British Speedway Forum

Speedway Star in the winter

On 11/30/2018 at 11:38 AM, Jonny the spud said:

So you think all clubs websites are as good as they can be ?

last edition I saw ?  This weeks, my subscription finishes this week. I won’t renew ( if at all) until March /April 

SS is the only weekly, glossy magazine we have. I’m not a great fan of the pre 80’s flashbacks, as I can’t relate as much - but understand many others can. Surely it’s one of the few supporting selling tools for current and potential sponsorship opportunities.

• Like 2

During the last few weeks the SS has included lengthy in depth interviews with Kenneth Bjerre, Chris Harris, Emil Sayfutdinov and Natalie Quirk and an in depth look at the rivalry between Nielsen and Gundersen. I've enjoyed reading them. 

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

During the last few weeks the SS has included lengthy in depth interviews with Kenneth Bjerre, Chris Harris, Emil Sayfutdinov and Natalie Quirk and an in depth look at the rivalry between Nielsen and Gundersen. I've enjoyed reading them. 

THANKS ...

1 hour ago, Aces51 said:

I enjoyed the article on No Limits and am pleased that someone is doing the work of the BSPA in organising proper youth training, rather than just track time. 

But I was disappointed to read this on Twitter:

Maybe if Dean had had a chance of some training, he could have become a decent rider? Or maybe not :)

EDIT: Sorry couldn’t post link

Edited by Wee Eck
Link too large to post

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THANKS ...

Just joining in to echo those sentiments.

Between me and members of my immediate family we have three subscriptions to the Star.

Anybody beat that? ;)

30 minutes ago, lastword said:

Just joining in to echo those sentiments.

Between me and members of my immediate family we have three subscriptions to the Star.

Anybody beat that? ;)

HAVE you all joined our subs club? Lots of prizes in the weeks and months ahead

You may know that I have been critical of the Speedway Star's winter editions in the past.

This year, it has been much improved.

However, no-one seems able to bring Brian Burford in to line. Philip Rising promised me on this forum that he would waffle would be cut down..Burford has been given a free hand, again.

Why can no-one at the Speedway Star see that this writer needs a damn good copy editor?

He over writes and confuses readers with how he deals with direct quotes.

You are reading a quote from one person and the next para turns out to be a quote from another.

Doesn't he know the basics?

When you start a quote, introduce who is saying it.

Last week's Olsen/Nielsen feature was dreadful. You have to keep re-reading to understand who is talking.

Didn't buy this week's, as I saw what I read was part one. I could not stand the prospect of more this turgid, badly written dross.

Come on Philip Rising, get a grip...surely you must recognise how weak these features are. The content may be OK (if Swindon biased) but there must be a copy editor who can sort this out for you.

Those four pages would have made a good double pager, if told properly.

Don't you have copy editors any more?

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

You may know that I have been critical of the Speedway Star's winter editions in the past.

This year, it has been much improved.

However, no-one seems able to bring Brian Burford in to line. Philip Rising promised me on this forum that he would waffle would be cut down..Burford has been given a free hand, again.

Why can no-one at the Speedway Star see that this writer needs a damn good copy editor?

He over writes and confuses readers with how he deals with direct quotes.

You are reading a quote from one person and the next para turns out to be a quote from another.

Doesn't he know the basics?

When you start a quote, introduce who is saying it.

Last week's Olsen/Nielsen feature was dreadful. You have to keep re-reading to understand who is talking.

Didn't buy this week's, as I saw what I read was part one. I could not stand the prospect of more this turgid, badly written dross.

Come on Philip Rising, get a grip...surely you must recognise how weak these features are. The content may be OK (if Swindon biased) but there must be a copy editor who can sort this out for you.

Those four pages would have made a good double pager, if told properly.

Don't you have copy editors any more?

WE have cut back on the number of words in many features, including Brian's, but I cannot accept your criticism. As someone who was very close to the Olsen/Gundersen/Nielsen issues, and wrote about them regularly in the Daily Express, I enjoyed the feature and the memories it brought back.Your continued comments about Brian suggest an ulterior motive. But, as ever, we respect everyone's right to an opinion.

Have to say recent editions have been good reads. I 've gone from buying it if u see it, to hunting it down.

Probably gonna commit to a subscription for the first time  in my February pay packet.

Have a couple of pieces of work I 've written that I am thinking of submitting to the SS. I know the rumour is that the mags scribes have all the page space locked up, but whom would i submit my articles too, in the hope they get used?

10 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WE have cut back on the number of words in many features, including Brian's, but I cannot accept your criticism. As someone who was very close to the Olsen/Gundersen/Nielsen issues, and wrote about them regularly in the Daily Express, I enjoyed the feature and the memories it brought back.Your continued comments about Brian suggest an ulterior motive. But, as ever, we respect everyone's right to an opinion.

No ulterior motive, whatsoever. I accept and am pleased features are now generally the "right" length, although BB does seem to be creeping up as the winter goes on.

I certainly don't dispute that the Danish content wasn't interesting.

My main complaint is the with the way the article is constructed; particularly the construction where he ends one person talking in this manner."

"And starts a totally different person in this manner, with no introduction.

[You are looking at the quote marks]

If you miss the closed quote, you think it is the same person still speaking until a rebuttal of what you have read before occurs.

(a) the writer should change his ways or (b) you sub editors should change the copy. If that happened, we would all be happy :)

On 1/25/2019 at 9:21 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

THANKS ...

That reminds me, please can you pass on my ‘Thank You’ to Dave. Completely forgot I was on my 4 issue warning. Called Dave Friday afternoon, renewed subscription - delivered less than 24 hours later. Great service. 

Subscription really is the way to go, in my opinion. Much cheaper, delivered every Thursday - no need for hunting, wasting time and fuel. 

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I have really enjoyed the history of the British Final articles and the Erik/ Hans rivalry was also a superb read to.

Wish that I had read the article on Hans and Erik (although I've read versions in 'Backtrack') as it was a continuing factor during the eighties...especially with Olsen sticking his nose in!