British Speedway Forum

Don't get me wrong I would have loved Wright, Bradders and Jake to be in the team but guess what it's speedway and it doesn't always go your way. We have a team and have to get behind them. I like the team tbh I personally think we have the best top 5 in the league and I can't see Brummies, Eastbourne, Redcar or Newcastle having very much better top 5's. Reserves are obviously the weakness but still good to see young riders getting the chance which pretty much every team has. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cliffeboy said:

Tbf didn’t think we would get Jack this season , can’t say about Wrighty cos we are in the wrong division. He probably had a deal in place before we went Championship.

Im led to believe that Jack wanted to stay and had we wanted him he would of been riding for us. He was a revelation for us and would of been madness to not want him back.

It's also fairly common knowledge we offered terms to Wright and Redcar, presumably, after pleading poverty at the AGM offered more than we was prepared to offer. Another poster today though seemed to suggest the money offered to Wright by Somerset wasn't great. I can't comment on that, but it's borderline suicide after building bridges, getting him in for the cup final, getting fans hopes up and then not resigning him.

48 minutes ago, SomersetBlue said:

Don't get me wrong I would have loved Wright, Bradders and Jake to be in the team but guess what it's speedway and it doesn't always go your way. We have a team and have to get behind them. I like the team tbh I personally think we have the best top 5 in the league and I can't see Brummies, Eastbourne, Redcar or Newcastle having very much better top 5's. Reserves are obviously the weakness but still good to see young riders getting the chance which pretty much every team has. 

Somerset's team is strong in comparison to most - but that's what you would now expect. We are a big fish in a small pond. We dominated the 2nd division for years and will be there or there shouts to do the same again I'm sure. However.... you say we have to get behind them, why do we? Fans are allowed to have their say and they don't have to back anybody.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Najjer said:

Somerset's team is strong in comparison to most - but that's what you would now expect. We are a big fish in a small pond. We dominated the 2nd division for years and will be there or there shouts to do the same again I'm sure. However.... you say we have to get behind them, why do we? Fans are allowed to have their say and they don't have to back anybody.

Not really we obviously aren't in the best place financially because of our adventure to the top league. That will obviously of had an effect on team building, it's probably why we have two young reserves tbf. However much we don't like what the club do though it's the club that we chose to support and should back them. Heck i'm a Birmingham City fan so I know all about having to look past the things I don't like to support my club. 

• Like 1

A Birmingham City fan? Goodness me SomersetBlue, I cannot believe you have admitted that......

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

A Birmingham City fan? Goodness me SomersetBlue, I cannot believe you have admitted that......

Surely my profile pic was enough of a pointer. Anyway I only said it to back my point, there are plenty of things at both clubs I don't like but they are the teams you choose and you should follow them no matter what. I chose both clubs because of my Uncle Steve and he was the same as me. He wouldn't have liked the fact that we haven't got the fan favourites but he still would have been there through thick and thin. 

On 12/13/2018 at 9:39 PM, Najjer said:

Im led to believe that Jack wanted to stay and had we wanted him he would of been riding for us. He was a revelation for us and would of been madness to not want him back.

It's also fairly common knowledge we offered terms to Wright and Redcar, presumably, after pleading poverty at the AGM offered more than we was prepared to offer. Another poster today though seemed to suggest the money offered to Wright by Somerset wasn't great. I can't comment on that, but it's borderline suicide after building bridges, getting him in for the cup final, getting fans hopes up and then not resigning him.

All good points Naj, but if we had stayed in the Prem , and based on Jacks progress with us last season do you not think that had Poole offered him a better deal than us , would he have stayed? A similar scenario may have been the case with Charles, he is well liked by the supporters, is in the form of his life, and is even backed by our manager, but it always comes down to money . I don’t believe ( I don’t know ) we are a club that doesn’t pay good money to riders, we are renowned for being well run and never not paying our guys. We have attracted some of the best riders over the years that have entertained us and won us lots of trophies. Having been self employed myself I know how it works sometimes you have to go where the bucks are. In saying that we have a decent team again imo. I also would have loved to have had BWD , Wrighty and Jake back, ain’t gonna happen, good luck to them and we move on. Let’s stop going on about who isn’t here and concentrate on who is. We have signed an icon of British speedway in Bomber Harris. He is a South coast guy as well , almost a local lol. Covatti how exciting is he!  

Have faith in our management, and our riders , I’m sure we will be there or thereabouts  at the sharp end. 

It does seem odd that the team who won the KO Cup and could have easily won the league have been gazumped by high and mighty Redcar for the rider who many fans wanted signed above all others and who was majorly hyped at the end of last season and who still has his best years ahead of him. Let’s hope next season is a different story. For now let’s get behind the OTA old guard.  

1 hour ago, speedybee said:

It does seem odd that the team who won the KO Cup and could have easily won the league have been gazumped by high and mighty Redcar for the rider who many fans wanted signed above all others and who was majorly hyped at the end of last season and who still has his best years ahead of him. Let’s hope next season is a different story. For now let’s get behind the OTA old guard.  

You have to take into account what the rider thinks is best for him,his little fallout with May might be in the back of his mind.I don’t believe for a minute that Harris is cheaper than Wright.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, speedybee said:

Redcar probably offered No 1 status money to Wrighty whereas the Rebels has probably already spent big on Harris/Schlien and offered Charles far less.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, speedybee said:

At what cost though Speedy our success last season. I think you will find that on previous years there had been speculation about us moving up, but we always knocked it back. Last year was terrific we did so well and so very nearly did the double, but it wasn’t to be, our management had decided this is the best road for us, and I’m with them. In future years if things change maybe we will have another go in the top league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cliffeboy said:

At what cost though Speedy our success last season. I think you will find that on previous years there had been speculation about us moving up, but we always knocked it back. Last year was terrific we did so well and so very nearly did the double, but it wasn’t to be, our management had decided this is the best road for us, and I’m with them. In future years if things change maybe we will have another go in the top league. 

It was their intention to run in the top division but have said some things didn't go their way at the AGM and that's why they dropped down when they didn't want to. One of the decisions that didn't go their way was the change of race day again to a Thursday. If they were intending to run in the top tier though you would anticipate they felt they could make it pay with a couple of changes.

3 hours ago, Always a RACER said:

Redcar probably offered No 1 status money to Wrighty whereas the Rebels has probably already spent big on Harris/Schlien and offered Charles far less.

I'm sure the majority of us would of preferred Charles as no.1 over Schlein and Harris

• Like 3

On 12/14/2018 at 2:25 AM, wtf said:

I think the funny bit is that his replacement cost more money than he was asking for,  but some people at the club still see him as a £40 a point reserve from 2013. 

Same story with bwd, was offered not a lot more than that to ride for Somerset next season and had to turn them down. But they will pay his replacement more?? Weird I think...

• Like 1

I think a few people need to get their facts right before posting on here.

• Like 1

Checked Leicester and Sheffield websites.You get a£3 discount on concessions with both @£13.Concessions for season tickets for both students and OAPs are priced @ £170 .Both clubs have a variety of fringe benefits as well( see their websites).’

• Like 1