British Speedway Forum

Speedway Star in the winter

22 hours ago, Gambo said:

The Referees do not make note of the race times in their official Match Programme.

Seems strange that referees record times (presumably in the match programme) but their is no space for it on the computerised template, surely that is easily rectified ?.

15 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Philip, don’t recall a response - apologise if I’ve missed it, or misunderstood. Today’s SS has another competition for subscribers that includes a question to enter. Please can you confirm the process. 

PS - SS must include the results in the back pages, whatever format the costs permit. Always an easy go to, and probably the most read. Really not liking the change. 

ENTRY to the SS subs club is free and there is an easy monthly question to answer for a variety of prizes... sorry for the confusion. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Yes. For those of us who want this info we will have go trawling the net for the simple stuff, now.  Whether we find it all, consistently, in one place is very haphazard.

Wouldn't it be brilliant if we could rely upon a weekly magazine to always give us the full details, race times and even a short report On each match attached to them.

And for them all to be packaged together in chronological order in their own section at the back of the mag.

It's such a good idea I'm surprised no one has thought of it before now.

2019. It's like going back to the 1930s.

IF we had crowds like the 1930's things might be different. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Seems strange that referees record times (presumably in the match programme) but their is no space for it on the computerised template, surely that is easily rectified ?.

The point is that SOME referees keep a track of race times on their (printed) match programme, it is their preference and not mandatory.

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

The point is that SOME referees keep a track of race times on their (printed) match programme, it is their preference and not mandatory.

Of course, if it was mandatory no doubt it would be included in your template.

Bearing in mind it’s fairly relevant bearing in mind programmes generally provide a TR holder and this is included in pretty much every Speedway programme I find it strange that officially it’s not required.

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Bearing in mind it’s fairly relevant bearing in mind programmes generally provide a TR holder and this is included in pretty much every Speedway programme I find it strange that officially it’s not required.

Look, this is British speedway we are talking about, so why would you even begin to think that things made any sense??? :blink:

Steve

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WE are looking at including times with heat details...

Better had... or you'll have one of those petition thingies to contend with.

6 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Good stuff Phil, glad to hear....

15 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Thank you Phil, this is great news, its just that for 50 years of following this sport and buying and collecting this great magazine we have always had race details and times, whenever i go back through copy's from years gone by i always look to find who was the quickest at the meeting and not just the points scored. So once again thank you. 

I like the new design and reshuffling of the content in this week's Star, its a brilliant product - even without the race times.  

Phillip Rising!  Can you please reintroduce the match reports PLEASE............. I realise this cost time. money & logistics but I feel it's part of the stars DNA.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Phillip Rising!  Can you please reintroduce the match reports PLEASE............. I realise this cost time. money & logistics but I feel it's part of the stars DNA.

Something not quite right about having all the match details, apart from winning times, and no match report linked to them. For instance, just trying to find why last week's Wolverhampton match was abandoned after two heats. It's probably in the magazine somewhere, but I lost heart trying to find why. I like some of the new format - the cover is impressive - but when you have to look on the internet to find why Wolves was abandoned, that tells me the Star is failing in its duty. Of course, I don't know the ins and outs why things have been cut, possibly costs, but historians need as much information when they look at old magazines. And, for me, buying the Star nowadays is mainly for reference, like match reports etc, something to call back on in future days. If it exists on the internet anyway, some may as well save their three quid. Doesn't make sense. But what do I know? 

Edited by moxey63

52 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

SORRY but that isn't going to happen. The choice at the moment is a Speedway Star with no match reports as previously included or possibly no SS at all. I fully realise and appreciate this will disappoint many but sales have actually increased marginally in the past month. Have stated many times that we cannot please all of the people all of the time and we have plenty saying that many of the match reports were a week out of date and the information was available on the Internet much sooner.