British Speedway Forum

Speedway Star in the winter

No doubt you will have all noticed the big changes in the Speedway Star since the end of the 2018 season.

Track correspondents have been axed. 

Now, we have a few 'big name' journalists writing rider-orientated news.

It's OK if they write about people like Robert Lambert but a whole load of words on those bumbling along does not grab me.

On the features side, Brian Burford bores for Britain, despite assurances his wordy copy would be cut down to a sensible length.

Last week's "state of the nation" was good (despite the Burford view, which all came down to what he found out at Swindon) but this week's issue is way off the mark.

It is really sad that one issue can be so good and a week later that something so dire can be produced.

29 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

No doubt you will have all noticed the big changes in the Speedway Star since the end of the 2018 season.

Track correspondents have been axed. 

Now, we have a few 'big name' journalists writing rider-orientated news.

It's OK if they write about people like Robert Lambert but a whole load of words on those bumbling along does not grab me.

On the features side, Brian Burford bores for Britain, despite assurances his wordy copy would be cut down to a sensible length.

Last week's "state of the nation" was good (despite the Burford view, which all came down to what he found out at Swindon) but this week's issue is way off the mark.

It is really sad that one issue can be so good and a week later that something so dire can be produced.

With little to report of the AGM and the included apologetic note my guess is they were knackered

Very, very harsh.

But unfortunately so true.

The timing of the AGM is partly to blame, so hopefully this was just a 'one off' dip in quality.

But the rather tragic over use of Philip Lanning is just a backward step to the 1990s.

20 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Very, very harsh.

The timing of the AGM is partly to blame, so hopefully this was just a 'one off' dip in quality.

But the rather tragic over use of Philip Lanning is just a backward step to the 1990s.

I have to agree re. Phil Lanning. A hugely irritating style of journalism.

1 hour ago, Grand Central said:

Very, very harsh.

CANNOT agree with that. We now have guys who get on the phone or meet people and produce copy that you won't find anywhere else. Phil Lanning is proving a great addition to the mag, Richard Weston's comments about Brian Burford are premature and as the winter unfolds we will produce a lot of different feature material. Sorry if you see it as a dip in quality. Completely the opposite in my opinion and at a time when we are swimming against the tide in terms of sales recent figures have been encouraging.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, falcace said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, it's a miracle a sport the size of speedway has a weekly magazine of such quality. Of course there are always going to be sections that interest some more than others. We're all different. Peter Oakes is always my first go-to pages, less so the lower league stuff. But the sheer scope of coverage is always impressive and by and large, very well written. Sometimes, I think the sport doesn't deserve such a high end publication. Keep up the good work

Actually I couldnt agree more.

My online subscription to the Star is one i turn to at Midnight every Wednesday and I will continue to do so without question ....

But that does end up meaning that I cannot help being immediately aware of things i really like and things I dont. And that just seemed a bit obvious this week. Especially the formulaic writing style of Mr Lanning over quite so many pages.

I am genuinely pleased that the sales are on the rise ... Clearly Phil Rising knows far more than I do about the decision making needed to run a mag successfully.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grand Central said:

I am genuinely pleased that the sales are on the rise ... Clearly Phil Rising knows far more than I do about the decision making needed to run a mag successfully.

I'm sure Philippe said he'd retired from day-to-day involvement with the mag... :blink:

You'll know that speedway has hit rock bottom when the Star appears as the guest magazine on the missing words round of Have I Got News For You!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

With little to report of the AGM and the included apologetic note my guess is they were knackered

The AGM only finished on the Wednesday & SS was, probably, already in print. Earlier in the year, it came out on the Friday to allow for the SoN. The AGM will probably be in this week with responses from Promoters, journalists & fans.

• Like 1

I always enjoy the winter issues of the Star as I enjoy reading about the history of the sport. I didn't feel any particular drop off this week from recent editions. Certain writers are not to everyone's taste. Did Brian Burford write the Swindon match reports last season? They were fairly awful. If I had a comment about Phil Lanning it's that I feel he's straining to write like his Dad, instead of being his own man.

• Like 2

I was a Speedway Star subscriber for many years, then about a couple of years ago I didnt renew my subscription as I seemed to get any speedway news and/or information from this site or another. Quite recently I bought the magazine again from the shelf, thoroughly enjoyed, in fact so much so I have taken out a years subscription, £120 well spent IMO.

Keep up the good work Speedway Star.

• Like 6

Much prefer the Winter editions. Over the past couple of years I've really enjoyed the "Where are they now?" feature, hope that's going to continue.

• Like 1

I have been a subscriber to Speedway Star for more years than I can remember.

A fantastic magazine - keep up the good work.

I also look forward to the "Where are they now" features and especially John Chaplin's "Museum Piece".

I do not think that there was any drop in quality in last week's issue - just unfortunate timing of the BSPA AGM. I am sure that we will get reasoned and informed comment and views in this week's issue.

• Like 1

I had an online sub previously and let it lapse, and immediately lost access to all content. Is that still the case i.e. when you have an active sub you have access to all past online issues, as soon as it lapses you lose all access to content, including the issues from the active sub period?

Also wonder Phil if you had looked at putting old issues online..say world final issues of the 80s?