British Speedway Forum
Shaggy

Leicester 2019

Have to agree went to glasgow last tue poorer crowd than what comets had ladt year without the expence !

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Now the "bates" are just taking the p**s, multi track owner back in the day good old "ian" wouldnt have done a trick like this.

But (as far as I remember) "Ian" didn't run tracks in the same division.

Quite how this is in "the best interest of the sport" I am struggling with if I'm honest.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StevePark said:

But (as far as I remember) "Ian" didn't run tracks in the same division.

Quite how this is in "the best interest of the sport" I am struggling with if I'm honest.

Earyl 70s he had barrow hull workington ellesmere port all going at once

• Like 1

So 3 days ago Somerset announced Kurtz was dropped. Within that time Sheffield snap him up, and Leicester sign Ty. All apparently done with the 3 days notice to redeclare?!

Leicester Tigers! Now operating a squad system. Dickson trying to convince that Proctor disappointed to be dropped and has a point to prove when the teams meet this weekend. Do us a favour, even the Politburo would've been embarrassed to put that out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

So 3 days ago Somerset announced Kurtz was dropped. Within that time Sheffield snap him up, and Leicester sign Ty. All apparently done with the 3 days notice to redeclare?!

You don’t need 3 days to redeclare ??? It takes 3 days for the declaration to come into effect, so Somerset sack Kurtz on Tueday  , Sheffield can offer a deal the same day if they like but he can’t ride for 3 days.

There has been the odd occasion where a rider has been dropped but has to ride another match for the club because the redeclaration doesn’t come into effect for 3 days. In fact I think Bjerre may have had to do it at Sheffield last year. 

As long as the paperwork reaches BSPA headquarters but 11:59pm on 31/7/19 the changes are done on July averages which is why Leicester can announce Proctor on 1/8/19 .

6 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

You don’t need 3 days to redeclare ??? It takes 3 days for the declaration to come into effect, so Somerset sack Kurtz on Tueday  , Sheffield can offer a deal the same day if they like but he can’t ride for 3 days.

There has been the odd occasion where a rider has been dropped but has to ride another match for the club because the redeclaration doesn’t come into effect for 3 days. In fact I think Bjerre may have had to do it at Sheffield last year. 

As long as the paperwork reaches BSPA headquarters but 11:59pm on 31/7/19 the changes are done on July averages which is why Leicester can announce Proctor on 1/8/19 .

A declaration should be at the BSPA office no later than 28th July to be effective on 31st July.

• Like 1

Having read the latest Leicester press release, it reads very much like a veiled threat... the very worst kind of promotion!

http://www.leicesterspeedway.com/news.php?extend.31472

Having said that, it doesn't matter how much you promote something if it's dog poo when you get there, people aren't stupid. A lot of people had enough after the Redcar match, it's August now and the only match that stands out for the right reasons is the Eastbourne match... is that enough?

43 minutes ago, iainb said:

Having read the latest Leicester press release, it reads very much like a veiled threat... the very worst kind of promotion!

Having said that, it doesn't matter how much you promote something if it's dog poo when you get there, people aren't stupid. A lot of people had enough after the Redcar match, it's August now and the only match that stands out for the right reasons is the Eastbourne match... is that enough?

Reads pretty much like routine stuff to me. Problem for me is more the number who became turned-off during the Hemsley era and have stayed away.

21 minutes ago, Big Al said:

1 hour ago, iainb said:

It doesn't sound like a threat, veiled or any other kind to me. 

If you run a business you want more customers. That's fair enough, what's the problem? What you seem to be saying is you don't like the way they construct/word their press releases. 

Personally, I think if someone gave you a £1,000, you'd moan about having to open the envelope.  

Couldn’t the Leicester promotion just bring over some supporters from their other team, Sheffield, to boost the crowds? 

:wink:

Edited by Yearbyred
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 8/2/2019 at 7:25 AM, NeilWatson said:

A declaration should be at the BSPA office no later than 28th July to be effective on 31st July.

Yup. Three full working days. :P

5 hours ago, Yearbyred said:

Couldn’t the Leicester promotion just bring over some supporters from their other team, Sheffield, to boost the crowds? 

Dick Barrie reckons there should be few going spare at Berwick, if he had his way:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Yearbyred said:

Tried it on Sunday, decided two passes after the 2nd bend weren't enough to keep us going

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Big Al said:

Reads pretty much like routine stuff to me. Problem for me is more the number who became turned-off during the Hemsley era and have stayed away.

Good point.

The sport gets next to no publicity outside its own bubble and so the management post whinging on the club's website about disappointing crowds will only be read by already committed die hards or Hemsley era desserters maintaining a casual and distant interest. The club (and worryingly the sport in general) need to attract new supporters but do not know how to go about it. Without a serious marketing guru for the sport (that can attract badly needed sponsorship), nothing will change. The Lions may well be in for their best season that anyone can remember, but this means nothing to potential supporters who aren't even aware of the sport! (Check out the BBC sport website, its embarrassing to see what sports are covered and speedway isn't). It's not down to admission prices either. If the Lions were to announce that prices were being reduced to £5 for the next home meeting, How many additional spectators could they realistically expect to see? More importantly, how many of those would return prepared to pay normal prices?

When you do get people through the turnstile, you have to deliver the product. As has been pointed out, the Redcar match will have put many first timers off. The spectators to target for speedway meetings will most likely attend other sporting events too. If you are looking at people who watch live football or cricket for example, speedway falls short of the match day experience by comparison in terms of facilities and professionalism. Speedway's problem, no one else's.