British Speedway Forum

Ghosty will max respect i think you are totally missing the point here.

demise of Workington and Lakeside is I think related to cash-flow, look too Mildenhall who we nearly lost too. 

Too many CL / NL matches end of last season crammed in October to cover wet start, mis-management of Fixtures by BSPA in hot soccer obsessed summer then some weird wonderful decisions especially affecting Lakeside and Workington (like the decision to make Lakeside re run Peterborough at Rye House).

FANS talk with their pocket, structure of 2 max 3 home meetings a month affordable to far more than 6 or 7 meetings in month like some CL/NL Clubs had last October, more matches means more fixed costs like stadium rent / paramedic cover / programmes etc.

All adds up. think days of Speedway every Wednesday (in our teams cases) for 26-28 weeks mid March to mid October gone, if not forever for immediate future. If way to go is home and away alternates like soccer 15 matches in 24 - 30 weeks to save speedway has to be better than more Clubs going to the wall.

At moment almost all seem to be in "survival mode" only a few emitting any kind of positivity, like Poole (as ever) Eastbourne (new Management) IOW (excellent innovators) ; Kent (bankrolled by Len but for how long); Sheffield (seem to have got their act together again). 

Good Luck in 2019 to all

• Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 1:54 PM, Najjer said:

Fixtures are now out - no mention of the Pairs as of yet and the first time I can recall no fixture scheduled for good Friday.

I'm sure i saw a tweet somewhere earlier in the week saying we were hosting one of the British Under 21 Semi Finals and think it might well have been on Good Friday, I'm sure the date was a Friday and it was certainly in April.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, drew2 said:

I'm sure i saw a tweet somewhere earlier in the week saying we were hosting one of the British Under 21 Semi Finals and think it might well have been on Good Friday, I'm sure the date was a Friday and it was certainly in April.

April 19th:

https://www.younglionsspeedway.co.uk/2019-dates/

• Like 2

On 1/26/2019 at 11:49 AM, HGould said:

Ghosty will max respect i think you are totally missing the point here.

demise of Workington and Lakeside is I think related to cash-flow, look too Mildenhall who we nearly lost too. 

Too many CL / NL matches end of last season crammed in October to cover wet start, mis-management of Fixtures by BSPA in hot soccer obsessed summer then some weird wonderful decisions especially affecting Lakeside and Workington (like the decision to make Lakeside re run Peterborough at Rye House).

FANS talk with their pocket, structure of 2 max 3 home meetings a month affordable to far more than 6 or 7 meetings in month like some CL/NL Clubs had last October, more matches means more fixed costs like stadium rent / paramedic cover / programmes etc.

All adds up. think days of Speedway every Wednesday (in our teams cases) for 26-28 weeks mid March to mid October gone, if not forever for immediate future. If way to go is home and away alternates like soccer 15 matches in 24 - 30 weeks to save speedway has to be better than more Clubs going to the wall.

At moment almost all seem to be in "survival mode" only a few emitting any kind of positivity, like Poole (as ever) Eastbourne (new Management) IOW (excellent innovators) ; Kent (bankrolled by Len but for how long); Sheffield (seem to have got their act together again). 

Good Luck in 2019 to all

I don't think I'm missing the point, with the current scenario with fixtures (Prem & Champ) you get 2 things:

1. Riders not having enough meetings with ONE TEAM & therefore having to double up or down.

2. Supporters without their regular weekly speedway fix - loose interest, find other things to do or simply get out of the habit!

What I think we can all agree on is Speedway in the U.K. needs a major overhaul...........  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I don't think I'm missing the point, with the current scenario with fixtures (Prem & Champ) you get 2 things:

1. Riders not having enough meetings with ONE TEAM & therefore having to double up or down.

2. Supporters without their regular weekly speedway fix - loose interest, find other things to do or simply get out of the habit!

What I think we can all agree on is Speedway in the U.K. needs a major overhaul...........  

I think Speedway at the moment is in survival mode, and better to have Speedway than none at all.

Its a vicious circle, riders want more fixtures and more money, so promoters need more fans to come through the gate, to pay riders more money, but the fans are not there anymore. It's too late for an overhaul should have been done years ago. Supporters have moved on, kids spend all their spare time on their phones or Xboxes and such like, even when you do see kids at Speedway invariably most of them are running around playing not watching the Speedway,  you do not see kids out on bikes pretending to be Woofy, or Magic anymore, there are so many more things for them and adults to do today, not like it was in Speedways glory years.

Promoters to don't help either by raising the entrance fee, that seem to be their only answer to dwindling crowds, with the latest being the avid fan who is probably now the wrong side of 60, is having to pay the same as adults at some tracks, which will probably make crowds dwindle even more. Time will tell.

• Like 2

I have been watching Aston Villa for 30 years, never been every week, on average it alternates.

I am a Member at Warwickshire for 5 years, it alternates home and away

I like to go Horse Racing at Cheltenham, there are 6-8 Fixtures a season.

i dont walk away from those because they dont run every week; encourages me more!

Why then should we expect a Speedway Team to only thrive if it runs weekly. I agree with what Buttons says in many ways.

If Team have a stable Home / Away Ratio, min 2 max 3 meetings per month the fans will soon get used to it and accommodate it. as Buttons says better than nothing.

In any sport if you can't make a full time living out of it, you have to be more flexible. In our sport riders need to be flexible but also need help with costs.

I do agree about Adult Admission Rates, I think £15-£16 is as much as you can charge but as an OAP now any Club that gives me even a few bob off will have my support.

I also like to see Clubs encouraging young fans too so more that do zero or low rate entry for children the better.

Edited by HGould
  • Like 1

A speedway fixture  at home every two weeks . i would be happy with that and as HGould above says . one at home every two weeks will make you want to go every fortnight . i would be keen as flip .

• Like 1

Fixtures a complete waste of space, not a single Friday night meeting. Pointless dropping down a league to race on a Wednesday.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, nbaynes said:

Fixtures a complete waste of space, not a single Friday night meeting. Pointless dropping down a league to race on a Wednesday.

There is one on Good Friday, British Under 21 Semi Final.

Back when it was announced we were returning reluctantly to the Championship it was always stated that we would remain on a Wednesday evenings and would be the only Championship team racing that night too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, drew2 said:

There is one on Good Friday, British Under 21 Semi Final.

Back when it was announced we were returning reluctantly to the Championship it was always stated that we would remain on a Wednesday evenings and would be the only Championship team racing that night too.

Birmingham will be riding on a Wednesday too.

12 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Birmingham will be riding on a Wednesday too.

They will be now of course yes. forgot them as they weren't accepted into the League at the time of the Rebels fans evening.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, oldtimer said:

With Workington sadly not running, does that mean fewer fixtures as I assume most teams have already sold season tickets for X number of fixtures.   

Good point! As a Sheffield supporter I'll be paying £16 entry fee. If I'd bought a season ticket I'd be paying £215 for 13 matches (£16.54 per match!)

17 hours ago, nbaynes said:

I'm sure you will find it was for financial reasons the Rebels dropped from the Premier league. However I think the common view that Wednesday proved a far better choice of race night,  only because it avoided the Friday M5 jams. So if you have a way to avoid the Friday traffic jams I'm sure the Hancocks would like to know!   

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

I'm sure you will find it was for financial reasons the Rebels dropped from the Premier league. However I think the common view that Wednesday proved a far better choice of race night,  only because it avoided the Friday M5 jams. So if you have a way to avoid the Friday traffic jams I'm sure the Hancocks would like to know!   

I assure you transportation on a wed is far easier than a Friday

• Like 3