British Speedway Forum

Speedway Star in the winter

20 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WE are looking at including times with heat details...

I am therefore no longer buying it...

I simply don't want heat details included....

I put up with them for 45 years but not any more...

I have timed every race myself since 1974 on my Timex (digital) and there is often as much as 0.06 of a second difference between my accurate figure and the person in the box who obviously cannot do their job properly...

Brur brur,  dribble, dribble...

No wonder Speedway is....... etc etc etc....

Not easy to please everyone Phil as you say....;)

Keep up the good work...:t:

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SORRY but that isn't going to happen. The choice at the moment is a Speedway Star with no match reports as previously included or possibly no SS at all. I fully realise and appreciate this will disappoint many but sales have actually increased marginally in the past month. Have stated many times that we cannot please all of the people all of the time and we have plenty saying that many of the match reports were a week out of date and the information was available on the Internet much sooner. 

I am therefore worried about Speedway Star's health.

Edited by moxey63

3 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

We should all worry about the health of everything involved with British speedway. 

The Star is the glue that holds it together. 

39 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SORRY but that isn't going to happen. The choice at the moment is a Speedway Star with no match reports as previously included or possibly no SS at all. I fully realise and appreciate this will disappoint many but sales have actually increased marginally in the past month. Have stated many times that we cannot please all of the people all of the time and we have plenty saying that many of the match reports were a week out of date and the information was available on the Internet much sooner. 

Hi, Philip,

Regarding circulation figures. I am sure that many sales were made back in the day at Belle Vue/KIrkmanshulme Lane via the track shop situated in the space where every fan entered the stadium. This shop was operated by an independent as I recall but nowadays the small shop in the main stand of the NSS is staffed by the club.

I watch from the South stand at the NSS so can't say whether the small track shop in the main stand stocks the Star, but if not then perhaps you could address that issue. There is certainly no Star on offer at the South stand, (but then those of us who watch from there are second class citizens to that extent!) Sore point but off topic.

I also recall that during my (too many:)) years following the sport that most tracks I visited always had the Star on sale somewhere, usually from a 'seller' near to the turnstiles.  Perhaps this is still the case (if not at B.Vue) but if not it could be addressed as an obvious way to reach those fans who would buy the Star, given the chance, even if only occasionally.

Apologies if this post is a case of a fan teaching an expert how to suck eggs, but we cannot let the Star disappear without trying every avenue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lastword said:

Hi, Philip,

Regarding circulation figures. I am sure that many sales were made back in the day at Belle Vue/KIrkmanshulme Lane via the track shop situated in the space where every fan entered the stadium. This shop was operated by an independent as I recall but nowadays the small shop in the main stand of the NSS is staffed by the club.

I watch from the South stand at the NSS so can't say whether the small track shop in the main stand stocks the Star, but if not then perhaps you could address that issue. There is certainly no Star on offer at the South stand, (but then those of us who watch from there are second class citizens to that extent!) Sore point but off topic.

I also recall that during my (too many:)) years following the sport that most tracks I visited always had the Star on sale somewhere, usually from a 'seller' near to the turnstiles.  Perhaps this is still the case (if not at B.Vue) but if not it could be addressed as an obvious way to reach those fans who would buy the Star, given the chance, even if only occasionally.

Apologies if this post is a case of a fan teaching an expert how to suck eggs, but we cannot let the Star disappear without trying every avenue.

YOU are right. In years gone by Speedway Star was sold at all the tracks, generally by people like Eddie Toogood (Eastbourne, Hackney, Wimbledon), Kojak (Oxford), Dave Rattenbery. Mick Gregory and others who walked round the various stadiums. More recently many resorted to setting up general merchandise stalls, etc and fans have to make a conscious effort to buy the Star.

Belle Vue is a case in point. As you stated, unless fans actually go into the shop they won't see it. And, on Monday nights, it is generally past its sell by date. Have previously said, sales of SS at tracks used to be measured in their thousands. Not any more. And with the lack of regular, weekly, meetings track sales have been decimated.

14 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU are right. In years gone by Speedway Star was sold at all the tracks, generally by people like Eddie Toogood (Eastbourne, Hackney, Wimbledon), Kojak (Oxford), Dave Rattenbery. Mick Gregory and others who walked round the various stadiums. More recently many resorted to setting up general merchandise stalls, etc and fans have to make a conscious effort to buy the Star.

Belle Vue is a case in point. As you stated, unless fans actually go into the shop they won't see it. And, on Monday nights, it is generally past its sell by date. Have previously said, sales of SS at tracks used to be measured in their thousands. Not any more. And with the lack of regular, weekly, meetings track sales have been decimated.

