British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

NL AGM 2018

Are we all sure the NL promoters set the points limit for the National League?

You would think so.

However, I have an uneasy feeling that the points figure is dictated by those in the higher leagues.

Can anyone confirm that theory or blow it out of the water.

None of us will ever know what went on at the AGM and who decided on the points limit. My guess is that it was not the NL promoters

who made it unless it was swayed by the "new " clubs like Leicester ? I do not see the point in  giving the lowest riders a 2 point average instead of 3.

Anyone who can actually slide a bike can get a team place anyway.  Still, won't make a lot of difference, the new stars will emerge as always and

thanks to the Youth Programme a steady, if small, stream is emerging.  I love to study their progress.

I see Jack Smith has been told he doesn't have a place at the Colts - he says (and I don't doubt him) that it is because of the points limit.

A young, talented, developing rider who also happens to be an attraction denied a team place. Bloody ridiculous :angry:

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I see Jack Smith has been told he doesn't have a place at the Colts - he says (and I don't doubt him) that it is because of the points limit.

A young, talented, developing rider who also happens to be an attraction denied a team place. Bloody ridiculous :angry:

Lemmings jumping off a cliff springs to mind.

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

it was s jumping off a cliff springs to mind.

My problem is that I just don't understand why. There was some major imbalances in the teams in the NL last season but it was still a good product and, financially, in much better shape than the other leagues. 

Why change that ? 

Hope Jack can find a team place somewhere . If bv signed 2 2 pointers would he still have a spot ?   If the limit was 38 n they signed 2 3 pointers would he still be in the same predicament?  

As most teams last season had 2 three pointers at reserve, dropping the minimum average to two effectively makes the limit 38 so not a lot of difference. Guess it depends on the average given to those who were three pointers in 2018.

Apologies  if anyone has alreadymade this point.

49 minutes ago, raddog said:

Hope Jack can find a team place somewhere . If bv signed 2 2 pointers would he still have a spot ?   If the limit was 38 n they signed 2 3 pointers would he still be in the same predicament?  

He rode in all three leagues last season. He shouldn't have any difficulty in finding a Championship place; in any case, it is time that he left the NL behind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alkadera said:

As most teams last season had 2 three pointers at reserve, dropping the minimum average to two effectively makes the limit 38 so not a lot of difference. Guess it depends on the average given to those who were three pointers in 2018.

Apologies  if anyone has alreadymade this point.

Does anyone know what average the likes of Leek, Sealey, Alcock, O'Keefe and Dicken start on for 2019. As far as I know all started 2018 on a 3 average and ended on 3 but completed quite a few meetings. Surely someone in authority can work out a proper average for them . For example Leek probably averaged over 2 last year, if he did and achieved 2.4, why not start him on that average. Seems the fairest way IMO.

Edited by iand
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, iand said:

Does anyone know what average the likes of Leek, Sealey, Alcock, O'Keefe and Dicken start on for 2019. As far as I know all started 2018 on a 3 average and ended on 3 but completed quite a few meetings. Surely someone in authority can work out a proper average for them . For example Leek probably averaged over 2 last year, if he did and achieved 2.4, why not start him on that average. Seems the fairest way IMO.

leek 2.8 allcock 3. okeefe 2.8 dicken 2.33

36 minutes ago, iand said:

This might help. Just search the relevant team.

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/plymouth18

6 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I equally don’t doubt that it’s because of the points limit but surely someone seemingly as important to Belle Vue’s long-term future as Smith can still be fitted in regardless? Plan the team around Smith, Bickley, both Woodhull’s if they want it and potentially Lawlor and see what’s left. These are the riders who genuinely might ride for the Aces and are all young and improving so will make a decent side anyway!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raddog said:

leek 2.8 allcock 3. okeefe 2.8 dicken 2.33

Seems a fair way of doing things. Sure the teams with the super 2 pointers will do well next year . 

Smith is not BV asset, so why train up a rider for another club,  and maybe he was to expensive 

8 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

My problem is that I just don't understand why. There was some major imbalances in the teams in the NL last season but it was still a good product and, financially, in much better shape than the other leagues. 

Why change that ? 

So they can staff the top 2 leagues and fingers to the NL, the first serious attempt was to try and stop NL clubs having their own assets on the basis that these youngsters would like to progress and inevitably ride in the higher leagues, paying a fixed formula training fee to NL clubs was a compromise until some "development payments" were made to some NL clubs before some of these kids had turned a wheel. The senior clubs were investing in an "option" to secure the youngster in the fullness of time.