British Speedway Forum
Trees

National Supporters Club Group

Despite all the pages and pages of strong opinions on here there’s been little to no take up on this. 

18 minutes ago, ouch said:

Despite all the pages and pages of strong opinions on here there’s been little to no take up on this. 

Bit of a poisoned chalice really. Certainly needs some organised figures to take part and effectively communicate their (their teams fans opinions) whilst remaining objective. There is clearly a danger that each individual could go with an agenda that only benefits their own team and/or there could be disregard for teams not within the same league.

However if the group of individuals can get together and communicate the views of British speedway from the terraces including the huge mistrust in those running the sport things could be moved forward.

Whoever takes up the places from each club i commend them for doing their bit which is more than most of us can say we are doing.

41 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Bit of a poisoned chalice really. Certainly needs some organised figures to take part and effectively communicate their (their teams fans opinions) whilst remaining objective. There is clearly a danger that each individual could go with an agenda that only benefits their own team and/or there could be disregard for teams not within the same league.

However if the group of individuals can get together and communicate the views of British speedway from the terraces including the huge mistrust in those running the sport things could be moved forward.

Whoever takes up the places from each club i commend them for doing their bit which is more than most of us can say we are doing.

problem for me is that the representative is likely to put their view above the view of the rest of the supporters  I know one who most definitely would and wouldn't like to be challenged as to why he voiced personal opinion instead of  the remit of the supporters he represents , I have always been a little suspicious of anyone who puts themselves forward  as a spokesman  since it takes some ego to want to be singled out ,

I plan to listen to views and suggestions at Kent's sponsor and meet the rider evening Sunday.

Not sure the format Of the meeting butcivam preparing an introduction to myself and history in the sport.

I then plan to table my own suggestions briefly. Mainly being around transparency and openness. And the need for a supremo independent of any club to take overall control of decision making.

Then onto and in far more detail the main 3 or 4 issues the Kent fans bring to me.

For example, my personal opinion is the play offs are a necessary evil that makes clubs decent gates, and gives the fans the sense of occasion. But the feedback I am getting is that Kent fans would like them scrapped, so that is the stance I will take in the meeting.

I believe the expenses not being covered is probably less about saving money, but more so to weed out the potential trouble makers.

I earn little over Nat Min Wage, and assuming they put the meeting somewhere central like Brum that's gonna cost me a hundred quid plus in train fares. That's probably half my monthly desposible income so Kent fans can rest assured I am taking the whole thing very seriously.

Sure it may well fall on death ears, or get ruined by gob rubbishes,  BUT also it may just work and our voices do get heard.

Whilst I am representing my fellow fans at kent, I fully welcome views from supporters of any club current or former.

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

I plan to listen to views and suggestions at Kent's sponsor and meet the rider evening Sunday.

Not sure the format Of the meeting butcivam preparing an introduction to myself and history in the sport.

I then plan to table my own suggestions briefly. Mainly being around transparency and openness. And the need for a supremo independent of any club to take overall control of decision making.

Then onto and in far more detail the main 3 or 4 issues the Kent fans bring to me.

For example, my personal opinion is the play offs are a necessary evil that makes clubs decent gates, and gives the fans the sense of occasion. But the feedback I am getting is that Kent fans would like them scrapped, so that is the stance I will take in the meeting.

I believe the expenses not being covered is probably less about saving money, but more so to weed out the potential trouble makers.

I earn little over Nat Min Wage, and assuming they put the meeting somewhere central like Brum that's gonna cost me a hundred quid plus in train fares. That's probably half my monthly desposible income so Kent fans can rest assured I am taking the whole thing very seriously.

Sure it may well fall on death ears, or get ruined by gob rubbishes,  BUT also it may just work and our voices do get heard.

Whilst I am representing my fellow fans at kent, I fully welcome views from supporters of any club current or former.

if  a few more of the chosen reps  have the same attitude this could well be a very useful . however  this is speedway and theres always going to be someone who wants to go against the grain . good luck with it though lets hope the BSPA finally listen to the bums on seats that keep speedway going .

• Like 3

I have written about this subject before, many moons ago.

Here in the States, back in 1995 Independent Supporters Groups were formed for all brand new Major League Soccer clubs that would start playing in 1996. A grass roots operation in the early days of the internet.

The Boards of Directors of each supporters groups met as a group annually, the day before the MLS Cup Final (which is held in a different city each year).  In 1998 in Los Angeles,  we met with the MLS President and CEO and other Officials. At that meeting we made our main discussion topic the abolition of Shootouts deciding MLS games. Shootouts were abolished at the  1999 League Board Meeting for the 2000 season.   We worked with the League to secure safe standing sections at all MLS clubs.  And there have been plenty of other initiatives approved over the years.

We also disagreed with the League playoff system (sound familiar?)  As a group we got together and raised money to design and cast a trophy to be called the Supporters Shield which would be awarded to the team finishing the season with the highest points total. 

20 years later, the Supporters Shield is now an official trophy, with the winners guaranteed entry into the CONCACAF Champions League.

So what does this have to Speedway ?

It goes to show what is possible when the fans organize and use their power  of numbers and purchasing power  to influence those that control the game.  Each teams group of fans  should organize a meeting locally, to elect a representative to speak on their behalf along with other supporters groups in discussions with the BSPA.  Each group can decide what they want their representative to discuss, rather than individuals with axes to grind speaking on behalf of themselves....

