British Speedway Forum

VAT is not refundable . its only offset against items bought . only refunds available is when you have been assessed wrong or paid too much . 

but you still have to pay it in the first place in order to get something back on paper .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jenga said:

VAT is not refundable . its only offset against items bought . only refunds available is when you have been assessed wrong or paid too much . 

but you still have to pay it in the first place in order to get something back on paper .

Obviously - but in simple terms is refundable. I probably should of used the reclaim instead of refundable, if the company is a limited company and VAT registered with a turnover over a certain amount - which they will be.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 1

I think it’s very short sighted to talk about the cost of racesuits being prohibitive, speedway needs to be more open minded and recognise that there is a need to improve the image of our clubs and how professional they come across. In terms of sponsorship, image, getting new people in to watch and just looking like a proper team then matching kevlars if not bike covers too are an absolute must. How many riders who whose club just have race jackets will be wearing brand new kevlars underneath anyway this or next month? 

Lynn, Peterborough and Ipswich all look fantastic and the Premiership has missed a trick with the other four clubs refusing to get involved too, it would have given the whole competition a proper identity and they could have done a launch day with a big fanfare involving a rider from each team in team racesuits and matching machines. 

Looking like a bunch of waifs and strays was all well and good in the eighties and nineties but this is 2019 and sport has moved on. Speedway is obsessed with dumbing down when it needs to go the other way to get itself out of its hole. 

• Like 3

Spot on. Just laziness by the promotions. As has been pointed out suits can be owned and loaned by supporters/sponsors

Edited by Fingersfin
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

Obviously - but in simple terms is refundable. I probably should of used the reclaim instead of refundable, if the company is a limited company and VAT registered with a turnover over a certain amount - which they will be.

if the company is a LIMITED company. they still have to pay a  %age of item that are not in the normal VAT range . but they pay a flat rate ( less ) on ALL items bought . this balances things out in the long term . 

49 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think it’s very short sighted to talk about the cost of racesuits being prohibitive, speedway needs to be more open minded and recognise that there is a need to improve the image of our clubs and how professional they come across. In terms of sponsorship, image, getting new people in to watch and just looking like a proper team then matching kevlars if not bike covers too are an absolute must. How many riders who whose club just have race jackets will be wearing brand new kevlars underneath anyway this or next month? 

Lynn, Peterborough and Ipswich all look fantastic and the Premiership has missed a trick with the other four clubs refusing to get involved too, it would have given the whole competition a proper identity and they could have done a launch day with a big fanfare involving a rider from each team in team racesuits and matching machines. 

Looking like a bunch of waifs and strays was all well and good in the eighties and nineties but this is 2019 and sport has moved on. Speedway is obsessed with dumbing down when it needs to go the other way to get itself out of its hole. 

speedway will never be a pro sport with the guys n gals in charge . also , no need for suits ,whats wrong with the helmet colours . has belle vue not got matching suits ? its like putting go faster stripes on a reliant robin .( not knocking them , i used to have one oops ):o i am with cookie on this thing with Peterborough .

you can only miss so many tricks andd then you are classed as ignorant, (bspa/scb)

enjoy the 4 months of speedway. yep , it will be that short .

In view of the Cook issue perhaps Poole let riders display their own sponsors and avoid any club sponsor problems.

Or maybe a carpet cleaning company isn’t quite sexy enough!

4 hours ago, jenga said:

if the company is a LIMITED company. they still have to pay a  %age of item that are not in the normal VAT range . but they pay a flat rate ( less ) on ALL items bought . this balances things out in the long term . 

speedway will never be a pro sport with the guys n gals in charge . also , no need for suits ,whats wrong with the helmet colours . has belle vue not got matching suits ? its like putting go faster stripes on a reliant robin .( not knocking them , i used to have one oops ):o i am with cookie on this thing with Peterborough .

you can only miss so many tricks andd then you are classed as ignorant, (bspa/scb)

enjoy the 4 months of speedway. yep , it will be that short .

How anybody can side with Craig Cook in that saga is anyone’s guess. Speedway is struggling financially and whilst there is sponsors pumping money in keeping clubs afloat they should get every preference available to them. The fact Cook said he would of signed on for more points money and milking the club even more null and voids any slight argument he had. Clubs need extra revenue and if riders aren’t happy then go and ride somewhere else. All the other riders have got on board including more high profile names like Andersen, Lambert and Harris.

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 5

so 9 words ruined a good post !

On 3/29/2019 at 12:00 PM, GWC said:

In view of the Cook issue perhaps Poole let riders display their own sponsors and avoid any club sponsor problems.

Or maybe a carpet cleaning company isn’t quite sexy enough!

All the main club sponsors at Poole are featured on the riders' racesuits/jackets and bikes, as well as any individual rider sponsors - just as they were last season.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:09 AM, Bagpuss said:

Folk have long complained that not enough second division speedway comes on telly, maybe BT would be more inclined to show Championship meetings if all teams wore matching race wear. 

I was once told that a Somerset/Newcastle televised meeting (Div 2) on Sky was only selected because both teams had team suits; and that Sky preferred clubs to have team suits! how true that was I have no idea; then I believe this was followed up with a Somerset/Workington or Scunny/Worky match where Worky were definitely not in team suits so it may be utter rubbish... Memory may be failing too but I will stand corrected; however I did hear the same said about a Newcastle/Glasgow televised meeting that it was selected by Sky because both teams turned out in team suits!!!

