British Speedway Forum

With the greatest of respect all of the options mentioned so far will make us a lot weaker. 

As others have mentioned Berge’s reason for quitting seems a bit odd.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RebelDan said:

With the greatest of respect all of the options mentioned so far will make us a lot weaker. 

As others have mentioned Berge’s reason for quitting seems a bit odd.

"Convenient" is the word that comes to mind.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

"Convenient" is the word that comes to mind.

'Convenient' Dave ?,,, a dunno, maybe nobody wants to work with him 'full time' ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, screm said:

Welcome Valentin Grobauer.

Never heard of him, good luck tho. Sorry guys not confident at all with our side this year. 

Grobauer is a team mate of Mark Riss at Landshut in the German Bundesliga. He is not yet riding at the same level as the Riss brothers, but is not far behind Mark Riss in the German league averages.

He's 24 so he should be pushing on now,looking at his scores over the last two seasons that I can find 4-5 points per meeting is normal,having said that did not find many 0's,bottom end of the team looks to weak for a title run but will see in a few months time.have been wrong before!

9 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

Grobauer is a team mate of Mark Riss at Landshut in the German Bundesliga. He is not yet riding at the same level as the Riss brothers, but is not far behind Mark Riss in the German league averages.

More another Henning Loof,than a Matten Kröger or Stephan Katt?

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

That's worrying in itself. What a shocking signing if that's the case.

Berge was going to be a bit of a trump card and would of been mustard at the OTA within a couple of months I'm sure. The fact they're hoping the new rider will achieve his starting average is really concerning - whose improving their averages by enough other than Covatti?

• Like 1

I remember Danny Masson at Rye and he was way out of his depth I’m afraid.

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Oh no, don't panic, he's definitely not another Henning Loof, who was a no hoper, even here in Germany.

Grobauer is a pretty good speedway rider, much better rider than Loof. He's a useful second string for my local Bundesliga Club Landshut. I would rate Grobauer in the top 10 here in Germany. He has made steady progress in recent years, riding in Poland's second division last year. It will be interestuing how he adopts to British speedway. That's always unpredictable, as it is a complete change of livestyle. 

It may be a gamble for Somerset, but he could turn out to be a good signing. After all, the SGB Championship is not full of world beaters theses days. Grobauer may surprise a few over there. He deserves a fair chance.

• Like 1

Just for fun, here's my current Top Ten of German speedway riders:

1 - Martin Smolinski

2 - Kevin Wölbert

3 - Kai Huckenbeck

4 - Erik Riss

5 - Max Dilger

6 - Michael Härtel

7 - Tobias Busch

8 - Mark Riss

9 - Lukas Fienhage

10 - Valentin Grobauer

• Like 2

It sounds like we have been shopping in a well known German budget store. Good luck to the lad.

3 minutes ago, RebelDan said:

It sounds like we have been shopping in a well known German budget store. Good luck to the lad.

3 minutes ago, RebelDan said:

Who's paying travel cost? cash strapped rebels!

On 2/3/2019 at 11:41 PM, CountyGround said:

Who's paying travel cost? cash strapped rebels!

Who said Somerset were strapped for cash in the Championship,

Premiership possibly,  "cut  your coat according to the cloth" comes to mind

They had the sense not to throw money away so that they could operate at a lower level , not like some other clubs who have gone to the wall (unfortunately)

Edited by idh
  • Like 3