British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wealdstone

Is Nobody bothered ?

11 hours ago, 1 valve said:

On the face of it no. But has  there been any reason given by Him or Ipswich as to why (apparently) having been happy to continue in the 2nd tier the move up needed to involve selling the club?  Anything to do with Thursday race nights & doubling up etc? 

From the outside looking in I think Louis was happy to continue in the championship had that stayed at the same level as the last couple of seasons.

Once it became clear that I was going to weaken he was concerned that the Ipswich public would not support that. However didn't want to take the financial risk of top flight racing.

Chapman needed Ipswich to move up to save the premiership and so the value of the club increased & Louis cashed in. 

Can't say I blame Louis for selling as in a few years the way speedway is going it would have been worth bugger all. 

The cleaver part is that Louis has a clause to buy the club back in the future if he wishes so if the sport has an amazing recovery he can take back control. 

That for Louis is a win win situation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spl77 said:

From the outside looking in I think Louis was happy to continue in the championship had that stayed at the same level as the last couple of seasons.

Once it became clear that I was going to weaken he was concerned that the Ipswich public would not support that. However didn't want to take the financial risk of top flight racing.

Chapman needed Ipswich to move up to save the premiership and so the value of the club increased & Louis cashed in. 

Can't say I blame Louis for selling as in a few years the way speedway is going it would have been worth bugger all. 

The cleaver part is that Louis has a clause to buy the club back in the future if he wishes so if the sport has an amazing recovery he can take back control. 

That for Louis is a win win situation. 

Yes in principle, but if Ipswich ever turn over excellent profits Chapman will never hand it back, why should he. Louis will only get ownership again if Chapman's 5 year plan fails. 

On 11/17/2018 at 9:11 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

I am fairly sure at least some of the Premiership ones didn't either. 

It’s not about what people want it’s about what’s best. Any successful person/business/organisation follows this rule. 

The implication is that they wanted what they’ve got, a seven team league where you finish mid table and still have a chance at being “champions” and where nearly half the teams are owned by one man. 

On 11/19/2018 at 1:19 AM, Daniel Smith said:

Yes in principle, but if Ipswich ever turn over excellent profits Chapman will never hand it back, why should he. Louis will only get ownership again if Chapman's 5 year plan fails. 

If Buster runs his group of clubs (nor indeed takes over all the PL clubs ) in the same way as he has King's Lynn - where average crowds have fallen away year on year the end will be very predictable. Whoever owns several or all of them and fails to pull in and develop a new crowd base, it will still all collapse. 

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, ouch said:

It’s not about what people want it’s about what’s best. Any successful person/business/organisation follows this rule. 

The implication is that they wanted what they’ve got, a seven team league where you finish mid table and still have a chance at being “champions” and where nearly half the teams are owned by one man. 

I think its a question of both, because what people want is usually what's best for them. Clearly, the clubs think a 3 league structure is best. 

I very much take your point about the play off system. Phil the Ace made an excellent suggestion that the team that finishes top go straight into the final with the next two having a semi final, thus narrowing it to three teams instead of four.

I don't have a problem with Buster Chapman having controlling interest in 3 clubs, especially as Ged Rathbone & Chris Louis will still be involved. Multi track bosses are hardly unheard of - Mike Parker and Reg Fearman springing to mind. 

Its also a question of what the alternative to retaining the Premiership was. You have mentioned amalgamation, but I think the top teams feared further loss of attendances and the weaker Championship ones trying to cope financially with the likes of Poole, Belle Vue & Wolverhampton. Furthermore, there was the question of the number of fixtures - based upon present number of clubs, there would have been 18 home and away to fit in - and the number of riders given the ridiculous number doubling up. 

Personally speaking, I think they have got it right. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

If Buster runs his group of clubs (nor indeed takes over all the PL clubs ) in the same way as he has King's Lynn - where average crowds have fallen away year on year the end will be very predictable. Whoever owns several or all of them and fails to pull in and develop a new crowd base, it will still all collapse. 

Don’t be fooled by the past PR the acquisition of these clubs will prop up the league and all of those clubs in the Premiership that are haemorrhaging, it will retain tv coverage and create an opportunity for new Promotional blood to come in to that league in due course. He isn’t gonna make out of this but it will keep his own club in business too.

I couldn’t agree more with some of his critics but all the harping and carping will not help one iota. Keith has taken decisive action to protect the interests of the sport as a whole. Nicely and politely give him a break ffs!

Edited by Byker Biker
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Don’t be fooled by the past PR the acquisition of these clubs will prop up the league and all of those clubs in the Championship that are haemorrhaging, it will retain tv coverage and create an opportunity for new Promotional blood to come in to that league in due course. He isn’t gonna make out of this but it will keep his own club in business too.

I couldn’t agree more with some of his critics but all the harping and carping will not help one iota. Keith has taken decisive action to protect the interests of the sport as a whole. Nicely and politely give him a break ffs!

With many, including waytogo, that's just about impossible. Only interested in doom and gloom, and trying to tell others how to run speedway. FFS.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

With many, including waytogo, that's just about impossible. Only interested in doom and gloom, and trying to tell others how to run speedway. FFS.

I think that's what's annoyed me a bit.