On 3/28/2019 at 11:06 PM, Najjer said:

A quick google search shows that Dstar would charge £3,584 excluding VAT for a complete team. Hardly ground breaking money when you compare it against an auction to purchase them, and also the additional sponsor coverage. Not to mention nearly half the figure you have quoted. 

On 3/29/2019 at 6:49 AM, mikebv said:

That's £5k with the VAT..

At circa £20 a punter it means you need to use 250 punters worth of admission money to cover it...

Over a season would you gain/lose 250 punters by running with/not running with race suits.?

Probably not I would think..

It's good to see clubs starting to look at their businesses as something more than a 'play thing' and trying to get them on a firmer footing..

And as has already been said, regularly one, two, three (and sometimes four and more), guests per meeting renders race suits an irrelevance anyway...

On 3/29/2019 at 9:37 AM, Fingersfin said:

Spot on. Just laziness by the promotions. As has been pointed out suits can be owned and loaned by supporters/sponsors

You only pay VAT if your purchase comes from a VAT registered company The taxable turnover threshold which determines whether a person must be registered for VAT, is £85,000. You can only claim VAT back if you are a VAT registered company. The irony being there is an argument that the advertising on the suits is VAT exempt and to add to the confusion some riders are VAT registered!!! but all clubs will be VAT registered.

Newcastle first went down the team suit route (2007 I think) when Darryl Illingworth and Darren Bond came up with the idea to get local businesses involved. Our company was asked (in 2012 I think) if they would pay £350 quid to sponsor a suit and be the main sponsor of that suit (they were told they would get preferential advertising on the full right leg, stomach and small of the back) (which didn't happen but never mind) the main sponsor had the chest and right arm and the rest of the suit was left for the riders, so 7 companies were approached for the 7 suits and it worked. No cost to the club. (except for injuries and team changes) and of course guests still ended up with a bib! 

The cost of a suit now is £500 quid and no VAT as our supplier is not VAT registered, and it is an easy way to provide team suits and gives the smaller businesses the opportunity to get their name out there; it just needs someone to co-ordinate it with the club/promotion; so £3500 gets you a full set of team suits. A small business or one man band may look favourably if his only outlay to get a bit of advertisement and kudos only runs to £500 quid

On 3/29/2019 at 10:06 AM, jenga said:

As ever utter Horlicks!!! next to you Donald Trump is a Genius

image.png.7ba39ef41c0cd0e6daec0371b7a081f3.png

Here is a one we done earlier (sorry its not the right team)

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

well said mr Whitehead !

forgot about the seller having to be VAT reg . shame on me plum :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by jenga

Weather forecast looking ok so far for Wednesday (10th). Let's hope no rain-off again.

Pity we haven't got Charles Wright this year. Anyone else notice how well he's performing of late? The season's barely begun but he's scored 82+2 points already!

11 for Redcar on 5th April
11+1 for Peterborough on 1st April
13 for Redcar on 31st March
13 for Redcar on 30th March
13+1 for Redcar on 29th March
9 for Redcar on 23rd March
12 at the Ben Fun Bonanza on 17th March

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 10:34 AM, Harry The Goat said:

Weather forecast looking ok so far for Wednesday (10th). Let's hope no rain-off again.

Pity we haven't got Charles Wright this year. Anyone else notice how well he's performing of late? The season's barely begun but he's scored 82+2 points already!

11 for Redcar on 5th April
11+1 for Peterborough on 1st April
13 for Redcar on 31st March
13 for Redcar on 30th March
13+1 for Redcar on 29th March
9 for Redcar on 23rd March
12 at the Ben Fun Bonanza on 17th March

Had an opportunity to ride for us but turned it down apparently. Good luck to him but I’m not bothered he’s not with us. I’m only interested in our guys, not anyone who fancied going elsewhere. He was one of my favourites over the years and I always keep an eye out for all our previous guys, but not bothered he isn’t with us. Redcar looking like they may be thereabouts at the end of the season already .

31 minutes ago, Cliffeboy said:

Had an opportunity to ride for us but turned it down apparently. Good luck to him but I’m not bothered he’s not with us. I’m only interested in our guys, not anyone who fancied going elsewhere. He was one of my favourites over the years and I always keep an eye out for all our previous guys, but not bothered he isn’t with us. Redcar looking like they may be thereabouts at the end of the season already .

Really Cliff? He’s going to be one of the top riders in the league come the end of the year. We should of bent over backwards to make sure he signed for us.

18 hours ago, Najjer said:

Really Cliff? He’s going to be one of the top riders in the league come the end of the year. We should of bent over backwards to make sure he signed for us.

Maybe Naj, but you can only go so far. Wrighty was goin no where until we took him on , he has been in our side regularly now and has rebuilt his career and has reached a good level in a watered down league. The tear up with Gary didn’t help, and we thought it had all been sorted , but obviously not. Will Wrighty out score Bomber and Rory, cos that will be the target. Don’t get me wrong I’ve always liked Charles and I am sorry to see him leave, but I’m also not going to dwell on it. Charles has started well but so has Bomber, let see how good Chris is once he gets properly dialled into the OTA. 

Ps , the little one looks a smasher.

• Like 1