British Speedway Forum

I think there’s one more to go, feel Todd is at risk now. 

19 hours ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Wonder what the reasons are ? Too much pressure maybe ? 

Looking at some of the reserve list it's very hard on the youngsters to try & earn enough to cover there outgoings unless they have major backers ( or parents & sponsors ect ) it's a shame that some of them are having to drop out of there teams but unfortunately it's the best way forward for there career for the future.. but hopefully in the next few year we can have a good crop of young riders going on to the top of there game as there are some really good lads coming through the youth system so let's hope the likes of Rob painter & woffy and Neil vatcher ect can work dome magic..

There is more to this than meets the eye ! How is it that after the awful match at Berwick just a week before and No1 returns only 3 points and nothing is said and yet within a week we have lost one popular and improving rider and another who is a Somerset asset who is making inroads to his form and regain of confidence after injury and later an off that would have seen most riders withdraw from the meeting ! Did these lads simply leave by their own will or were their departures part of a bigger plan, so they were made to feel so uncomfortable that leaving was their only option ??? !!!:rolleyes:

Edited by Aroundtheboards
Grammar !
  • Like 2

From the Rebels WEB Site http://www.somerset-speedway.com/news.php?extend.2548

Kurtz out Morris in Gary not messing about 

Following the decisions of both Valentin Grobauer and Henry Atkins to step down from the Somerset Rebels, team manager Garry May has taken on a new strategy of going for a very heavy top four attack that has cost Todd Kurtz his place in the Rebels seven, as they welcome back former number one Nick Morris, and will operate with a brace of two pointers at reserve.

May explained the rationale behind the move that despite having such a strong attack, with a trio of eight pointers, falls under the 40 point limit to which teams can be built. "Our place in the play-offs is still not guaranteed and we face some stern opponents over the final run-in and so I felt that we couldn't afford to slip up. With Henry and Valentin on fairly low averages I could have just gone for a like-for-like change but felt that as too often this season, we have just fallen short of what could be some precious points, we needed some extra fire-power to improve our chances of making the top four. 
When I saw that Nick Morris was available it looked the perfect opportunity, although to be able to introduce him I needed to shave some points from somewhere else and take the gamble that, although it would leave us with a long tail, we would have a superb top four. 
"Unfortunately that led me to having to make a difficult call to Todd Kurtz and let him go. It was probably one of the hardest things I have had to do but to his credit he accepted the reasons behind the move and he took it on the chin.

Completing the team rebuild May has drafted in 22 year old Welshman Nathan Stoneman and 20 year old Londoner Luke Harris both two pointers which means 17-year old Anders Rowe steps up into the main body team in only his first season at Championship level, a move that May also admits is a bold one.

"I spoke to Anders about the plans I had, explaining that his improved average would move him out of the reserve berth under the new team structure, and he agreed that he would take the challenge on. It's without question that a big step for him and I am encouraged by his attitude."

The Rebels have eight more league matches to fulfil and May has set a minimum target of 12 more to give them on a total of 36 to make the play-offs. Their first opponents under their new look will be second placed Glasgow on Wednesday, the Tigers having already won four out of their five away matches to-date.

Bold moves by a Somerset promotion who whiff a touch of desperation this season. I fear that failure to reach the play off could spell financial disaster given the make up of the side. After the hairdryer treatment has led to departure from the side of two likable riders lets hope the newcomers are given a little bit more compassion. Nathan Stoneman is certainly talented but tends to override his ability and that generally ends up with spells on the injury list. Luke Harris is a rider who i have waited to see kick on for a couple of years and its not really happened,  i think the ability is there but the equipment is probably going to see him fall short of any meaningful assault on the Championship. 

1 hour ago, Aroundtheboards said:

There is more to this than meets the eye ! How is it that after the awful match at Berwick just a week before and No1 returns only 3 points and nothing is said and yet within a week we have lost one popular and improving rider and another who is a Somerset asset who is making inroads to his form and regain of confidence after injury and later an off that would have seen most riders withdraw from the meeting ! Did these lads simply leave by their own will or were their departures part of a bigger plan, so they were made to feel so uncomfortable that leaving was their only option ??? !!!:rolleyes:

Seems abit cynical that point of view - Why would he need to make them feel uncomfortable? Gary May could of just replaced them whenever he wanted to.

The signing of Nick Morris isn't actually that much of a gamble. The combination of the bottom 4 has been very little away from home so Nick Morris along with the odd point from Rowe and Stoneman should more than better that. Mind you, Nick Morris has been pretty average at best for Wolves so he will need to up his game considerably if he is to return to his best.

Not surprised to see Kurtz go. He should of been pushing a 6.50 average easily this year but has gone backwards.

• Like 3

If Covatti is missing against Glasgow will it be  R/R as he is no 4 in averages

13 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Seems abit cynical that point of view - Why would he need to make them feel uncomfortable? Gary May could of just replaced them whenever he wanted to.

The signing of Nick Morris isn't actually that much of a gamble. The combination of the bottom 4 has been very little away from home so Nick Morris along with the odd point from Rowe and Stoneman should more than better that. Mind you, Nick Morris has been pretty average at best for Wolves so he will need to up his game considerably if he is to return to his best.

Not surprised to see Kurtz go. He should of been pushing a 6.50 average easily this year but has gone backwards.

I have reliable information that makes me have that "cynical view" ! I have just read the new team listings, that wasn't thrown together in a day was it !!! Let's leave it at that. 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2019 at 12:59 AM, CountyGround said:

Would Nick Morris fit?

Does Gary May read this forum?                 I think the move for Morris will do him a power of good & in turn have the desired effect on the Rebels results.

Former Rebels mascot Nathan Stoneman could be a good move BUT ONLY if he has the decent machinery required for the pacy Oaktree!

32 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

THey cant be short of dough paying money for that top 4

From my two visits this season - the gate receipts would cover the bottom 3 okay, not so sure about top 4 though :unsure:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The H Man said:

From my two visits this season - the gate receipts would cover the bottom 3 okay, not so sure about top 4 though :unsure:

:rofl:

I have reliable information that makes me have that "cynical view" ! I have just read the new team listings, that wasn't thrown together in a day was it !!! Let's leave it at that.

These are supposed to be grown men competing for a sports team where the ultimate goal is to win. If the German can't hack getting a telling off from the manager every now and then, then he is in the wrong line of work if that makes him, and I quote you, "feel uncomfortable".

Somerset have had since last Wednesday night to, and I quote again, "throw a team together". A whole 4/5 days depending how you look at it. There is no rocket science needed for speedway so it probably could take a single day, yes.

For what it's worth, I would of sacked Schlein after the Sheffield away match if I had been team boss. When you throw in the Berwick one aswell that should of without doubt been the final straw if it was 50/50 after the Sheffield meeting.

• Like 2

Guest Loose Diamond

Garry May. Don't Panic. Top 4 at any cost.