British Speedway Forum

Speedway Star in the winter

On 11/28/2018 at 12:54 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

I'm sure Richard Nixon didn't want Watergate to be reported either, but that didn't stop Woodward and Bernstein. A bit of investigative journalism needed perhaps?

I imagine the resources available to the Washington Post and the Speedway Star are rather different.

4 minutes ago, Chadster said:

I imagine the resources available to the Washington Post and the Speedway Star are rather different.

The BSPA hardly has the resources of the Republican Party to cover up its goings on.... ;)

8 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

I always let my subscription go over the winter. The style of writing in the endless features from decades gone by is like something from the Cholmomdely Warner character on tv. You can imagine him typing in black and white whilst wearing a dinner suit and bow tie. 

It’s  the same on most clubs websites ( not sure but think they’re all under BSPA / SCB control) they’ve failed to grasp that it’s the 21st century and the old style of writing and graphics are actually putting off the kind of clientele they’re trying to attract. 

Re speedway star, most of what you read in there can be found online anyway and in some cases you get the true story and not the one the promotion wants to put out. 

Maybe when your son retires you may want to read the odd article? ?? god are you that tight you stop the substriction for a few pennies!!!!!! Strange really most Speedway families I know  get the speedway star everyweek.

20 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SORRY, but cannot agree with any of that. When was the last time you actual saw an edition? Call Dave on 020-8335113 and he will put this week's in the post for you.

So you think all clubs websites are as good as they can be ?

last edition I saw ?  This weeks, my subscription finishes this week. I won’t renew ( if at all) until March /April 

42 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

So you think all clubs websites are as good as they can be ?

NO I don't but they are nothing to do with us. Sorry that you won't be renewing.

Being fair, Speedway Star are - in large part - a victim of circumstance.

They 'peaked' early this winter with the excellent pre-AGM issue that was quite a departure from the usual fare the mag offers and could not be faulted.
But since then there has been so little to be reported of any consquence that they were always going  to be floudering for decent copy.
My (very personal) view is that the reliance on a couple of rather stolid chunks of historical stuff and severe bout of Lanningitis has not helped much.

I feel that the pre-AGM issue actualy raised an awful lot of expectations that something really would change for the better as a result of Chepstow.
But the outcome was as non-event as possible and left many deflated.
Similarly, the high spot of that issue of the Star has been followed with a return to what is largely the same-old format.

The moral is we should all be happy with the Speedway we have ... for fear that we wont have any at all.
And we should stick with the Star during the winter ... or risk being without a weekly mag at all come March/April.

I will be renewing.

Edited by Grand Central

19 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Being fair, Speedway Star are - in large part - a victim of circumstance.

They 'peaked' early this winter with the excellent pre-AGM issue that was quite a departure from the usual fare the mag offers and could not be faulted.
But since then there has been so little to be reported of any consquence that they were always going  to be floudering for decent copy.
My (very personal) view is that the reliance on a couple of rather stolid chunks of historical stuff and severe bout of Lanningitis has not helped much.

I feel that the pre-AGM issue actualy raised an awful lot of expectations that something really would change for the better as a result of Chepstow.
Similarly, the high spot of that issue of the Star has been followed with a return to what is largely the same-old format.

The moral is we should all be happy with the Speedway we have ... for fear that we wont have any at all.
And we should stick with the Star during the winter ... or risk being without a weekly mag at all come March/April.

I will be renewing.

THANKS ... 

The postman has just been & this is the 2nd time my Star has not been delivered on the Thursday or Friday since the end of the season. The last time I had to ring up to check if there was a problem, which they said there was for my area, & sent one the next day. I will wait for tomorrows mail before making another call. 

2 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

The postman has just been & this is the 2nd time my Star has not been delivered on the Thursday or Friday since the end of the season. The last time I had to ring up to check if there was a problem, which they said there was for my area, & sent one the next day. I will wait for tomorrows mail before making another call. 

Nine times out of ten, when a subscription doesn't arrive, it is down to Royal Mail. 

I didn't have a problem during the season, though. 

16 hours ago, Grand Central said:

In the pre-AGM issue it felt as if the concerns of many fans about the direction of UK speedway could at last NOT be ignored. That, of course, proved to be another false dawn and the managed decline will go on as usual - until extinction. No mention so far of a new marketing initiative to reach other parts of the general public to whom, speedway is but a distant memory ( at best ). We look to be back in the same old tired league structure that will bring the same problems many fans dislike. Another 5 or 10% will likely fade away from the terraces in 2019.

22 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I didn't have a problem during the season, though. 

SUB copies leave Surbiton at around 11am every Wednesday ... Christmas week will be a little different

22 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Nine times out of ten, when a subscription doesn't arrive, it is down to Royal Mail. 

The Royal Mail are the SS's delivery agents of choice. If they're not 'delivering' on their commitments then it's down to the SS to find someone who can?

On 11/29/2018 at 3:12 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

SORRY, but cannot agree with any of that. When was the last time you actual saw an edition? Call Dave on 020-8335113 and he will put this week's in the post for you.

So how many 'Jonny the spuds' rang in then ????............just wondering lol.