British Speedway Forum

Speedway Star in the winter

3 minutes ago, semion said:

When is the pre-season bumper edition out?  Now my one Speedway Star purchase of the year

Believe its the 6/4 edition.

Have the Star done away with match reports?  The Racing Record in this week’s publication only shows scorers and heat details.

YES. Due to financial restraints and the fact that many reports are over a week out of date at the time of publication we will be incorporating them into weekly news copy. Scorers, heat details will continue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Big mistake from the Speedway Star if they're not going to include full scorers of all matches.

Probably the main reason for buying it is for the back few pages to easily check the scores of various riders I follow, but don't get to see on a regular basis, and also to have the scores for future reference.

Might cancel the Star now and just print the relevant completed racecards from the BSPA site.

Edited by WalterPlinge
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Big mistake from the Speedway Star if they're not going to include full scorers of all matches.

Probably the main reason for buying it is for the back few pages to easily check the scores of various riders I follow, but don't get to see on a regular basis, and also to have the scores for future reference.

Might cancel the Star now and just print the relevant completed racecards from the BSPA site.

They are.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Scorers, heat details will continue.

There you go WalterPlinge - the scorers and heat details will continue.

Edited by lucifer sam

8 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Oh dear! No heat times and no match reports. I’ll have to seriously consider whether it will be worthwhile to renew my subscription in a few months time if things do not improve. Also seem to have lost all local track reporters.

2 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

They are.

Seems not.  Seems the "Racing Record" section at the back with all the match reports and scorers is being scrapped.   Now going to have to flick backwards and forwards through the mag to find various bits of scorers.  

Sounds poor

2 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Also seem to have lost all local track reporters.

Not good.

And it all seems mixed up lately.   You get stories  a club press release from a NL team on the same page as a Premiership team, rather than being properly organised in sections.    So (say) a Cradley fan finally finds the Cradley piece, and then wants to read about his NL rivals from (say) Stoke, it could be anywhere instead of being in the same NL section.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Oh dear! No heat times and no match reports. I’ll have to seriously consider whether it will be worthwhile to renew my subscription in a few months time if things do not improve. Also seem to have lost all local track reporters.

NOT all and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. Our track coverage is actually much improved and details of each meeting (scorers, heats, etc) come from the official programmes submitted by the referee. As speedway attendances have plummeted so too has our circulation, we make no secret of that. 

Just now, WalterPlinge said:

Not good.

And it all seems mixed up lately.   You get stories  a club press release from a NL team on the same page as a Premiership team, rather than being properly organised in sections.    So (say) a Cradley fan finally finds the Cradley piece, and then wants to read about his NL rivals from (say) Stoke, it could be anywhere instead of being in the same NL section.

WE do not use press releases.

12 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NOT all and we have to cut our cloth accordingly. Our track coverage is actually much improved and details of each meeting (scorers, heats, etc) come from the official programmes submitted by the referee. As speedway attendances have plummeted so too has our circulation, we make no secret of that. 

PAYING contributors for match reports cost over £11,000 a season. 

12 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

PAYING contributors for match reports cost over £11,000 a season. 

Understand the financial side.

But that is going to be a major loss for me as a subscriber. Match Reports was the section i always turned to second straight after the page 2/3 news page.

Cannot bear to sift through the track by track articles to piece it all together.

Understand why it was a 'call' you had to make ... But I think it is a wrong one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Understand the financial side.

But that is going to be a major loss for me as a subscriber. Match Reports was the section i always turned to second straight after the page 2/3 news page.

Cannot bear to sift through the track by track articles to piece it all together.

Understand why it was a 'call' you had to make ... But I think it is a wrong one.

Agree entirely.   This is the way I read Speedway Star too, and I imagine the way most people read it.   Read the main news on the first 2 pages first, then straight to the back for the full match reports and scorers.

If we have to lose the match reports for financial reasons, and the scorer details will now be dotted randomly throughout, then I guess that's how it will have to be, but I don't think it's a good decision, and it may lose more subscribers.

Surely though it can't be expensive to get someone to organise the pages so that the Premiership clubs' news is all together, the Championship all together, and the NDL all together?  it's a terrible mess at the moment with everything all higgledy-piggledy and hard to read.

• Like 4