Edited by MassMarauder
spell

The problem here is that there are no viable numbers with purchasing power. There may be as little as 30,000 regular speedway supporters in the UK and there certainly is no more than 50,000. Not enough to fill Old Trafford for a football match.

On 11/17/2018 at 2:51 PM, Trees said:

...this idea coming from the BSPA Conference is quite an interesting one.  Surely it will be a chance for the fans to bring all their ideas and gripes to the BSPA officially?...

OK, so the BSPA would like a "United Nations" of Speedway Supporters Clubs, with an "ambassador" from each team's supporters club to sit around a table with all the other ambassadors, to come up with a united voice of the speedway fanbase? Is that about right so far?

Has anyone decided on where the meetings are to take place? Will the BSPA / SCB donate their offices in Rugby to convene these meetings?

As this organisation is at the desire of the BSPA, will they be funding the travelling (& other) expenses for those fans from the likes of Plymouth, Kent, Glasgow & Edinburgh, who will have substantial journeys to make to the meetings?

Will the BSPA be drafting a constitution for their desired Supporters Club of Clubs, or will that be for the supporters themselves to sort out?

And how often and in what way do the BSPA intend to "listen" to, or enact any of the things that the supporters suggest?

Meet three times a year at various locations. First should have been NSS but cancelled due to lack of interest from fans. 

No expenses to be paid. 

Consistution sorted by individual clubs 

No sure how well it will be received by the BSPA. 

1 hour ago, ouch said:

Meet three times a year at various locations. First should have been NSS but cancelled due to lack of interest from fans. 

No expenses to be paid. 

Consistution sorted by individual clubs 

No sure how well it will be received by the BSPA. 

Sounds like speedway supporters are showing the BSPA how to run a shambles. 

"Consistution sorted by individual clubs" - how is that supposed to work?

Yep to the first bit, which is a shame given the perceived passion provided in posts  

A club constitution is a simple document that outlines its functions and the rules under which it will operate.

Off the peg stuff and generally just a dotting of the i’s and crossing of the t’s exercise. 

Not sure why this is being done to be honest...

There must be (at least) around a 50% drop in attendances over the past 10 years, and much more than that in the last twenty..

Therefore, talking to people who still go (the huge minority in the country) won't for me give any solutions to any issues..

I personally don't attend (British domestic Speedway) anymore due to the constant Mickey Mouse contrived nonsense put out in front of me, however those who still go obviously are happy to collude with Promoters that it's a bona fide professional sporting competition, and fair play to them for their stance..

Therefore, by their very attendance, they must be reasonably content with what is being offered. And by their very belonging to a Supporters Club in the first place, it also suggests this..

What the BSPA need to do is their spend time engaging with the 99.95%of the population who don't attend a Speedway meeting each week rather than the 0.05% who do...

A failing business would be far better off speaking with those who used to use you, or have never heard of you, rather than those who have remained loyal, even more so when that business has haemorrhaged so many customers in the past couple of decades in particular..

Several other Sports run similar meetings to see if it can any add value to, and enhance, an already strong operating and business model...

Speedway sadly doesn't possess such a thing, so not sure that even the best ideas will do much more than cover the gaping wounds with a sticking plaster in all honesty..

• Like 2

All quiet, and havent seen anything about this from my local Team..

On 1/31/2019 at 3:40 AM, mikebv said:

Not sure why this is being done to be honest...

There must be (at least) around a 50% drop in attendances over the past 10 years, and much more than that in the last twenty..

Therefore, talking to people who still go (the huge minority in the country) won't for me give any solutions to any issues..

I personally don't attend (British domestic Speedway) anymore due to the constant Mickey Mouse contrived nonsense put out in front of me, however those who still go obviously are happy to collude with Promoters that it's a bona fide professional sporting competition, and fair play to them for their stance..

Therefore, by their very attendance, they must be reasonably content with what is being offered. And by their very belonging to a Supporters Club in the first place, it also suggests this..

What the BSPA need to do is their spend time engaging with the 99.95%of the population who don't attend a Speedway meeting each week rather than the 0.05% who do...

A failing business would be far better off speaking with those who used to use you, or have never heard of you, rather than those who have remained loyal, even more so when that business has haemorrhaged so many customers in the past couple of decades in particular..

Several other Sports run similar meetings to see if it can any add value to, and enhance, an already strong operating and business model...

Speedway sadly doesn't possess such a thing, so not sure that even the best ideas will do much more than cover the gaping wounds with a sticking plaster in all honesty..

which is why, and i've said this before so apologies, you offer free entry for a match or 2 in return for registering via email. You then have a database of potential and existing customers, even though it was free they showed an interest,  and then you can market to them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ch958 said:

which is why, and i've said this before so apologies, you offer free entry for a match or 2 in return for registering via email. You then have a database of potential and existing customers, even though it was free they showed an interest,  and then you can market to them. 

Loads could be done...

Sadly it seems it never is...

Almost like they have given up and have decided that attracting new fans, or lapsed fans back, is a bridge too far, and that cutting costs and hoping to maintain the 'die hards' is the way forward..

For a Sport that has a 100% monopoly not just in the town/city they are in, but at least for circa 30 miles around it too, it is amazing more isn't done to get the message out locally..

60 million people live in Britain.  About 25000 at best attend Speedway each week..

What an opportunity to improve that equation,  given that you are the 'only show' in so many places countrywide..

• Like 1