British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

NL AGM 2018

2 hours ago, ChrisSimpson said:

Any idea of an approx. cost to run a NL meeting including 14 riders wages, medical etc? Plus % of other costs like shale, fire extinguishers, tapes, chalk, air bags, electric etc...........

Chris, In a NL meeting, the host club only pays for the home riders but obviously has to pay for their away meeting costs out of the income. 

Edited by Great Central

Tbh I am happy they have given Buxton permission to carry on with open meetings.I have been saying on here for years that it should be an option for clubs to keep ticking over.Glad someone has seen sense.Good luck to the club and I hope it helps them remain open and help the development of more British youngsters

Edited by iris123

8 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Think things will work out ok in the NL this season and its certainly great to see Cradley back and Mildenhall stay on although i echo everyones best wishes to Buxton.

There is still a place for a few of the big hitters as i can see teams tracking 3 x 2.00 1 x 9/10 still leave 20 points for 4 riders split 6/4 give or take. Will mean that riders have to take the chances and move up rather than sit tight / see out careers in the NL.  Considering the feared numbers im glad the NL looks as strong and providing the right development league riders move up the racing will be continue to be good as like all leagues there is gulfs in class in that too. 

exactly my point sings it just makes out for strung out races if you can call them races fill your programme before the heat stuff.. 

also you might as well hand  Kent the trophy now be surprised if they lose a meeting all season if there reserves stay fit until the first set of averages come out in whole its a pretty pointless league tbh just hope were not in it.. By the way Kent fans im not saying you have done anything wrong and fair play to yous but we all know your starting reserve pair on a combined 5.5 average will end up been around the 15 mark..

So the Thompson Twins come in on a total assessed average of 4.00. That leaves the Leicester Moggies to sign up the remaining 5 with 32 points to play with. That averages out at over 6 points a rider, or 2 x 9 point riders, 2 x 6 point riders and another 2.00 newcomer. Might as well hand the league trophy over to them straight away.

Any news on which track Cradley will be riding their home fixtures?

Shall we start a sweepstakes on how many league fixtures Stoke will have outstanding when cut-off date arrives?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Its crazy if Kemp is forced out

Yes he is a great talent but he is just 16 with only 1 season NL experience and just 7 CL meetings under his belt

Totally agree. But Mildenhall have already said he won’t be back (likewise Kinsley). 

6 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Totally agree. But Mildenhall have already said he won’t be back (likewise Kinsley). 

That's what 36 point's does, even matching 38 like the championship and 2 point newbies would have made the league work well as a development league, the word  being development even at Kemp's level, although keeping 39 would have been even better.The power's to be have never learnt in any league in any decade that a too low points limit  never works, and will drive  more fans away.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, iris123 said:

Tbh I am happy they have given Buxton permission to carry on with open meetings.I have been saying on here for years that it should be an option for clubs to keep ticking over.Glad someone has seen sense.Good luck to the club and I hope it helps them remain open and help the development of more British youngsters

Totally agree with you. Hopefully Buxton can announce their fixtures fairly soon in the year so people can plan a weekend in the Peaks and a visit to Buxton.

Be great if they got a "shared" meeting and fans turned out in numbers. I know they would have to share the revenue with everyone else but if we all went and bought £5 of raffle tickets, it would be a huge boost to Buxton.

Speedway fans should adopt Buxton as their second team. I will, for one. See you in the summer.

Just one thing, Jayne Moss: turn the heaters on please :)

Edited by Richard Weston
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gazzac said:

That's what 36 point's does, even matching 38 like the championship and 2 point newbies would have made the league work well as a development league, the word  being development even at Kemp's level, although keeping 39 would have been even better.The power's to be have never learnt in any league in any decade that a too low points limit  never works, and will drive  more fans away.

Completely agree :approve:

Personally, I can understand why any league would reduce its points limits if clubs were making substantial financial losses or there was an increase in the number of teams. Here, though, to my knowledge only one of the existing teams might be losing money badly and the league is now smaller than before. Given that last season there was a strong movement to increase the points limit (with 10 teams competing) it is most difficult to appreciate why they have chosen to use 36 for 2019. 

The 36 only becomes 38 for all clubs if 16 2.00point riders are available. They're not, and this only gives more of an advantage to those who are able to pick up one of the more talented youngsters available on that average. 

People won't be fooled into paying last years prices for a weakened league without many of its top stars, forced up because they cannot be accommodated.

In 2018, the NL managed to combine the successful development of some of most capable young riders with accommodating some of the league's crowd pullers - the Roynon's, Morley's and Ayres'. For me, it worked extremely well and I just can't see why that has been changed. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 4

I have always inwardly scoffed at the people who claim NL to be a ten quid league. With the weakening of the standard for 2 successive seasons the price point really has to be lowered significantly too.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

exactly my point sings it just makes out for strung out races if you can call them races fill your programme before the heat stuff.. 

Just goes to show that sometimes even the "brighter NL promoters" make a mess of it. The limit has been set to encourage new blood and promote closer standard throughout the sides then they all sneak off and sign one big hitter. I don't like restrictions of any point and upper average limits don't really work BUT if promotions realised that signing balanced sides throughout the league would create a better and more sustainable product over all thing can start to make positive steps forward.

• Like 3

I dont really understand this lowering points to let talent through it seems a load of nonsense to me as long as the points limit is not ridiculously high.If the points limit was say 42.5in the NL do you think kent would not of signed dan gilkes or the thompson twins going to leicester ??? Do me a favour talent will always find its way through..  the low ponits limit just means we have to watch the likes of ryan mcdonald,jamie laker,aaron butcher ,kiearon douglas and joe alcock trail round half a lap behind everybody else ...all a low point limit does is cut out a young decent rider who  has done well and make you select a rider who is useless but for some reason the future utter joke.

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

I dont really understand this lowering points to let talent through it seems a load of nonsense to me as long as the points limit is not ridiculously high.If the points limit was say 42.5in the NL do you think kent would not of signed dan gilkes or the thompson twins going to leicester ??? Do me a favour talent will always find its way through..  the low ponits limit just means we have to watch the likes of ryan mcdonald,jamie laker,aaron butcher ,kiearon douglas and joe alcock trail round half a lap behind everybody else ...all a low point limit does is cut out a young decent rider who  has done well and make you select a rider who is useless but for some reason the future utter joke.

Not going to disagree with the majority of the above. Ive always been a believer that when you are good enough thats when you deserve a place, not when you are X age or your average saves points for others. I have to admit the 2.00 seems a mistake as it will just encourage the signature of more riders at this level and whilst there are some who are ready, some who are close and would have been over looked there are always going to be several that never will be (although in fairness to the named riders they all got chances on 3.00's).

My personal hope is that the non movers from the league are the ones who fail to get places, those who have not really moved on in the past 5 years but still hold down places that would be better value for others. 

If kent do ride on the same night as Eastbourne, next season could see me drastically reduce the amount of meetings i attend at Central Park.

19 hours ago, orchardlane said:

WHAT??????

Really!!!!

Edited by *JJ