British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

NL AGM 2018

Very sad to see Buxton go. 

It’s effectively a 38 point limit, with the newbies now coming in on a 2.00. I can see a few top end riders like Kemp & Bacon doing the upper leagues only. 

• Like 2

Looks more like a plan to go back to its roots.

eg teams with one high average rider and the rest of a lesser level who are hoping to progress in the sport via track time...

With less 'professional juniors' who never seem to move forward but stagnate and block up team places, quite content with their 'professional speedway rider' ranking...

Just a shame Buxton cannot be there too, as they have done probably more than anyone to develop talent which has progressed to a higher level, leaving them sometimes as whipping boys when up against higher spenders who bring in those 'professional riders' who are happy to be seen as a big fish in a small pond..

Lets hope they get some open meetings as particularly on a nice summers day the place is well worth visiting to spend a couple of hours watching some Speedway..

Presume Sheffield racing on a Sunday now has not helped..?

Edited by mikebv

27 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Very sad to see Buxton go. 

It’s effectively a 38 point limit, with the newbies now coming in on a 2.00. I can see a few top end riders like Kemp & Bacon doing the upper leagues only. 

Its crazy if Kemp is forced out

Yes he is a great talent but he is just 16 with only 1 season NL experience and just 7 CL meetings under his belt

• Like 1

I am praying we are not going to be in this garbage league it will be glorified mdl 5 pound entrance at the very most and that is possibly too much loads of wobblers and strung out heats woeful league ..

• Like 3

Wonder if the no meetings before 1st April rule applies to NL like the other 2 Leagues, If not why not.

I'm very sad to see Buxton leave the league every professional sport needs to provide grass roots access for newcomers and Buxton have consistently maintained this ethos by encouraging youth and sharing the facility for newbie track days. Some of that will no doubt continue but a league profile helps although at what cost? If the top two leagues had merged and CL clubs had "dropped" to the NL there is no doubt other clubs would have had to exit. The win at all costs mentality and some of the absolutely outrageous pay rates in all leagues being discussed right now tell me that after the leanest season in decades the operators and participants of the sport have learned very little, if anything from a horrendous 2018.

Keith Chapman saving the top league has probably prevented Speedway's Armageddon but for how long?

Good luck to everyone at Buxton 

Edited by Byker Biker
  • Like 5

Think things will work out ok in the NL this season and its certainly great to see Cradley back and Mildenhall stay on although i echo everyones best wishes to Buxton.

There is still a place for a few of the big hitters as i can see teams tracking 3 x 2.00 1 x 9/10 still leave 20 points for 4 riders split 6/4 give or take. Will mean that riders have to take the chances and move up rather than sit tight / see out careers in the NL.  Considering the feared numbers im glad the NL looks as strong and providing the right development league riders move up the racing will be continue to be good as like all leagues there is gulfs in class in that too. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, uk_martin said:

You never know your luck. Could even go Premiership lol

No-one has said where Cradley will be riding in 2019. I'm assuming that Monmore Wood/Green still has it's restrictions on how often it can stage speedway?

Could be that Birmingham won't be riding at all, and that Cradley will be riding at Perry Barr, with the expectation that Brummies fans will convert to the Heathens???

NO chance!

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Think things will work out ok in the NL this season and its certainly great to see Cradley back and Mildenhall stay on although i echo everyones best wishes to Buxton.

There is still a place for a few of the big hitters as i can see teams tracking 3 x 2.00 1 x 9/10 still leave 20 points for 4 riders split 6/4 give or take. Will mean that riders have to take the chances and move up rather than sit tight / see out careers in the NL.  Considering the feared numbers im glad the NL looks as strong and providing the right development league riders move up the racing will be continue to be good as like all leagues there is gulfs in class in that too. 

The problem I see S4S is that if teams do track a big hitter he'll be racing around on his own with the others on around a 4.5 average, tho I appreciate there are a lot of permutations to team building. Not sure where teams will find 2 and 3 pointers from either. Maybe they would have been better off running 5 or 6 man teams to keep riders of 6+7 points in a job. The other issue may be that the likes of Gilkes and the Thompsons will end up adding 7 or 8 points to there average and putting themselves out of the reckoning for a NL place the year after. Can't imagine youngsters will want pushing into the Championship after just 1 yrs proper racing experience.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

The problem I see S4S is that if teams do track a big hitter he'll be racing around on his own with the others on around a 4.5 average, tho I appreciate there are a lot of permutations to team building. Not sure where teams will find 2 and 3 pointers from either. Maybe they would have been better off running 5 or 6 man teams to keep riders of 6+7 points in a job. The other issue may be that the likes of Gilkes and the Thompsons will end up adding 7 or 8 points to there average and putting themselves out of the reckoning for a NL place the year after. Can't imagine youngsters will want pushing into the Championship after just 1 yrs proper racing experience.....

The problem is that you could reduce the limit to 22 points, promoters will still track 6 x 2 pointers and one 10. But there are plenty of 2 pointers about including several from this year and a bountiful crop of new riders ready to make the break into their debut year.

The 6-7 point riders i feel sorry for are the ones who just achieved that average, those that have been rattling around that mark for years are just clogging up the league and need to be shipped out as they are not doing anything but taking up team places. 

I agree that there is a very high likelihood of some riders peaking too early and hitting big averages due to the lessened format which should have been looked at (X% reduction end of season due to weakened structure?) but the sport has opened doors in the leagues above so finally the opportunities are there and perhaps some should be grateful as those potential chances were not afforded to many.

• Like 1

Any idea of an approx. cost to run a NL meeting including 14 riders wages, medical etc? Plus % of other costs like shale, fire extinguishers, tapes, chalk, air bags, electric etc...........

Edited by ChrisSimpson

With the standard dropping, the admission price should also drop to reflect this. Otherwise, my fear is, a lot of fans will vote with their feet. The likes of Eastbourne had no choice, but to move up.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

With the standard dropping, the admission price should also drop to reflect this. Otherwise, my fear is, a lot of fans will vote with their feet. The likes of Eastbourne had no choice, but to move up.

Can't argue there but then ive felt the NL prices have been creeping up in some areas too much already. £14 NL , £16 Champ & £18 Prem is too short of a variance for standards on show for many. 

Ive always cared more about the spectacle than the level but there is a reasonable chance i would drive further (and spend more on fuel) to watch Champ level at Eastbourne if the visitors to Kent are poor.

• Like 1

I should like to see thirteen heats again with a second half for youngsters with no lower age limit. 125 and 250 cc races?

• Like 1