British Speedway Forum

Speedway Star in the winter

I noticed something similar happens with the Online copies that are put up each week for 'Speedway Star' and 'Speedway Xtra'  They only feature on a weekly basis.

4 hours ago, gustix said:

I noticed something similar happens with the Online copies that are put up each week for 'Speedway Star' and 'Speedway Xtra'  They only feature on a weekly basis.

DON'T understand...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

I had an online sub previously and let it lapse, and immediately lost access to all content. Is that still the case i.e. when you have an active sub you have access to all past online issues, as soon as it lapses you lose all access to content, including the issues from the active sub period?

Also wonder Phil if you had looked at putting old issues online..say world final issues of the 80s?

WE haven't and am not sure we have the facility to do it ... but will enquire

12 hours ago, gustix said:

7 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DON'T understand...

I have been keeping details of 'Speedway Star' on a weekly basis as information regarding that week's issue is available. Despite the dates when stored, they only reflect the latest edition.

Speedway Star, November 10, 2018

www.speedwaystar.net

Speedway Star, November 17, 2018

www.speedwaystar.net

Speedway Star, November 24, 2018

www.speedwaystar.net

As I see it the same thing happens in regard to SPEEDWY XTRA:

Speedway Star Xtra, November 10, 2018.

www.speedwaystar.net/xtra

Speedway Star Xtra, November 17, 2018.

content.yudu.com/libraryHtml/A43g3i/xtra336November17201/reader.html?refUrl=https%253A%252F%252Fexpress.yudu.com%252Fitem%252Fdetails%252F3936855%252Fxtra-336-November-17-2018&fbclid=IwAR3NWssF2tFl7qki1Km0qQr84LTxGntYbydfCt7shO_UOUbLPBRQMxJR6Ms

Speedway Star Xtra, November 24,2018

www.speedwaystar.net/xtra?fbclid=IwAR2MjlHI8vVRA5oM0PtOS3q7jOeDQ7l4CSyLN06lc_pY7FgPjsfdqBHBAhA

Edited by Guest

Again, have to disagree. I like reading Brian Burford. He does a lot of research for his pieces.

As a whole, the Speedway Star is always good. Unfortunately, the news in it can be quite depressing.

Love the old articles. 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2018 at 11:31 AM, moxey63 said:

Again, have to disagree. I like reading Brian Burford. He does a lot of research for his pieces.

As a whole, the Speedway Star is always good. Unfortunately, the news in it can be quite depressing.

Love the old articles. 

My Burford beef is that a) he writes far too much and b) his style of writing is tedious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

My Burford beef is that a) he writes far too much and b) his style of writing is tedious.

I actually prefer the winter editions superb in my opinion, even in the season the star really can only report what most fans already know.As for Brian Burford i enjoy all his yesteryear articles and i have said endless times before the Speedway star is still great value.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 3

Always enjoy the winter editions.....especially the historical speedway articles. Much better IMO than the over reported SGP’s in the summer, when we have a series of “what xxx said” articles telling us all about the struggle to get “dialled in” or “set ups” correct , and how wonderful their “team” were. All a bit repetitive.

As for the content, the Star can only report the news available. If the promoters want to behave like a secret society , then the Star will have little to report.

This weeks edition with info from the AGM and interviews with Jon Cook was much more interesting. 

Sadly our UK “promoters” seem unable to use the media, whether online or offline, to promote their businesses. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Always enjoy the winter editions.....especially the historical speedway articles. Much better IMO than the over reported SGP’s in the summer, when we have a series of “what xxx said” articles telling us all about the struggle to get “dialled in” or “set ups” correct , and how wonderful their “team” were. All a bit repetitive.

As for the content, the Star can only report the news available. If the promoters want to behave like a secret society , then the Star will have little to report.

This weeks edition with info from the AGM and interviews with Jon Cook was much more interesting. 

Sadly our UK “promoters” seem unable to use the media, whether online or offline, to promote their businesses. 

Something that Martin Rogers commented upon in the latest edition of 'Backtrack'.

As regards articles telling us about the struggle to get "dialled in" or "set ups" it used to tire me when watching 'live' speedway on SKY when interviews were often based upon same.

I no longer subscibe to 'The Star' but I did purchase the Ivan Mauger tribute editions and they were superb!

Edited by steve roberts

Being a fan of Horse racing i used to regularly buy the racing post i soon stopped doing that.It went up from £ 2.40 to £3..40 in about 2 years.That puts into perspective just how good the Speedway star is value for money wise has it only gone up 10 p to £3.00 in the last couple of years.??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

I'm sure Richard Nixon didn't want Watergate to be reported either, but that didn't stop Woodward and Bernstein. A bit of investigative journalism needed perhaps?

I always let my subscription go over the winter. The style of writing in the endless features from decades gone by is like something from the Cholmomdely Warner character on tv. You can imagine him typing in black and white whilst wearing a dinner suit and bow tie. 

It’s  the same on most clubs websites ( not sure but think they’re all under BSPA / SCB control) they’ve failed to grasp that it’s the 21st century and the old style of writing and graphics are actually putting off the kind of clientele they’re trying to attract. 

Re speedway star, most of what you read in there can be found online anyway and in some cases you get the true story and not the one the promotion wants to put out. 

2 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

I always let my subscription go over the winter. The style of writing in the endless features from decades gone by is like something from the Cholmomdely Warner character on tv. You can imagine him typing in black and white whilst wearing a dinner suit and bow tie. 

It’s  the same on most clubs websites ( not sure but think they’re all under BSPA / SCB control) they’ve failed to grasp that it’s the 21st century and the old style of writing and graphics are actually putting off the kind of clientele they’re trying to attract. 

Re speedway star, most of what you read in there can be found online anyway and in some cases you get the true story and not the one the promotion wants to put out. 

SORRY, but cannot agree with any of that. When was the last time you actual saw an edition? Call Dave on 020-8335113 and he will put this week's in the post for you.

• Like 1

Personally I find the nostalgia  very interesting. The close season is by definition quiet and if there is any news it will be in Speedway Star

Edited by wealdstone

I find it sad that some wont buy the Speedway Star just because they dont like one section in the winter issues, ok it might not interest everyone but as a whole its still a worthwhile read. 

Each to their own I suppose.

• Like 1