British Speedway Forum

Totally agree.

Wednesday night travel in 2018 from Wolves was under two hours each time :t:.

Previously I have been watching the sunset at Bristol frantically listening to Sally Traffic on Radio 2. :angry:

17 hours ago, drew2 said:

There is one on Good Friday, British Under 21 Semi Final.

Back when it was announced we were returning reluctantly to the Championship it was always stated that we would remain on a Wednesday evenings and would be the only Championship team racing that night too.

Has the date been confirmed for the British Under 21 Semi Final? It still says TBC on the SGB website. Good news though,  the pairs has been announced for Friday 20th September. Thursday 19th September Swindon at home to Poole, Friday the pairs at the OTA and off to Cardiff on the Saturday. Fit in a few rounds of golf and that's my long weekend sorted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyO said:

Has the date been confirmed for the British Under 21 Semi Final? It still says TBC on the SGB website. Good news though,  the pairs has been announced for Friday 20th September. Thursday 19th September Swindon at home to Poole, Friday the pairs at the OTA and off to Cardiff on the Saturday. Fit in a few rounds of golf and that's my long weekend sorted.

What a great plan Tony!!

Imagine how good it would of been if we could of had a Sunday afternoon match after the British GP. Don't know how possible that would of been with the council, but would of been a bumper weekend at Somerset.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Najjer said:

Imagine how good it would of been if we could of had a Sunday afternoon match after the British GP. Don't know how possible that would of been with the council, but would of been a bumper weekend at Somerset.

Reading did it in about 2005 and it was a case of “after the lords mayors show”,  having a meeting the day before Cardiff is a much better call IMO rather than the day after as it will always be an anti climax.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:15 AM, Ghosty said:

I'm sure you will find it was for financial reasons the Rebels dropped from the Premier league. However I think the common view that Wednesday proved a far better choice of race night,  only because it avoided the Friday M5 jams. So if you have a way to avoid the Friday traffic jams I'm sure the Hancocks would like to know!   

The thing is though most of the teams in the league are Northern based so there will be very few away supporters at most home meetings so I don’t really get the argument about the traffic, the club managed ok for over a decade on Fridays (noting traffic will always be worse on a Fri compared to a Wed). 

Its simply not the same on a Weds the feel good factor of starting the weekend on a Friday night at the Racing  cannot be replicated on a Weds night plus less kids will be in attendance as it’s a school night.

5 hours ago, RebelDan said:

The thing is though most of the teams in the league are Northern based so there will be very few away supporters at most home meetings so I don’t really get the argument about the traffic, the club managed ok for over a decade on Fridays (noting traffic will always be worse on a Fri compared to a Wed). 

Its simply not the same on a Weds the feel good factor of starting the weekend on a Friday night at the Racing  cannot be replicated on a Weds night plus less kids will be in attendance as it’s a school night.

Fridays on the M5 are horrendous I travel up from Exeter and that's really bad, coming the other way is even worse. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, idh said:

Fridays on the M5 are horrendous I travel up from Exeter and that's really bad, coming the other way is even worse. 

I do the same journey and have done for 5 years without any real issues. Granted coming west bound in July/Aug can be problematic but fixtures can be planned around that. As I said IMO Weds seem pretty flat compared to Fridays and the club will have far less youngsters in attendance which can’t be a good thing.

13 hours ago, RebelDan said:

Reading did it in about 2005 and it was a case of “after the lords mayors show”,  having a meeting the day before Cardiff is a much better call IMO rather than the day after as it will always be an anti climax.

Have the Pairs the night before and a League match on the Sunday. I'd imagine there would be a big crowd especially if the right opponnent was picked.

13 hours ago, RebelDan said:

I only travel from Bridgwater and even that was a nightmare on a Friday even when going the back lanes. It must be x10 worse if you are coming from even further away.

• Like 2

Purely selfish opinion on my behalf, as an orphan Bees fan Somerset  are my adopted team due to the long weekend option, Golf on Friday and Rebels on Friday night was much more attractive.

Just seems to me Rebels will miss out on a fair few of the Weston weekend visitors. Wednesday seems a bit uninspiring, kids at school etc etc.

Time will tell.

Berge has quit somerset 

22 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Berge has quit somerset 

Better off without him as is the whole of Speedway, if you don't like it Berge then begger off. Got enough problems as it is without the incredible sulk kicking off every year.

• Like 4