British Speedway Forum

Anybody know who is riding in both teams for Rebels v Poole ? 

Edited by oldtimer
change to text

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

No team suits and just racejackets that look like they made in the 1980s again this year :(

Does it really matter? Especially as we aren't in the top tier this season. Majority of teams probably won't have team suits. Would rather save money on that and use it elsewhere that needs it. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Thought it was just the teams from this season but probably with a NL guest for Poole to even the sides up more. So Schlien, Todd, VG, Covatti, Harris, Atkins, Rowe - Holder, Josh, Worrall, Klindt, Brady, NBJ, guest. 

How did the lads and track look today? Any work on it after a bad year last season? 

2 hours ago, SomersetBlue said:

Does it really matter? Especially as we aren't in the top tier this season. Majority of teams probably won't have team suits. Would rather save money on that and use it elsewhere that needs it.

Does it really matter - in my opinion, yes. Top division or not, they look like a bunch of amateurs from the 80s at the moment. Hardly appealing to new sponsors. When you look at Ipswich, they look the part with a great image to put under the nose of investors.

Money could actually be made from aside from other sponsors on them. Other clubs like I think Leicester and Glasgow to name two have ordinary seen the chance of getting fans to pay for them and then keep them at the end of the year. A silent auction could be held which could generate profit to put back into the club. Can’t do that to the same extent with race jackets from the antiques roadshow.

• Like 1

Thought it was just the teams from this season but probably with a NL guest for Poole to even the sides up more. So Schlien, Todd, VG, Covatti, Harris, Atkins, Rowe - Holder, Josh, Worrall, Klindt, Brady, NBJ, guest. 

How did the lads and track look today? Any work on it after a bad year last season? 

Track was slick and dusty (understandably on a sunny afternoon) but looked smooth all round. 

Henry looked quick as did Anders despite starting his scrap metal collection already with an brand new engine fit for the bin!

Valentin looked more of a Katt than a Kroger as favoured the outside line more it seemed but looked quick out there and said the track is similar to his home track in Germany which bodes well.

7 hours ago, Najjer said:

Does it really matter - in my opinion, yes. Top division or not, they look like a bunch of amateurs from the 80s at the moment. Hardly appealing to new sponsors. When you look at Ipswich, they look the part with a great image to put under the nose of investors.

Money could actually be made from aside from other sponsors on them. Other clubs like I think Leicester and Glasgow to name two have ordinary seen the chance of getting fans to pay for them and then keep them at the end of the year. A silent auction could be held which could generate profit to put back into the club. Can’t do that to the same extent with race jackets from the antiques roadshow.

If it's the same as last season didn't we have 6 sponsors on the jackets? That's more than some other teams get on a race suit as riders like the arms and legs for their own sponsors. Just look at Cook with Peterborough. Boro wanted to put sponsors on the arms and Cook wanted his own sponsor, now they have to find a new rider. You can still auction off these jackets and I imagine they will. Only  3 teams out of 11 will have team suits this season: Glasgow, Newcastle and Leicester. 

Edited by SomersetBlue
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SomersetBlue said:

If it's the same as last season didn't we have 6 sponsors on the jackets? That's more than some other teams get on a race suit as riders like the arms and legs for their own sponsors. Just look at Cook with Peterborough. Boro wanted to put sponsors on the arms and Cook wanted his own sponsor, now they have to find a new rider. You can still auction off these jackets and I imagine they will. Only 4 teams out of 11 will have team suits this season: Glasgow, Newcastle, Ipswich and Leicester. 

Ipswich dropping down again already?

6 hours ago, SomersetBlue said:

If it's the same as last season didn't we have 6 sponsors on the jackets? That's more than some other teams get on a race suit as riders like the arms and legs for their own sponsors. Just look at Cook with Peterborough. Boro wanted to put sponsors on the arms and Cook wanted his own sponsor, now they have to find a new rider. You can still auction off these jackets and I imagine they will. Only  3 teams out of 11 will have team suits this season: Glasgow, Newcastle and Leicester. 

I don’t think you’ve understood what’s gone on with Peterborough and Cook if you think that’s the case.

As I’ve also said - the suits could pay for themselves and maintain a professional look.

Edited by Najjer

Folk have long complained that not enough second division speedway comes on telly, maybe BT would be more inclined to show Championship meetings if all teams wore matching race wear. 

15 hours ago, oldtimer said:

How about Anders riding for Poole and the Rebels getting an extra 7 pointer as a guest to even things up.

3 hours ago, Cliffeboy said:

How about Anders riding for Poole and the Rebels getting an extra 7 pointer as a guest to even things up.

Rowe is riding for Poole with Starke guesting for Somerset

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Rowe is riding for Poole with Starke guesting for Somerset

Ok cheers The Cheese.

14 hours ago, Najjer said:

I don’t think you’ve understood what’s gone on with Peterborough and Cook if you think that’s the case.

As I’ve also said - the suits could pay for themselves and maintain a professional look.

Cook admitted that himself in his statement. He wanted his own sponsors on the kevlars and Peterborough wanted their sponsors in colour and on the arms. 

At £6k for a set and then race jackets too for spares, it's a lot of money to make up. Don't get me wrong I would love to have race suits they do look professional but I don't see anything wrong with race jackets either. 

Edited by SomersetBlue
  • Like 3

Cook admitted that himself in his statement. He wanted his own sponsors on the kevlars and Peterborough wanted their sponsors in colour and on the arms. 

At £6k for a set and then race jackets too for spares, it's a lot of money to make up. Don't get me wrong I would love to have race suits they do look professional but I don't see anything wrong with race jackets either. 

A quick google search shows that Dstar would charge £3,584 excluding VAT for a complete team. Hardly ground breaking money when you compare it against an auction to purchase them, and also the additional sponsor coverage. Not to mention nearly half the figure you have quoted. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Najjer said:

A quick google search shows that Dstar would charge £3,584 excluding VAT for a complete team. Hardly ground breaking money when you compare it against an auction to purchase them, and also the additional sponsor coverage. Not to mention nearly half the figure you have quoted. 

That's £5k with the VAT..

At circa £20 a punter it means you need to use 250 punters worth of admission money to cover it...

Over a season would you gain/lose 250 punters by running with/not running with race suits.?

Probably not I would think..

It's good to see clubs starting to look at their businesses as something more than a 'play thing' and trying to get them on a firmer footing..

And as has already been said, regularly one, two, three (and sometimes four and more), guests per meeting renders race suits an irrelevance anyway...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mikebv said:

That's £5k with the VAT..

At circa £20 a punter it means you need to use 250 punters worth of admission money to cover it...

Over a season would you gain/lose 250 punters by running with/not running with race suits.?

Probably not I would think..

It's good to see clubs starting to look at their businesses as something more than a 'play thing' and trying to get them on a firmer footing..

And as has already been said, regularly one, two, three (and sometimes four and more), guests per meeting renders race suits an irrelevance anyway...

The VAT is refundable so is irrelevant for a Ltd company to a certain extent so the figure without VAT is what is relevant.

As has been said previously clubs have managed to do auctions to pay for the suits and actually turn a profit from it. Look professional, attract more sponsors AND make money - why would you not??

• Like 2