British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, SteelShoe said:

Riss a very good signing for the Bears but feel for Ully who appeared to be finding his form. Tom Woolley rode on numerous occasions for Worky Comets in the second half of 2017 season, it's fair to say he was nowhere near Championship level at that time. Seems like the Bears never gave Jack Smith any time to change his mind so it was probably in the managements thoughts to replace him. 

So a rider asks to be replaced but then you decide to wait s day a week a month in case they change their mind!!

Possibly the most ridiculous post I have read this season

• Like 2

they've replaced a reserve who scores little with a reserve guaranteed to score nothing, other signings are risky too

8 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

they've replaced a reserve who scores little with a reserve guaranteed to score nothing, other signings are risky too

Looking on the bright side..... They've signed a new number one and found an adequate replacement for a rider with a serious injury.

• Like 4

Think the points played a part in it needed to drop smith to fit the other 2 plus a 2 pointer JS was just over 3 and Tom bacon might not be back this season

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Speedway28 said:

What's the deal with Jack Smith? A move lined up or just wanting to quit Championship racing?

It doesn’t look like Smith is going to make a big impression in the Sport IMO.Had more chance than  a lot of juniors but not showing much..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Speedway28 said:

What's the deal with Jack Smith? A move lined up or just wanting to quit Championship racing?

Something tells me Jack did not step down voluntarily

• Thanks 1

To be fair, the release from Redcar says what happened. Jack said he wanted to leave (rumour has it after being replaced in one of his rides by Nathan Greaves in the Leicester home meeting). He then changed his mind, but deal had ready been done with Andersen. 

A tad hasty by Redcar perhaps, but if a rider tells you he wants to be released how long do you give him to change his mind. 

• Like 1

Seems a bizarre move with the cup tie on Friday in mind . Ok Riss is probably an improvement on Ostergaard and it would seem Bacon might not be fit again this season . But Woolley for Smith ???? Dont see how that is going to improve things , and Anderson looked woeful at Glasgow when Sheffield were up in the last round . 

I was concerned about using r/r for Bacon in the second leg , as arguably it made Redcar stronger , but with Anderson and Woolley now in their side , I'm a bit more confident of Glasgow progressing 

I think it is still r/r for Bacon on Friday. Andersen does not come in until Sunday. 

I assume we needed a 2 point rider when we got Riss as a new Nr1 to stay below the points limit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speed ace said:

2 hours ago, speed ace said:

2 hours ago, Speedway28 said:

Sorry hadn't realized he had asked to step down

20 hours ago, northyorksbear said:

So a rider asks to be replaced but then you decide to wait s day a week a month in case they change their mind!!

Possibly the most ridiculous post I have read this season

Really ?

i can quite easily see the following scenario:  say Jack Smith was banging in big scores and for some reason being a young lad he impetuously asks to be replaced immediately after a meeting. If the management hadn't already planned to bring in Erik Riss and Kasper Andersen do you not think they would have talked to him, given him a couple of days to think it over then if he still felt the same then fair enough ?.

The fact that the averages wouldn't fit the 40 point increase on the 30th June precluded that happening. In effect Jack probably saved them the job of dispensing with him.

Edited by SteelShoe

22 minutes ago, SteelShoe said:

Really ?

i can quite easily see the following scenario:  say Jack Smith was banging in big scores and for some reason being a young lad he impetuously asks to be replaced immediately after a meeting. If the management hadn't already planned to bring in Erik Riss and Kasper Andersen do you not think they would have talked to him, given him a couple of days to think it over then if he still felt the same then fair enough ?.

The fact that the averages wouldn't fit the 40 point increase on the 30th June precluded that happening. In effect Jack probably saved them the job of dispensing with him.

The fact is he hasn't progressed in the way he was expected to, many other young riders have caught up and overtaken him (literally), that doesn't mean he can't or won't improve but currently he's even disappointing in the NL.

• Like 1

Not really about Jack's prowess as a speedway rider but after saying this the guy is only 20, he went through what must have been a hugely confidence sapping season at Swindon last year. He has probably outscored Nathan Greaves on most occasions at home so far this term but Nathan has been much more effective away. There is time for him to make his mark yet.

• Like 2