British Speedway Forum

Speedway Star in the winter

Thoroughly enjoyed this weeks edition.

Like the format of reporting results by Division, Premier / Championship (no NL yet) and race results backed up by small write up and interviews with Riders. 

Very much like the "featured match" and not just because Brummies (v Eastbourne) is featured match, lots of good detail in there about various aspects of the plans and hopes for the season of both Clubs and an insight in to how they plan to be a success, if they involve every Club in this is coming weeks and months will be very good.

I do think it relies on those being asked questions being open and transparent and good communicators and they have picked 2 good Clubs in that respect to start with, certainly Dave Mason and Laurence Rogers know their onions and seems the new Promotion at Eastbourne have some real vision. 

It's change, people don't like change but this is a nice try at something different.

I have criticised in the winter but well done this week

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Somebody announces them over the tannoy!!! Write them down or ask the person who announced them, get a fan to send them in or maybe the speedway updates has them? I know we want the official ones and not some that someone has misheard, but it isn’t too difficult. I like the idea of getting fans to send in a report  You have to cut your cloth accordingly

That was not my point, of course you can get them. Send a friend to every match to sit next to the timekeeper and thats sorted.

I'd prefer if the officials filled the program with all the info on hand and made it public. That way if I wanted to know stuff, I'd find it or had it sent to me.

This was my favourite subject with FIM officials for years, I wanted them to fill the scorecharts like SGP does. Did not happen in the ten years I kept trying, only went worse… One leading French official who's still in charge of LT and sit's in CCP (no names mentioned) just said that FIM does not keep record of heat times… Why the f__k not, since they are taken why cant they be kept for people to see??? There still are people who want to share info for people that want to know.

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

It is often said here that Speedway should be grateful for the quality of Speedway Star we get as it is a far higher standard that the rest of the sport deserves.

I do agree with that sentiment, wholeheartedly.

But one of the failings of British Speedway - in my eyes -  is that it has been producing a poorer value product year after year and charging the same price for it. In general the paying numbers have fallen as a result. But the argument for continued 'cost cutting' has always been made on the basis of 'the sport having to cut its cloth'. Despite the fact that will only result in more loss of paying cusomers in a downward spiral.

The star has resisted such a silly approach .... until now.

But it would now seem that the arguments used for dropping match reports, of the style that has always been a core part of the magazine's appeal, are exactly the same 'cutting our cloth' that have got the whole sport into this mess.

I suppose it is fittingly ironic that the mag should make just the same sort of mistake as the promoters have been doing for years.

But it is terribly sad.

PS.

And the bizarre discussion on race times that have suddenly become so ridiculously difficult  for The Star to include just beggars belief when they are announced over the tannoy and the updates site have them live as they happen.

Why have we all gone mental this year ?

I was going to mention that.

The Star should take note of what happened to British Speedway when that tried to cut corners.

What next? Page numbers?

Edited by moxey63

3 hours ago, Gambo said:

That is up to them if they note them down somewhere, but there is no provision in the Official Spreadsheet to input race times.

Have a look on the SCB website where you can download completed meeting Scorecards/Programmes

Out of interest, why is that provision not included?

I like your spreadsheets - which are very clean.

But there's a very clear space where the heat time could go if necessary (under the heat number).  Why were you asked to design the spreadsheet without this key provision?  It's hard to see where the SCB were going with this - why purposely omit a key detail to a meeting?

1 hour ago, f-s-p said:

That was not my point, of course you can get them. Send a friend to every match to sit next to the timekeeper and thats sorted.

I'd prefer if the officials filled the program with all the info on hand and made it public. That way if I wanted to know stuff, I'd find it or had it sent to me.

This was my favourite subject with FIM officials for years, I wanted them to fill the scorecharts like SGP does. Did not happen in the ten years I kept trying, only went worse… One leading French official who's still in charge of LT and sit's in CCP (no names mentioned) just said that FIM does not keep record of heat times… Why the f__k not, since they are taken why cant they be kept for people to see??? There still are people who want to share info for people that want to know.

But it seems you are talking about international speedway and quite possibly in those countries there isn't such a tradition of heat times being important.Look at the German forum and I don't think they bother with heat times. But we are specifically talking about British speedway, where it has always been a tradition

Race times are fondly recorded in Polish Speedway, they are even shown with the heat results on their live TV coverages.

