures are now out - no mention of the Pairs as of yet and the first time I can recall no fixture scheduled for good Friday.

Speedway GB are probably going to try to launch the big dates in one announcement.   The U-21 Final is at Berwick again this year (in April) but isn't on the list issued on BSPA site this morning.

With Workington sadly not running, does that mean fewer fixtures as I assume most teams have already sold season tickets for X number of fixtures.   

It seems a bit odd there are only 2 home fixtures in May which are 4 weeks apart. At least we have Speedway to watch I guess considering Workingtons plight.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RebelDan said:

It seems a bit odd there are only 2 home fixtures in May which are 4 weeks apart. At least we have Speedway to watch I guess considering Workingtons plight.

Unfortunately there are not enough fixtures to ensure regular meetings every month. Overall I think that the balance is better than last year and we've got 3 meetings in July and 4 in August. No matter how the fixture list was compiled it is inevitable that there would be some negative comments. I've been reading through some of the posts from the Premier League and although I was initially disappointed that we dropped down a league, I'm now of the opinion that we're going to have a better season in the Championship. Speedway in the UK is in a mess and as you point out, we have speedway to watch. I'm looking forward to the season starting and I'm optimistic that we will have some good entertainment at the OTA this year.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, oldtimer said:

With Workington sadly not running, does that mean fewer fixtures as I assume most teams have already sold season tickets for X number of fixtures.   

One less home (& Away) league fixture, obviously.  Berwick have already announced that their Bordernaplois meeting will now be included for those Season Ticket holders.  

Looks to me that they moved us (Newcastle) into the "Scottish" Group, to replace the Comets, so it won't affect Glasgow, Edinburgh and Berwick for the Shield, but will now affect Sheffield, Redcar and Scunthorpe, I would guess!!

Don't know about the KOC as the draw for that wasn't announced (either that or I didn't see it!!).

11 hours ago, TonyO said:

Unfortunately there are not enough fixtures to ensure regular meetings every month. Overall I think that the balance is better than last year and we've got 3 meetings in July and 4 in August. No matter how the fixture list was compiled it is inevitable that there would be some negative comments. I've been reading through some of the posts from the Premier League and although I was initially disappointed that we dropped down a league, I'm now of the opinion that we're going to have a better season in the Championship. Speedway in the UK is in a mess and as you point out, we have speedway to watch. I'm looking forward to the season starting and I'm optimistic that we will have some good entertainment at the OTA this year.

Yes you're right, not enough fixtures - as things stand - unfortunately promoters still have their heads in the sand, let's have all teams twice in the league, make the league winners league champions. Then have some form of cup competition @ the end of the season. If required shorten the season rather then have big gaps in the fixtures mid season.

We desperatly  need some forward (& outside of the box) thinking persons on the BSPA (or working for the BSPA) right now would be the ideal time rip up the existing fixtures & start again.