British Speedway Forum

Speedway Star in the winter

Could i ask why are there no race times included in the racing record section this year and it just doesn't look the same. we need our race times back please. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Martins said:

Could i ask why are there no race times included in the racing record section this year and it just doesn't look the same. we need our race times back please. 

I suspect this is because the heat details and score charts are taken from the referee's "programme".

Refs complete their programme on a computer.

They have not, for many years, recorded the times.

The times were included by SS match reporters, who would hear them announced.

The timing of races is purely optional, I am told, with clubs choosing to do it just because it has always been done.

Nothing in regulations to demand timings.

Two things for me, as a saddo the race times I find I interesting and important. And them not being included just seems lazy, and makes the results section of the SS a week old page on teletext.

The 2nd point for me is, if I had any interest in Grasstrack, Ice Speedway , or Flat Track I would seek out a publication featuring them. I dont buy a speedway mag to read about sports I have no interest in at all.

But how accurate are the race times?

All depends on how fast person clicks when the tapes go up and when they judge the front wheel crosses line. Inexact science.

Transponders: Now you're talking -- I think that is a great addition to the GP and would like to see in at professional level in British speedway.

• Like 1

Never understand why heat times are part of any meeting, after all a wins a win no matter how fast or slow. Its something I dont fill in in my programme.

If people can’t afford £2 odd a week to read about the sport they love, then it’s a poor show. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, screm said:

Never understand why heat times are part of any meeting, after all a wins a win no matter how fast or slow. Its something I dont fill in in my programme.

Heat times were an integral part of the sport from the beginning. Attempts at lap records. And I think there were various records, flying start, one lap etc all I think before team meetings got going

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

But how accurate are the race times?

All depends on how fast person clicks when the tapes go up and when they judge the front wheel crosses line. Inexact science.

Transponders: Now you're talking -- I think that is a great addition to the GP and would like to see in at professional level in British speedway.

Think we all accept until transponders are used race times are flawed,BUT it doesn't stop us sadder fans getting hours of enjoyment from them.

11 hours ago, iris123 said:

Heat times were an integral part of the sport from the beginning. Attempts at lap records. And I think there were various records, flying start, one lap etc all I think before team meetings got going

And maybe could be used again to add a bit of extra to the overall nights entertainment?

Each rider does a lap from the tapes, with the winner getting some kind of reward, tyres, oil, or cash?

14 riders, randomly drawn, can anticipate starts, push tapes etc to seek to gain an advantage, centre green presenter commentates and encourages crowd to cheer the riders on around the lap,  maybe giving a time update at the half way stage so as they enter the final turns you start to build some crowd participation and enthusiasm.

Maybe get the fans to text in their prediction for who wins and those who pick correctly get entered into a draw to win a prize themselves. Centre green visit, pit access, photo with winner, or cash etc etc 

Would possibly get people there earlier too so concessions would pick up a few extra quid...

14 riders, one lap, would take about ten mins so plenty of time to regrade the track before the meeting.

As I say, it would serve up a little bit more entertainment before what could be advertised as the 'Main Event'...

(Always good to add a bit of hype)!

Edited by mikebv

This weeks bumper issue, once again excellent quality and quantity, well done to everyone at Speedway Star.

On 4/6/2019 at 7:59 AM, screm said:

This weeks bumper issue, once again excellent quality and quantity, well done to everyone at Speedway Star.

I agree absolutely it is so comprehensive.

It covers every minute detail on each UK club and also covers fixtures for pretty much the entire world of speedway.

Which only highlights the poor nature of this year's racing record section. The part that records what actually happened at meetings that week. It is pants.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Thanks 1

If race times are so unimportant to Speedway Star, why did it include track records in the excellent pre-season edition? Old habits die hard, and for me it doesn't seem right, snubbing match reports and race times. It is a statistic-based sport. Not including match reports for domestic matches is a poor decision, especially when there'll possibly be pages on the GPs when they come around.  

Think of how much space could be gained ( and production costs lowered ) if only the match scores were listed. Heat details will be next to slip away in 2020 no doubt.

49 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Think of how much space could be gained ( and production costs lowered ) if only the match scores were listed. Heat details will be next to slip away in 2020 no doubt.

THAT won't happen. Have already explained why editorial with scorers and heat details has been dispensed with and incorporated elsewhere. These are tough times and we are adamant that we will not further increase the cover price. But printing, paper and distribution costs have increased, retail outlets want a bigger percentage of the cover price (affects all publications), while at the same time track sales have virtually disappeared (lack of regular fixtures) and general sales have plummeted along with falling attendances across the board in the UK. 

We actually had a long debate about the 'Big Issue" which is, after all, two magazines in one but for the normal price. We felt that given the various options of lowering costs, we had to continue with an annual edition that provided fans with just about every bit of information they would require despite all the inherent costs ... twice the normal printing bill, additional distribution expense including extra postal charges for the sub copies. 

We are determined to continue to produce a high quality, value for money, weekly magazine and will do so.

And, incidentally, why would production costs be lowered if heat details were not included?

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

And, incidentally, why would production costs be lowered if heat details were not included?

I genuinely thank you for your lengthy and informative reply. That is most welcome. The disappearance of heat times is not so easy to clear up or understand as it is another facet of speedway that we should polish and hold up, as speed, thrills and on track excitement is a multi-faceted entertainment we should be putting before younger fans in an attempt to pull them in en masse.

By leaving out heat details the SS could shrink further with fewer pages and mean less to existing hardcore supporters ( and purchasers of which I am an enthusiastic one ). By the way, The Big Issue is excellent.

Edited by waytogo28
additional point made