British Speedway Forum

Luke's a nice lad but surely this 2-point rule is offering youngsters like him as lambs to the slaughter. He's not ready for CL speedway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Luke's a nice lad but surely this 2-point rule is offering youngsters like him as lambs to the slaughter. He's not ready for CL speedway.

Thats the approach that Somerset have taken all year. I would like to think that Luke has considered his options and ensured he gets a guarantee per meeting but will that be enough compared to tarring his reputation? He isn't kicking on at NL yet just showing glimpses of form and his bikes won't keep up with the pace of 2 leagues but with just 7 meetings left and a couple of the weaker reserves within those teams there is a chance of a point or two. 

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

It was well rumoured he was offered a deal by Somerset who were effectively outbid by Redcar for his services.

ahh , another rumour ........  from what pub was that from then ?

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Thats the approach that Somerset have taken all year. I would like to think that Luke has considered his options and ensured he gets a guarantee per meeting but will that be enough compared to tarring his reputation? He isn't kicking on at NL yet just showing glimpses of form and his bikes won't keep up with the pace of 2 leagues but with just 7 meetings left and a couple of the weaker reserves within those teams there is a chance of a point or two. 

Hope so for Luke's sake. Don't want to see another youngster stand down from speedway. Far too much of that going on at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

He's on less at Redcar than he was at Somerset. Don't believe what your leaders spread,.

I expect he is, especially considering he last rode for Somerset in the top tier.

It's also well rumoured he was offered a 'less than handsome deal' to ride for Somerset this year though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:17 PM, Najjer said:

The 40.00 points limit that is in place currently though, is the same points limit it was at the start of the season though just with inflated numbers. The standard hasn't gone up since the start of the season, it is in fact exactly the same.

And the reason is you need over 45 points to win a match, if they start next season on a 38 limit you will have to lose half the current riders. 

Wow, that is ridiculously top heavy. 

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Rowe is in Top5 now

Being a Swindon fan i am pretty P......  off to be honest,  Anders has had a great season and  has made real progress but he should not be in the top 5 yet.I just hope all the good work is not ruined by being pushed into a position he is not ready for yet does May really think or care about Anders long term ?he is not there asset

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

And the reason is you need over 45 points to win a match, if they start next season on a 38 limit you will have to lose half the current riders. 

The total averages will be 42.00-42.50 though and not 45.00 because of the x4 multiplier whereas some riders will of had x5 rides. If the total team average for the start of next season is anything less than that then they are yet again weakening the product further and further again.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Najjer said:

The total averages will be 42.00-42.50 though and not 45.00 because of the x4 multiplier whereas some riders will of had x5 rides. If the total team average for the start of next season is anything less than that then they are yet again weakening the product further and further again.

All this chopping and changing of team building averages is doing the sport no favours. As stated above the 42.5 number is king and what is needed to balance out sides otherwise it creates falsely high averages and then after one season riders get frozen out as a new crop of non ready riders take their places, no disrespect to any but 50% of the 2 pointers in the Champs are there because of their average and not ability. 

• Like 4

It also lead to riders being unemployable due to their averages not fitting, not just this year but previous years as well. Take Workington, last year, who only made 1 enforced change through injury but 6 of 7 riders finished with averages between 6.5 & 7.2. Lakeside, also, finished with a 44.2 average.

This year, it is Berwick, again, not making any changes(last year only 1) & having a team average for August of 41.4, 2019 average of 40.5(all meetings) with a team rolling average(including end of '18 for some riders) of 40.9. This proves 38 was too low, bringing in too many riders not ready for this level of racing.

Can I just ask , with Somerset holding the pairs competition the night before cardiff and with a large  contingent of speedway fans of various clubs in attendance , will Somerset as well as having a great track to entertain us all , also have great facilities to accommodate us all . Having been in attendance for the last 3 years and travelled a good distance from (Glasgow) I find it disappointing to sit on a grass bank and have to use a portaloo, is there any chance if possible of temporary seating being used for a large crowd?

37 minutes ago, Tigeratheart said:

Can I just ask , with Somerset holding the pairs competition the night before cardiff and with a large  contingent of speedway fans of various clubs in attendance , will Somerset as well as having a great track to entertain us all , also have great facilities to accommodate us all . Having been in attendance for the last 3 years and travelled a good distance from (Glasgow) I find it disappointing to sit on a grass bank and have to use a portaloo, is there any chance if possible of temporary seating being used for a large crowd?

As the Pairs is a BSPA staged event surely this should be aimed more at them than Somerset to stump the cost of hiring such a structure??

• Like 1

Moving the Cardiff GP to later in the year means the weather at Somerset may not be as good as in previous years, meaning the grass banks could well be wetter and therefore more uncomfortable for spectators.

• Like 1

Well done Somerset in the play offs again. I must admit I feared for us when Berge was a no show, but once again Gary has found a way. Definitely not a fan of the playoffs , especially this season where Leicester have been superb, whatever happens they are the true champs in my eyes even if we nick it. Looking forward to coming down next week for my now rare visits to the OTA for the Pairs. If you see me say hello .

• Like 1