British Speedway Forum

Guest Loose Diamond
1 minute ago, Najjer said:

These are supposed to be grown men competing for a sports team where the ultimate goal is to win. If the German can't hack getting a telling off from the manager every now and then, then he is in the wrong line of work if that makes him, and I quote you, "feel uncomfortable".

Somerset have had since last Wednesday night to, and I quote again, "throw a team together". A whole 4/5 days depending how you look at it. There is no rocket science needed for speedway so it probably could take a single day, yes.

For what it's worth, I would of sacked Schlein after the Sheffield away match if I had been team boss. When you throw in the Berwick one aswell that should of without doubt been the final straw if it was 50/50 after the Sheffield meeting.

But he's kept his place.

9 minutes ago, Loose Diamond said:

But he's kept his place.

Needed to win the pairs with Bomber!

21 minutes ago, Najjer said:

For what it's worth, I would of sacked Schlein after the Sheffield away match if I had been team boss. When you throw in the Berwick one aswell that should of without doubt been the final straw if it was 50/50 after the Sheffield meeting.

But May supported Schlein and rightly so there isn’t a limitless number of riders of his quality you could sign and calling out dangerous and poorly prepared tracks needs to be highlighted.

German riders have an issue with attitude and commitment as Egon Muller stated for their lack of international progress in speedway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GWC said:

But May supported Schlein and rightly so there isn’t a limitless number of riders of his quality you could sign and calling out dangerous and poorly prepared tracks needs to be highlighted.

German riders have an issue with attitude and commitment as Egon Muller stated for their lack of international progress in speedway.

I would question Schlien’s calling out of tracks,there would not be many meetings go ahead if he had his way ,his attitude is a disgrace ,the race times at Berwick were on par with every other meeting, what he did not like was a grippy track ,fans are getting p# sped off with riders like him’s attitude.Somerset fans are moaning about their track being far too slick this season ,now you know the reason why.Gate and go Schlein!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Najjer said:

These are supposed to be grown men competing for a sports team where the ultimate goal is to win. If the German can't hack getting a telling off from the manager every now and then, then he is in the wrong line of work if that makes him, and I quote you, "feel uncomfortable".

Somerset have had since last Wednesday night to, and I quote again, "throw a team together". A whole 4/5 days depending how you look at it. There is no rocket science needed for speedway so it probably could take a single day, yes.

The whole way May has handled this has been shoddy to match his turnout !

Edited by Aroundtheboards

Bellers 101 said: "Somerset's top 5 led to the 2 young lads being thrown at reserve.

Blame the management. They built the team that way."

I'd rather blame those at the AGM, who pleaded poverty & insisted on such a stupidly low points limit, which people like Garry May argued against, stating that 42.5 should be retained so as to not dilute the product.

In fact they wanted it even lower at 36, saying they wouldn't run if it wasn't brought in. In the end it was compromised at 38, with the increase to 40 this month. Guess what those  same 'Poverty Pleaders' are still in the league at 40 points,  when apparently they couldn't run unless it was 36, strange that isn't it. :nono:

Edited by womble53
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, womble53 said:

I'd rather blame those at the AGM, who pleaded poverty & insisted on such a stupidly low points limit, which people like Garry May argued against, dating that 42.5 should be restrained so as to not file the product.

In fact they wanted it even lower at 36, saying they wouldn't run if it wasn't brought in. In the end it was compromised at 38, with the increase to 40 this month. Guess what those  same 'Poverty Pleaders' are still in the league at 40 points,  when apparently they couldn't run unless it was 36, strange that isn't it. :nono:

The 40.00 points limit that is in place currently though, is the same points limit it was at the start of the season though just with inflated numbers. The standard hasn't gone up since the start of the season, it is in fact exactly the same.

Surely if the points limit was 38 at the start of the year then the would have evened out to around 42 once the season started.

So, if the limit is now at 40 for changes, that is weaker than at the start of the year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Surely if the points limit was 38 at the start of the year then the would have evened out to around 42 once the season started.

So, if the limit is now at 40 for changes, that is weaker than at the start of the year.

I was talking about Somerset, who have albeit made like for like changes - not a reflection on the whole league.

Of course with rolling averages and lack of matches it takes longer for the full effect of the 42.00ish to take full effect thus meaning rolling averages don't keep a true reflection of the inflation involved.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 1

I'm not a person who writes a lot on forums but tonight I thought that I'd make an exception.

Some recent comments have appeared to suggest that someone or something must be to blame for the need to make changes, but does that really have to be the case? Speedway is a competitive sport and as in any competitive sport there should be a desire to win, and sometimes to do this a manager needs to make decisions that are not always popular. I've been to most home meetings and the occasional away meeting this season and overall I've been pleased with the performances and the entertainment value, with a combination of watching young riders develop and the skills that the more experienced riders bring with them. I also enjoyed watching some races where Bomber has team ridden to protect Henry when he (Henry) has gated well.