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

But it seems you are talking about international speedway and quite possibly in those countries there isn't such a tradition of heat times being important.Look at the German forum and I don't think they bother with heat times. But we are specifically talking about British speedway, where it has always been a tradition

… and there is absolutely no need to stop that. Tony Steele is as an anorak as me when it comes to results. Make him say the words and they are in print for any magazine or website to publish. It's all about just doing it.

2 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Out of interest, why is that provision not included?

I like your spreadsheets - which are very clean.

But there's a very clear space where the heat time could go if necessary (under the heat number).  Why were you asked to design the spreadsheet without this key provision?  It's hard to see where the SCB were going with this - why purposely omit a key detail to a meeting?

Thanks for the kind words regarding the Spreadsheets. :t:

The two spaces below the Heat Number are for recording the number of re-starts per heat. First space is for Re-Starts (Starting Offence) the space below that is for Re-Starts (Other- Falls etc.)

On 3/20/2019 at 11:23 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU don't have to enter once you have joined. Winners are drawn monthly.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:08 AM, Hodgy said:

Then why the competition question? 

Philip, don’t recall a response - apologise if I’ve missed it, or misunderstood. Today’s SS has another competition for subscribers that includes a question to enter. Please can you confirm the process. 

PS - SS must include the results in the back pages, whatever format the costs permit. Always an easy go to, and probably the most read. Really not liking the change. 

Bit disapponted heat times are not included in Speedway Star so far, and also team manager details, hope they will be in the future.  Thing is in any race, in any sport, competitors are racing primarily against the clock, their opponents and also themselves.  No one can make each and every meeting and reading meeting reports, studying heat details and also race times permits fans to gauge how a track rode, how teams are progressing, who was quick, etc.  For example; Scunny's opener v Leicester in the Official Referee Scorecard against Jedd List's 2nd ride in heat 5, the result shows R, and also in the rider's individual scorechart.  So people will most likely assume he retired from the actual race due to machinery problems, due no reasonable prospect of making progress following on-track incidents or mistakes, being too far behind, etc.  I was at the meeting and in heat 5 List suffered a bike problem at the gate, his engine made a loud POP and he never left the start line, so I entered EF (engine failure) in my programme.  Jedd List has since been replaced by Danny Ayres of course, I just used him as an example and wish him well.  Speedway has been described as 'a mathematician or numeracy enthusiasts paradise' and while I wouldn't go that far, heat details with as much info as possbile allow fans to follow all meetings, leagues, teams & riders with the 'Star usually being the first source of such info....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar 2x, (sigh)
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gambo said:

Thanks for the kind words regarding the Spreadsheets. :t:

The two spaces below the Heat Number are for recording the number of re-starts per heat. First space is for Re-Starts (Starting Offence) the space below that is for Re-Starts (Other- Falls etc.)

Ah, I have seen numbers in those boxes - thanks for clarifying.

I reckon you could redesign that spreadsheet in no time at all to include the capacity for race times.  Which all comes back to the SCB not wanting them in their official results. Up until now, there's always been the Speedway Star to fall back on.  But now the Speedway Star are using the official scorecards for their results, maybe it's time for a re-think from the SCB. 

Anyone who wants race times needs to look no further than the Updates site which includes them in all the other details about the racing. 

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

Ah, I have seen numbers in those boxes - thanks for clarifying.

I reckon you could redesign that spreadsheet in no time at all to include the capacity for race times.  Which all comes back to the SCB not wanting them in their official results. Up until now, there's always been the Speedway Star to fall back on.  But now the Speedway Star are using the official scorecards for their results, maybe it's time for a re-think from the SCB. 

It would be possible to tweak the layout to include Race Times, but the directive to include them officially has to come from the SCB.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/18658/leicester-championship-shield-05-2019?page=1&scrollTo=375878

Race times anyone?

There are, also, no race details on this meeting in the report on our website.

Yes. For those of us who want this info we will have go trawling the net for the simple stuff, now.  Whether we find it all, consistently, in one place is very haphazard.

Wouldn't it be brilliant if we could rely upon a weekly magazine to always give us the full details, race times and even a short report On each match attached to them.

And for them all to be packaged together in chronological order in their own section at the back of the mag.

It's such a good idea I'm surprised no one has thought of it before now.

2019. It's like going back to the 1930s.

Edited by Grand Central