British Speedway Forum

Good Luck to Kasper .

Whatever the cost you can't turn down the chance to sign a rider like Eric Riss. Until last night Ulrich was riding at a 4.5 level (much as he had at Birmingham) but really feel for him as an extended stay at the MPA would have benefited both him and the club.  Kasper is a decent replacement for the injured Tom Bacon. If the official line that Jack asked to be replaced then changed his mind is correct then I'm sorry to see him go as he has done more than was asked of him at home. As for his replacement I think the signing of Riss meant basically putting the names of all unattached 2 pointers in a  hat and drawing a name out. Wish Tom well. 

• Like 2

Big coup to land Riss, if Smith asked to leave then he should was rightly let go, not cutting it like he expected to at either level and can see a "break from the sport" on the horizon. Disappointing that Wooley was the chosen option, im guessing/hoping that several others turned it down as there must have been others who would have benefited from the chance better than a NL plodder who is at the tail end of his career.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, foamfence said:

As a mate and sponsor of Ulrich, naturally gutted for him but nothing surprises me as teams happy to chop and change their team at the drop of a hat and Redcar promotion obviously happy to join the growing trend of moving riders on after only a few meetings.

What I do think is disappointing in this case is that on Saturday night at Leicester the promotion had every opportunity to be straight with him as obviously they’d already made their minds up to drop him, but instead praised him and said they could see signs of the Ulrich they knew and loved    

So the guy books all his flights for July, then finds out 2 days later he is axed moments after being given the rider of the night award after delivering the goods with 11 points against arguably the leagues strongest team   

I think he deserves a little better treatment as someone who has been very loyal to British clubs over the past decade, not one to cry off at the drop of a hat, doesn’t whinge about track conditions and always happy to chat with the fans! 

• Like 6

Riss is a great signing. Gives us a powerful top three. 

Do have to feel for Ulrich, he was great last night. He has struggled previously though. In the past we have stuck with under performing riders for far too long hoping they will turn it around - this time possibly pulled the trigger a bit too quickly but either way you can't win. 

Wooley signing will put Greaves under a bit of pressure to score - but we should hopefully be strong enough to cover his rides and I wish him all the best. 

Andersen flew round our place last season, less so this year but should be a decent replacement for Bacon. 

Surprised we got Riss , I thought that Edibirgh would be making space

1 hour ago, The H Man said:

As a mate and sponsor of Ulrich, naturally gutted for him but nothing surprises me as teams happy to chop and change their team at the drop of a hat and Redcar promotion obviously happy to join the growing trend of moving riders on after only a few meetings.

What I do think is disappointing in this case is that on Saturday night at Leicester the promotion had every opportunity to be straight with him as obviously they’d already made their minds up to drop him, but instead praised him and said they could see signs of the Ulrich they knew and loved    

So the guy books all his flights for July, then finds out 2 days later he is axed moments after being given the rider of the night award after delivering the goods with 11 points against arguably the leagues strongest team   

I think he deserves a little better treatment as someone who has been very loyal to British clubs over the past decade, not one to cry off at the drop of a hat, doesn’t whinge about track conditions and always happy to chat with the fans! 

Good points made there - imagine how I feel, being the person who chose him as our rider of the night and presented him with a bottle of bubbly! 

Keep me away from the voting panel in future!

1 hour ago, Norfolk Bear said:

Surprised we got Riss , I thought that Edibirgh would be making space

Had a habit of going missing in the later part of meetings and i think they got quite frustrated with him. However that was last year ............

1 hour ago, The H Man said:

I've been saying for a while now Wholesale team changes should not be allowed during the season. Lots if reasons why not the most important the extra cost involved.........

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MD said:

Had a habit of going missing in the later part of meetings and i think they got quite frustrated with him. However that was last year ............

???

I have every score of his from last year in front of me at the moment and don't see how you can justify this statement. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MD said:

On a “going day” he can look like a world champ ,but can be woeful on an “off day”.Typical of a lot of modern days riders,there’s  always another meeting somewhere in the Continent to look forward too.Might not always be on his best engines or tired out with travel. Imo.

Class act though.

Riss a very good signing for the Bears but feel for Ully who appeared to be finding his form. Tom Woolley rode on numerous occasions for Worky Comets in the second half of 2017 season, it's fair to say he was nowhere near Championship level at that time. Seems like the Bears never gave Jack Smith any time to change his mind so it was probably in the managements thoughts to replace him.