There's a lot to be critical of where speedway is concerned but the colours of those who simply want to put the boot in have been shown all too clearly here.  

Buster Chapman has saved a team, a league and a TV contract and backed his actions and judgement with his own money. 

Surely that is a matter for credit rather than criticism and negative comment ? 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

He has, astutely in my opinion, kept a top league in business thus avoiding an amalgamation that would have wiped out many clubs in both the Championship and NL. An amalgamation would have done irreversible damage to the middle and lower divisions

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I very much take your point about the play off system. Phil the Ace made an excellent suggestion that the team that finishes top go straight into the final with the next two having a semi final, thus narrowing it to three teams instead of four.

I don't have a problem with Buster Chapman having controlling interest in 3 clubs, especially as Ged Rathbone & Chris Louis will still be involved. Multi track bosses are hardly unheard of - Mike Parker and Reg Fearman springing to mind. 

Agree with Phil’s suggestion but finishing top would mean losing out on a potential semi final pay day, in addition to the final rewards. Which could lead to a preference for finishing second or third. 

Regarding Buster, from what I have read he is not a guy that throws money at a lost cause. Peterborough only just survived CL with much needed generosity. 

Buster - Peterborough - Ipswich - PL - Ged’s complete about turn. Don’t understand how or why, BT?  Baldrick and co must have a ‘cunning plan’. Hope it works out well for ALL. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Agree with Phil’s suggestion but finishing top would mean losing out on a potential semi final pay day, in addition to the final rewards. Which could lead to a preference for finishing second or third. 

Regarding Buster, from what I have read he is not a guy that throws money at a lost cause. Peterborough only just survived CL with much needed generosity. 

Buster - Peterborough - Ipswich - PL - Ged’s complete about turn. Don’t understand how or why, BT?  Baldrick and co must have a ‘cunning plan’. Hope it works out well for ALL. 

With the existing promotions deciding to stay on and run the franchises, could it be that Buster hasn't exactly bought them, but contributed to keep them in the PL. 

• Like 1

I'm no fan of Buster Chapman. I think his chairmanship of the BSPA has done nothing to stop the ever decreasing crowd levels, failed to improve the credibility of the sport and the integrity of the application of the rules and even failed to implement his initial promises of openness, transparency and a new rule book.

I favour a 2 league structure as the only way to enable the sport to live within its means and to build a solid base from which it can then grow. 

However, given a 3 league structure, I agree that he deserves a lot of credit for his actions in ensuring that there is a viable top league. He has put his money where his mouth is and that shows faith and a commitment to make it work. 

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

I’ve seen you say this about attendances before. Last season was definately better than the season before. As you would expect after the disaster that was 2017 but even in the years leading up to that it’s no worse and we are 1 of the tracks where you seem to see quite a lot of youngsters. I’m not saying everything is rosy. But I am saying that you are wrong on the “crowds falling away year on year” and it really pisses me of because people would take that dribble as gospel. And that’s why I don’t like the consistent doom postrs. because everybody gravitates to negativity and in the crowds falling year on year part that’s fake news. 

Lynn is much much better since Robin Brundle has came on board. The crowds are more included and there is a lot more on for the kids.

There is still too much tractor driving and there is still other areas where it could be improved. Presenting, It’s a shame gavin Carney had to quit the presenting because although very green he had a youthful touch. The current guy does his best but it’s a very flat thing. Gavin had an energy. Walking about the fans asking questions! The PA system that often cuts in and out is a constant problem and I think some areas have issues with the tannoys. 

All this is constructive criticisms about a team he owns. What you put about falling crowds year on year was an assumption. And people who don’t go to lynn will think you are right when you are wrong

15 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

I’ve seen you say this about attendances before. Last season was definately better than the season before. As you would expect after the disaster that was 2017 but even in the years leading up to that it’s no worse and we are 1 of the tracks where you seem to see quite a lot of youngsters. I’m not saying everything is rosy. But I am saying that you are wrong on the “crowds falling away year on year” and it really pisses me of because people would take that dribble as gospel. And that’s why I don’t like the consistent doom postrs. because everybody gravitates to negativity and in the crowds falling year on year part that’s fake news. 

Lynn is much much better since Robin Brundle has came on board. The crowds are more included and there is a lot more on for the kids.

There is still too much tractor driving and there is still other areas where it could be improved. Presenting, It’s a shame gavin Carney had to quit the presenting because although very green he had a youthful touch. The current guy does his best but it’s a very flat thing. Gavin had an energy. Walking about the fans asking questions! The PA system that often cuts in and out is a constant problem and I think some areas have issues with the tannoys. 

All this is constructive criticisms about a team he owns. What you put about falling crowds year on year was an assumption. And people who don’t go to lynn will think you are right when you are wrong

People on here talk about bad promoters, but as shown by some comments on here, they are more than matched by bad fans who try and contaminate the sport. 

• Like 2

Official attendances at Speedway Meetings in the UK are classified as Top Secret under the official secrets act. Nobody knows. Not even HMRC.

So how anybody can talk about attendances being up down or anywhere is purely guesswork. My take is that "promoters" only reveal attendances it supports ther argemnet, and even then I frankly do not believe them.

As for Rye House... I thought all clubs had to pay a bond to the league upon entering the league  - surely this should be used to settle outstanding debts ??