Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Shaggy

Leicester 2019

With limited options I would say the other Lions reserve will be very busy taking at least 5 rides every meeting. Could this be the undoing of Lions title chase?

Jason Edwards replaces Jack Thomas, for the 2 matches against Redcar on Friday & Saturday.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t it be helpful if Jack replaced Perks in the NL side to give the lad a bit of confidence?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GWC said:

Wouldn’t it be helpful if Jack replaced Perks in the NL side to give the lad a bit of confidence?

Stepping down is the same as withholding his services and hence a 28 day ban awaits. 

1 minute ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Stepping down is the same as withholding his services and hence a 28 day ban awaits. 

I suppose that helps Leicester then as they don’t have to name a replacement and use a guest to suite.

Doesn't help Jack though and another reason the ‘ 2 point average’ attraction to clubs was misplaced.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GWC said:

I suppose that helps Leicester then as they don’t have to name a replacement and use a guest to suite.

Doesn't help Jack though and another reason the ‘ 2 point average’ attraction to clubs was misplaced.

Jack was caught in no mans land with the 2 point CL incentive and the reduction of NL team building limit. As a rider who is relatively short on experience compared to many it was a big ask to continue his advancement without the regular sharpness & confidence a NL place would have brought. Whilst the weekend home team must have been appealing along with greatly reduced travel a patchy fixture list can struggle to keep the interest of a rider of his age. Sometimes things can come too easy and the desire starts to fade when things get tough. Jacks a good lad though and i wish him well whatever he chooses to do.

It does reflect the dilemma the CL is now.Too strong for the majority of NL riders trying to moving up and a refuge for PL riders wanting more rides.

I don’t see how it will change unless we have a strong PL and large enough to stop riders dropping down.

Unfortunately it will probably result in a much weaker CL if it survives in its current format. 

6 minutes ago, GWC said:

It does reflect the dilemma the CL is now.Too strong for the majority of NL riders trying to moving up and a refuge for PL riders wanting more rides.

I don’t see how it will change unless we have a strong PL and large enough to stop riders dropping down.

Unfortunately it will probably result in a much weaker CL if it survives in its current format. 

British League of 14-16 Clubs and a National Development League of 8-10 Clubs

No doubling up apart from NDL to reserves

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevethelion said:

Jason Edwards replaces Jack Thomas, for the 2 matches against Redcar on Friday & Saturday.

Is Edwards the new No 7 then?

Good signing for them if he is; might be a bit soon but he'll do well there.

7 minutes ago, HGould said:

The press release just says he steps in for the 2 matches against Redcar, nothing about him being the man to replace Thomas permanently, but I suppose it gives him a chance to impress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Don't think he'll do enough matches to get an average, sure he'll be a reserve on 2.00 for Eastbourne next year and really needs another year in the NL, establish himself as a heat leader there, and then do a full season in both leagues next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

British League of 14-16 Clubs and a National Development League of 8-10 Clubs

No doubling up apart from NDL to reserves

Makes total sense--but it cannot be at the level of the current Premiership. Not even sure if halfway in-between the Championship and Premiership is any good.

Think Championship level and Championship level costs and pay rates.

Premiership Speedway is generally not that much better than Championship.

17 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Don't think he'll do enough matches to get an average, sure he'll be a reserve on 2.00 for Eastbourne next year and really needs another year in the NL, establish himself as a heat leader there, and then do a full season in both leagues next year. 

I think Eastbourne may have missed the boat as he signed for Mildenhall so they own his contract. I know that as the Brummies had a look at Jason when we made reserve change but Stoneman was preferred.

4 hours ago, HGould said:

I think Eastbourne may have missed the boat as he signed for Mildenhall so they own his contract. I know that as the Brummies had a look at Jason when we made reserve change but Stoneman was preferred.

Can NL clubs hold contracts now?

10 hours ago, gazzac said:

Can NL clubs hold contracts now?

yes  as confirmed several times last season by Jayne at Buxton