Remember 'Kojak' at Cowley...a real character and would wind up the crowd!

18 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Something not quite right about having all the match details, apart from winning times, and no match report linked to them. For instance, just trying to find why last week's Wolverhampton match was abandoned after two heats. It's probably in the magazine somewhere, but I lost heart trying to find why. I like some of the new format - the cover is impressive - but when you have to look on the internet to find why Wolves was abandoned, that tells me the Star is failing in its duty. Of course, I don't know the ins and outs why things have been cut, possibly costs, but historians need as much information when they look at old magazines. And, for me, buying the Star nowadays is mainly for reference, like match reports etc, something to call back on in future days. If it exists on the internet anyway, some may as well save their three quid. Doesn't make sense. But what do I know? 

Interesting comment but how can they be valid when you are here on the net with the answers to your Wolves question only a few clicks away? Both Updates and BSF clearly spell out the reason for the abandonment, don't tell me you'd rather wait 4 days to find out. Seems to me Philip Rising is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, it's a good job he still cares.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Interesting comment but how can they be valid when you are here on the net with the answers to your Wolves question only a few clicks away? Both Updates and BSF clearly spell out the reason for the abandonment, don't tell me you'd rather wait 4 days to find out. Seems to me Philip Rising is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, it's a good job he still cares.

Reading this week's copy (and it is a daft thing to say) but the SS seem to have gone for a 'magazine type format' rather than be a provider of all statistical meeting information...

All this info, as you say, is already 'out there' so the SS seems to have gone for a more generic approach with more 'stories' filling the pages. ..

I like the in depth coverage of one meeting a week as it covers a lot more background info than just the meeting itself, and includes a couple of interviews with riders pertaining to that match, which is similar to the way TV does interviews afterwards..

Who beat who last Thursday was known last Thursday, with all finite details on various websites, so no real need to go into it again. Especially when space can be saved for more overall coverage and reporting where stories can be explored a bit more in depth, which should provide more interest..

Josh Bates' interview a great example of exploring his interesting struggle to ride again...

On heat times, for me I don't care but for some they obviously do, so its good to see Phil take on board this feedback, because as everyone in business knows,  if you don't listen to your customers you will struggle..

Something others within the Speedway world maybe should consider and do more of...?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

What an idiotic comment. If we had the same views like that, why bother buying Speedway Star in the first place? Last year, I could have found instantly in the mag why the match was abandoned, now I can't... unless I crank up the internet. The mag is supposed to offer us, the buyers, all the information at our fingertips. As I have said, I keep my copies for reference. So now the mag doesn't offer match reports, race times or why matches are abandoned, but it's alright with some... because it's on the Internet and the Star is out of date anyway.

Meanwhile, in the same mag, I can find out what celebrity I've never heard of actually quite likes speedway. If I was that bothered, a few clicks and I could have found out who they were.

Philip Rising, I think your dead horse has been flogged to its current state. With views like this, even cutting match reports may not save it. Damned if you do.... 

Edited by moxey63

44 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

What an idiotic comment. If we had the same views like that, why bother buying Speedway Star in the first place? Last year, I could have found instantly in the mag why the match was abandoned, now I can't... unless I crank up the internet. The mag is supposed to offer us, the buyers, all the information at our fingertips. As I have said, I keep my copies for reference. So now the mag doesn't offer match reports, race times or why matches are abandoned, but it's alright with some... because it's on the Internet and the Star is out of date anyway.

Meanwhile, in the same mag, I can find out what celebrity I've never heard of actually quite likes speedway. If I was that bothered, a few clicks and I could have found out who they were.

Philip Rising, I think your dead horse has been flogged to its current state. With views like this, even cutting match reports may not save it. Damned if you do.... 

But it does clearly state why the match was abandoned, at the bottom of page 11.

4 minutes ago, david_rowe said:

But it does clearly state why the match was abandoned, at the bottom of page 11.

When the match details are on page 13? I know it's being picky, but even if there was a line underneath giving the reason why. I mean, David, you did the report, so you knew why the match was abandoned (and on what page it was on).

16 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

When the match details are on page 13? I know it's being picky, but even if there was a line underneath giving the reason why. I mean, David, you did the report, so you knew why the match was abandoned (and on what page it was on).

You're clearly quite bitter about something...............

20 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

You're clearly quite bitter about something...............

Very. Having to pay to get is the biggest one. :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Very. Having to pay to get is the biggest one. :rolleyes:

Bore-alert!