British Speedway Forum

Speedway Star in the winter

19 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

The Royal Mail are the SS's delivery agents of choice. If they're not 'delivering' on their commitments then it's down to the SS to find someone who can?

Not sure who else you would get to deliver at that cost to anywhere in the UK. 

25 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

The Royal Mail are the SS's delivery agents of choice. If they're not 'delivering' on their commitments then it's down to the SS to find someone who can?

Of course and charge accordingly, I bet you blame the BSPA when it's raining too!

Speaking as I find, my Star was also late this week, quick call to Dave Fairbrother in the Circualtion Dept and a replacment was popped in the post, arrived today.  Original never tuned up, but can't complain, first time it's been late this year, subscribing a few years ago was still a good decision and saves money too....

• Like 1

Must admit I actually prefer Speedway Star in the winter. I think the 6 pages of UK match reports in the season are a waste of content as you can read this content virtually as soon as the match has finished on the net. I do prefer the historical content of when the sport was in a much better place. I really did enjoy the issue produced on the current state of the sport 3 weeks ago, excellent stuff. I have been interested in the next issues letters page as I'm sure that issue would attract  an avalanche of correspondence from the readership. We have had to wait 3 weeks for the next letters page to be present. We only had 3 letters thou, the first one was from a guy who has done some comparisons between the price to watch Hackney in 1965 and what that would equate to today . His  argument is pro rata the cost to watch Hackney in 65 is £5.79 and admission at 17 /18 quid is hopelessly out of line with inflation. What is he saying " speedway is a £5.79 sport. If that's the argument I hope he sent his letter with a stamp from 65 as a new first class one is 65 pence . He hopefully didn't have to drive to the post box with todays petrol prices and sending his letter by email with a computer and broadband would be out of the question. The letter sender lives in London so I would not want to hear his view on the TV licence or a BT subscription to get his speedway fix. The other letter was from historian John Chaplin arguing the toss over the date of the first British Final ? It probably wasn't going to keep anyone awake at night except himself. The last letter was from Len Silver who seems to get a lot of letters published. He was basically slagging Jon Cook off for saying the South East deserved a higher standard of speedway than the National league and that's why Eastbourne were moving into the Championship. He rounded on Cook that he had obviously not visited his own promotion at Kent, and that the entertainment and value that we serve is out of the top drawer. Maybe Len should realise that self praise is no praise. I have an issue with the promoters at the moment who seem to insist that the racing and product is better than ever, some experienced scribes at Speedway Star also concur with this. If this is the case then why are crowds at there lowest ever ?, I'm not one that agrees with the promoters on that front. I'm also told its the rules, that comical, farcical double points rule. Well that has been amended and still the missing thousands don't return. This years idea is a 2 minute clock on the centre green. It won't make a blot of difference to how many come through the turnstiles. I suspect the same diehards will be watching next year as this and this time next year the sport will still be in crisis with more track closures. On the back of the speedway star issue what has actually changed dramatically to rescue the sport from the abyss, as far  as I can see not much. Surely there are more suitable letters worthy of print that the ones the Speedway Star selected this week ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

Of course and charge accordingly, I bet you blame the BSPA when it's raining too!

If a company, any company, aren't challenged for poor performance, they'll continue 'delivering' poor performance. In this instance it's down to SS management to do the challenging.

Edited by Wolfsbane

Regarding Royal Mail I used to always receive mine on a Thursday (with the odd exception) but when they changed their internal work practices a few years ago things are more sporadic - I would say it is more a 70/30 split in favour - but being a supporter of a defunct track I am not in such a hunger for my weekly fix.

It is rare indeed  that my SS does not arrive  on a Thursday

• Like 1

Even here in Bavaria the SS usually (9 out of 10 times) arrives on Friday, occasioanlly on Saturdays, and very rarely as late as on Tuesday of the following week. There is nothing to complain about.

5 hours ago, Wolfsbane said:

If a company, any company, aren't challenged for poor performance, they'll continue 'delivering' poor performance. In this instance it's down to SS management to do the challenging.

They've been consistently challenged by the media and businesses since the First/Second Class postage was set up in 1968 - the only thing that has changed in 50 years is that Dick Turpin doesn't rob the postal service he runs it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2018 at 1:57 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

NEXT week we have a fantastic feature and photos of Ricky Ashworth ... back on a 'bike.'

Read this yesterday, it's nice to see that Ricky is making progress. You have to admire the determination and hard work he's put in to get to this stage, not forgetting of course the wonderful job his dad continues to do. They should both be very proud of how much they've achieved together.

If he ends up taking part in the Paralympics then it would obviously be an amazing story but whether that happens or not it's great that he's found a way to keep involved in sport. Good luck to Ricky and his family. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Read this yesterday, it's nice to see that Ricky is making progress. You have to admire the determination and hard work he's put in to get to this stage, not forgetting of course the wonderful job his dad continues to do. They should both be very proud of how much they've achieved together.

If he ends up taking part in the Paralympics then it would obviously be an amazing story but whether that happens or not it's great that he's found a way to keep involved in sport. Good luck to Ricky and his family. 

It would certainly be quite a story if he was to make it to the Olympics and a one I hope receives attention from a wider audience than just the followers of speedway. 

Thought this week's Speedway Star was spot on.

Good mix of news and varied features. 

This is the improvement Philip Rising referred to a while back and it is there for all to see.

Well done

• Like 3

SS through the winter is a good read for sure. Through the season i don't really look at any match reports but in the winter it's a cover to cover read.

Mine arrives on a Thursday 99 times out of 100

Everything covered this week, enjoyed reading my copy. I like how the news section has interviews with riders and management which aren't just pasted from club websites, they are a good read. Ricky Ashworth piece was wonderful.