I don't think that Henry has regained his confidence fully since his injury, but I think and hope that he has a long future in the sport. He's only a young lad and I believe that he'll continue to improve, but maybe a bit too much was being expected of him, at this crucial stage of the season. He appears to be a sensible lad and maybe he is aware of his current limitations, especially away from the OTA, where he doesn't get the protection from Bomber. Had it not been for a few potentially confidence knocking falls I think he would have progressed further, but maybe not as much as Anders who continues to impress. Sometimes it takes guts to put your hand up and say that all does not feel right. I just hope that the step up to the main body of the team isn't asking too much of Anders and that he can take the step up in his stride. As regards to Todd Kurtz, he has not impressed me this season and whilst he might consider himself a bit unfortunate to lose his place, I don't think he can have too many complaints and I'm sure that he'll find another club very soon. I'm looking forward to watching the new line up, not least because the weaker bottom end of the team puts greater pressure on the experienced riders, who all need to be competitive from the start of every meeting. The days of the second half Rebels have gone for the time being, but with it there should be some closer meetings and entertaining races, well hopefully anyway. We can go into heat 13 a few points behind and still have a realistic hope of winning whether at home or away. We might not be in the top league but we've had two number 1's from the top league in our team at the same time!

When I look round the rest of British Speedway I'm a bit surprised at some of the negativity seen in the comments on this thread, because it appears to me that Somerset is in a much healthier position than the vast majority of clubs and I think the promotion deserve the support that they get from the majority of supporters.

Finally I hope that the Rebels golf day that Andrew puts a lot of effort into organising is another great success and gets the support and good weather that it deserves .

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, TonyO said:

I'm not a person who writes a lot on forums but tonight I thought that I'd make an exception.

Some recent comments have appeared to suggest that someone or something must be to blame for the need to make changes, but does that really have to be the case? Speedway is a competitive sport and as in any competitive sport there should be a desire to win, and sometimes to do this a manager needs to make decisions that are not always popular. I've been to most home meetings and the occasional away meeting this season and overall I've been pleased with the performances and the entertainment value, with a combination of watching young riders develop and the skills that the more experienced riders bring with them. I also enjoyed watching some races where Bomber has team ridden to protect Henry when he (Henry) has gated well.

I don't think that Henry has regained his confidence fully since his injury, but I think and hope that he has a long future in the sport. He's only a young lad and I believe that he'll continue to improve, but maybe a bit too much was being expected of him, at this crucial stage of the season. He appears to be a sensible lad and maybe he is aware of his current limitations, especially away from the OTA, where he doesn't get the protection from Bomber. Had it not been for a few potentially confidence knocking falls I think he would have progressed further, but maybe not as much as Anders who continues to impress. Sometimes it takes guts to put your hand up and say that all does not feel right. I just hope that the step up to the main body of the team isn't asking too much of Anders and that he can take the step up in his stride. As regards to Todd Kurtz, he has not impressed me this season and whilst he might consider himself a bit unfortunate to lose his place, I don't think he can have too many complaints and I'm sure that he'll find another club very soon. I'm looking forward to watching the new line up, not least because the weaker bottom end of the team puts greater pressure on the experienced riders, who all need to be competitive from the start of every meeting. The days of the second half Rebels have gone for the time being, but with it there should be some closer meetings and entertaining races, well hopefully anyway. We can go into heat 13 a few points behind and still have a realistic hope of winning whether at home or away. We might not be in the top league but we've had two number 1's from the top league in our team at the same time!

When I look round the rest of British Speedway I'm a bit surprised at some of the negativity seen in the comments on this thread, because it appears to me that Somerset is in a much healthier position than the vast majority of clubs and I think the promotion deserve the support that they get from the majority of supporters.

Finally I hope that the Rebels golf day that Andrew puts a lot of effort into organising is another great success and gets the support and good weather that it deserves .

Couldn't, agree more, while I'm sad that Valentin has packed in, he was slowly getting there but Henry has struggled since his injury and Kurtz apart from the odd ride has been woeful, he,s even struggled in heat 8 more often than not, I'm surprised he,s lasted so long.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyO said:

Thanks Tony! Fingers crossed for a good day for the 7th edition of it!

....and that is why we should of been paying Charles Wright whatever he wanted to be no.1 for us! Congratulations to him.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Najjer said:

....and that is why we should of been paying Charles Wright whatever he wanted to be no.1 for us! Congratulations to him.

Certainly more entertaining than your present No 1

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Certainly more entertaining than your present No 1

Nick Morris is Somerset's No 1