British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Two teams coming up from the NL

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Presumably that is this one :

The following statement has been authorised by Eastbourne Speedway Club chairman, Martin Dugard.

“Forman IT Eagles are aware of the Speedway Control Bureau indication that two National League Development clubs will be moving to the Championship League in 2019.

“We will be issuing a full, detailed statement about our intentions for 2019 by the end of next week."

Does it say they are moving up  ?:unsure:

Why would it even be there if they aren't? What next, Jayne Moss at Buxton announcing that she won't be signing Jason Doyle, or Eric Boothroyd announcing that he isn't making a comeback? Anyway someone claims Alex Harkess has confirmed it.

8 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Anyway someone claims Alex Harkess has confirmed it.

That was a mistake. Although he was quoted in the newspaper article, the identity of the two teams was the opinion of a journalist who often makes stuff up. 

4 minutes ago, Alan_Jones said:

That was a mistake. Although he was quoted in the newspaper article, the identity of the two teams was the opinion of a journalist who often makes stuff up. 

In that case I apologise for using it as an example.

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Presumably that is this one :

The following statement has been authorised by Eastbourne Speedway Club chairman, Martin Dugard.

“Forman IT Eagles are aware of the Speedway Control Bureau indication that two National League Development clubs will be moving to the Championship League in 2019.

“We will be issuing a full, detailed statement about our intentions for 2019 by the end of next week."

Does it say they are moving up  ?:unsure:

It doesn't say Eastbourne are moving up. It says Eastbourne will be announcing their intentions for 2019. Looks like no decision have been made.

Edited by Richard Weston

2 hours ago, foamfence said:

Why would it even be there if they aren't? What next, Jayne Moss at Buxton announcing that she won't be signing Jason Doyle, or Eric Boothroyd announcing that he isn't making a comeback? Anyway someone claims Alex Harkess has confirmed it.

I think the thing is they are strongly rumoured to be going up. There's no rumours about Doyle & Buxton to my knowledge.

Its anything but unheard of in such circumstances to make a statement denying rumours, or clarifying why they aren't seeking to make changes.

Truth is, I have heard it is Eastbourne but that doesn't make it any less surprising to me.  

• Haha 1

At the Somerset fans forum on Tuesday evening, it cropped up that one of the NL clubs (whoever they are) would not be stepping up. This was in answer to a question about the number of meetings.

We (Somerset) can expect a maximum of 10 (9 + potentially 1 more, not 2) league, 3 (3 groups so at best, if we're in a group of 4) shield and 1 KO, i.e.14.  It could be as low as 12.

44 minutes ago, Willowman said:

At the Somerset fans forum on Tuesday evening, it cropped up that one of the NL clubs (whoever they are) would not be stepping up. This was in answer to a question about the number of meetings.

We (Somerset) can expect a maximum of 10 (9 + potentially 1 more, not 2) league, 3 (3 groups so at best, if we're in a group of 4) shield and 1 KO, i.e.14.  It could be as low as 12.

.... and yet people said I was wrong for saying if we was in the top division we would have more meetings of at least 14 league matches and 1 cup!

21 hours ago, Willowman said:

It's an eerie silence from whoever is coming up.....it would seem they are not overly keen to join the Championship...so why was it prematurely announced as part of the AGM news????

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

It's an eerie silence from whoever is coming up.....it would seem they are not overly keen to join the Championship...so why was it prematurely announced as part of the AGM news????

Who can blame them for having second thoughts. A big increase in costs and no guarantees of a sufficient increase in numbers through the turnstiles.

Just now, cityrebel said:

Who can blame them for having second thoughts. A big increase in costs and no guarantees of a sufficient increase in numbers through the turnstiles.

But surely such problems would have been discussed, and hopefully ironed out, during the AGM -  and so why was it announced two to come up???

Speedway is, as ever, a confusing sport for the fans to decipher.

10 minutes ago, singy13 said:

But surely such problems would have been discussed, and hopefully ironed out, during the AGM -  and so why was it announced two to come up???

I never take the sport too seriously. Not having a team to support anymore probably helps!

Reading this weeks S.Star seems like Birmingham have been surprised by the pay demands of Championship riders, and the delay with Eastbourne is due to the outstanding debts at Lakeside there is a doubt if J.Cook will keep is Promoters Licence 

20 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I never take the sport too seriously. Not having a team to support anymore probably helps!

Well that is the worst case scenario for you I would think........must admit I was not very sure of having speedway on my doorstep in 2019.....but brill it is...

I guess I'll have to keep my cool while watching the Rugby League at DP next summer too, pardon pun, - because I'll guarantee the usual wind ups will be thrown at me by the 'Town' fans, all are anti-speedway guys....sadly.

I hope Lakeside/Brum/Eastbourne do join in the Championship fun tho....whenever.

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

Perhaps to justify the reduction in points limit???