British Speedway Forum

On 12/19/2018 at 6:20 PM, Fromafar said:

Nothing would be gained,just pointing out one of the the reasons why people wont be flocking back to the sport IMO.Wages to riders are the reason the sport is in the state that it is in.Set pay rates with bonuses to riders if crowd levels increase instead of giving them money that can’t be afforded.

Worth every pound in my book. we go to watch two teams race that's my buzz sorted.

Already lost my other home team of Workington along with all the other Comets fans and I would be happy to pay a bit more if they had to put the price up if it meant we still have speedway.

Still far more value for money than watching them down the road kick a ball about for 90 minutes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Speedway4ever said:

Worth every pound in my book. we go to watch two teams race that's my buzz sorted.

Already lost my other home team of Workington along with all the other Comets fans and I would be happy to pay a bit more if they had to put the price up if it meant we still have speedway.

Still far more value for money than watching them down the road kick a ball about for 90 minutes.

Bottom line is though there is not enough income generated to pay them what you think they are worth.:neutral: Comets fans have not turned up in big enough numbers to make speedway at Workington viable,you just can’t keep upping admission money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Bottom line is though there is not enough income generated to pay them what you think they are worth.:neutral: Comets fans have not turned up in big enough numbers to make speedway at Workington viable,you just can’t keep upping admission money.

its a bit like woolies and other big stores . keep putting the prices up and you end up with jack .why cant the riders see whats happening to this sport . pretty  soon we will all be doing the rock , paper,  scissors thing to pass the time away .. . 

One problem is that they nearly all, after a year or two, believe that they are "international star motorcyclists" even if they have only ever practised abroad. They are brave jockeys of high powered bikes who need only to battle for the first half lap of a race, before waiting to see if they can start better next time. That skill must be worth £100k  a season they believe, but sadly there are so few paying punters interested in their gating ability that if they get 25% of that in future they will be lucky. Part-time semi-pro status for those who race on in future.

Bog standard 250 cc bikes would produce better racing despite Rob Godfrey's declaration that racing is better than it has ever been. Were that so, the terraces would be heaving instead of being almost areas of empty silence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

One problem is that they nearly all, after a year or two, believe that they are "international star motorcyclists" even if they have only ever practised abroad. They are brave jockeys of high powered bikes who need only to battle for the first half lap of a race, before waiting to see if they can start better next time. That skill must be worth £100k  a season they believe, but sadly there are so few paying punters interested in their gating ability that if they get 25% of that in future they will be lucky. Part-time semi-pro status for those who race on in future.

Bog standard 250 cc bikes would produce better racing despite Rob Godfrey's declaration that racing is better than it has ever been. Were that so, the terraces would be heaving instead of being almost areas of empty silence. 

I think a very big problem is tracks, most are inaccessible unless you have transport and when you get there the facilities are embarrassing. What produced great racing in the days of the upright engine, isn't now up to the job, Belle Vue is brilliant (but too pricey) but some (once great) raceways are now too narrow and the bends aren't flowing enough.

• Like 1

Pretty good line up for Ben Barker testimonial 

Line up for testimonial meeting is:
Ben Barker
Charles Wright
Michael Palm Toft
Jordan Stewart
Tom Bacon
Nathan Greaves
Sam Masters
Ulrich Ostergaard
Bradley Wilson Dean
Kyle Bickley
Lewis Kerr
Steve Worrall
David Wallinger 
Thomas Jorgensen
Simon Lambert
1 to be confirmed 

Read more:  http://bears-talk.proboards.com/thread/3419/barkers-testimonial-plans#ixzz5g51Lsw1k

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Norfolk Bear said:

Pretty good line up for Ben Barker testimonial 

Line up for testimonial meeting is:
Ben Barker
Charles Wright
Michael Palm Toft
Jordan Stewart
Tom Bacon
Nathan Greaves
Sam Masters
Ulrich Ostergaard
Bradley Wilson Dean
Kyle Bickley
Lewis Kerr
Steve Worrall
David Wallinger 
Thomas Jorgensen
Simon Lambert
1 to be confirmed 

Read more:  http://bears-talk.proboards.com/thread/3419/barkers-testimonial-plans#ixzz5g51Lsw1k

Looks pretty poor to me.

2 hours ago, foamfence said:

Looks pretty poor to me.

can you point out the poor riders please ?

52 minutes ago, jenga said:

can you point out the poor riders please ?

Wallinger, Bickley (good lad but out of his depth),  Ostergaard (clapped out), Lambert, and a few others who are being given an outing because they're in the team but who won't be challenging the bigger names. I suppose it's a good thing it's a 4TT. Anyway NB stated it was a pretty good line up (in his opinion) and I didn't agree (my opinion), which is what happens on forums. I suppose the one name still to come, could make it look more attractive though.

its  a pity riders old and new just cant jump on a bike and be world beaters .  looks like everyones opinion of a decent lineup varies between us humans ..  i would pay money to watch this line up . its for a good cause and i hope it gets a good following . 

7 minutes ago, jenga said:

its  a pity riders old and new just cant jump on a bike and be world beaters .  looks like everyones opinion of a decent lineup varies between us humans ..  i would pay money to watch this line up . its for a good cause and i hope it gets a good following . 

That's fair enough, I was a little disappointed when I saw it, I know some of Ben's close friends among riders but they don't seem to be there.

Line ups for Ben Barker 4 Teams

4 Team Event
Redcar
Barker
Wright
Bacon
Stewart

M'bro
Masters
Palm Toft
Greaves
Wallinger

Workington
Worrall
Wilson Dean
Lambert
Bickley

Newcastle
Jorgenson
Kerr
Ostergaard
an other

Read more:  http://bears-talk.proboards.com/thread/3419/barkers-testimonial-plans#ixzz5gBv3b4jn

i still think that is a good line up.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:41 PM, foamfence said:

Wallinger, Bickley (good lad but out of his depth),  Ostergaard (clapped out), Lambert, and a few others who are being given an outing because they're in the team but who won't be challenging the bigger names. I suppose it's a good thing it's a 4TT. Anyway NB stated it was a pretty good line up (in his opinion) and I didn't agree (my opinion), which is what happens on forums. I suppose the one name still to come, could make it look more attractive though.

Wallinger has invested heavily on new gear this season & Kyle Bickley is progressing in the correct way & as it's a friendly 4 TT I'm sure the track time ( extra ) will do them the world of good,,, good on Ben for the invitation