British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

NL AGM 2018

14 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

So they can staff the top 2 leagues 

I am not certain why that requires the NL points limit to be set at such a low level.  There are few fans of runaway doubling up, but in the case of a young rider using the Championship for experience and the NL for confidence there is likely to be much less objection - as far as I am concerned that is what doubling up is for, not so that riders can make more money from the sport. 

I'd point out that Sheffield - with a BSPA committee member in charge - prefer to use an Australian and an American than a British youngster, so any suggestion that this for the good of British Speedway and its future prospects is compromised at best. 

The other thing is that the Championship has a notorious record of dumping young British riders when they don't score points (to be fair, that has been less prevalent more recently). Thrown out of the Championship because of poor scoring and unable to ride in the NL because of their average, they'd be frozen out completely. 

Jack Smith has already been told he has no place at Belle Vue. Its been stated that Ryan Kinsley and Drew Kemp won't be at Mildenhall, and with their averages they will be lucky to get in anywhere else.  That's three promising young riders who, effectively, have been denied places in our development league. Bloody ridiculous :angry:

I think the worst of it, though, is that it is entirely possible that this isn't the work of the NL clubs themselves (Last season there was a serious attempt to get the points limit to 40 or even 42, so I fail to appreciate why this year they would want  36). Desperate to make their product attractive enough so that they can pull in attendances to meet their expenses, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they had been forced to accept a situation that stands every chance of making their precarious existence all the more difficult by unnamed outsiders - because you can bet your bottom dollar that no-one will take responsibility for this - with absolutely no stake in the NL whatsoever :angry:

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 4

Have Sheffields decision to move to sundays been the final nail in Buxtons coffin. Due to the close proximity of both tracks, did Buxton have a say in this.

5 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Have Sheffields decision to move to sundays been the final nail in Buxtons coffin. Due to the close proximity of both tracks, did Buxton have a say in this.

Jayne Moss does mention it as a factor.

28 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I think the decision was made several month a ago, long before any consideration of 2019 race days.

6 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

I am not certain why that requires the NL points limit to be set at such a low level.  There are few fans of runaway doubling up, but in the case of a young rider using the Championship for experience and the NL for confidence there is likely to be much less objection - as far as I am concerned that is what doubling up is for, not so that riders can make more money from the sport. 

I'd point out that Sheffield - with a BSPA committee member in charge - prefer to use an Australian and an American than a British youngster, so any suggestion that this for the good of British Speedway and its future prospects is compromised at best. 

The other thing is that the Championship has a notorious record of dumping young British riders when they don't score points (to be fair, that has been less prevalent more recently). Thrown out of the Championship because of poor scoring and unable to ride in the NL because of their average, they'd be frozen out completely. 

Jack Smith has already been told he has no place at Belle Vue. Its been stated that Ryan Kinsley and Drew Kemp won't be at Mildenhall, and with their averages they will be lucky to get in anywhere else.  That's three promising young riders who, effectively, have been denied places in our development league. Bloody ridiculous :angry:

I think the worst of it, though, is that it is entirely possible that this isn't the work of the NL clubs themselves (Last season there was a serious attempt to get the points limit to 40 or even 42, so I fail to appreciate why this year they would want  36). Desperate to make their product attractive enough so that they can pull in attendances to meet their expenses, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they had been forced to accept a situation that stands every chance of making their precarious existence all the more difficult by unnamed outsiders - because you can bet your bottom dollar that no-one will take responsibility for this - with absolutely no stake in the NL whatsoever :angry:

If you look at the medium term plan to increase the conversion rates and the natural aspirations of riders to move up creating a situation where there is no safe haven (not a good choice of words) in the NL then the reliance on overseas riders will diminish. It's not my plan but it has been mooted before when the then PL was the well paid hiding place for many riders capable of doing a job in the then EL. The compromise then was to protect their PL averages for 2 years so that if they didn't make it at the higher level they could resume where they left off in the lower league. That didn't work either and it gave some riders a taste of big money which escalated their demands to come back in the lower league.

What you have to remember with the BSPA is that the Architects are rarely the Labourers 

Edited by Byker Biker

18 hours ago, screm said:

Stoke start their team off with Tom Perry

Tom did a good job for the Colts last year.

with his job working in a bank, a Saturday home club will suit logistically 

Best of luck Tom... you are a gentleman

Edited by Gunner85
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, Byker Biker said:

If you look at the medium term plan to increase the conversion rates and the natural aspirations of riders to move up creating a situation where there is no safe haven (not a good choice of words) in the NL then the reliance on overseas riders will diminish. It's not my plan but it has been mooted before when the then PL was the well paid hiding place for many riders capable of doing a job in the then EL. The compromise then was to protect their PL averages for 2 years so that if they didn't make it at the higher level they could resume where they left off in the lower league. That didn't work either and it gave some riders a taste of big money which escalated their demands to come back in the lower league.

What you have to remember with the BSPA is that the Architects are rarely the Labourers 

The way I see it :

There's no guarantee that the riders ditched due to the points limit will be those who have accepted that the NL is their level;

There's every possibility that some of our most talented youngsters will not get a place in the NL because of their average;

There's every possibility that those youngsters confidence will be damaged by riding in the Championship and they will be dropped, then having nowhere to go;

Attendances will almost certainly fall as paying spectators simply refuse to accept a weakened product; 

Sponsorship falls as a result;

The backbone of the NL - the stand alone clubs - existence is placed in jeopardy.

In my opinion, this is a disastrous decision that could have profound consequences for both the NL and the development of British Speedway.

Your last point is the one that sticks in my craw the most. It is quite appalling - if it is the case - that the NL clubs needs and wishes are simply disregarded and they are forced to adhere to rules that run a significant risk of damaging their businesses at the behest of others who have no financial stake in the league whatsoever. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger

2 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

The way I see it :

There's no guarantee that the riders ditched due to the points limit will be those who have accepted that the NL is their level;

There's every possibility that some of our most talented youngsters will not get a place in the NL because of their average;

There's every possibility that those youngsters confidence will be damaged by riding in the Championship and they will be dropped, then having nowhere to go;

Attendances will almost certainly fall as paying spectators simply refuse to accept a weakened product; 

Sponsorship falls as a result;

The backbone of the NL - the stand alone clubs - existence is placed in jeopardy.

In my opinion, this is a disastrous decision that could have profound consequences for both the NL and the development of British Speedway.

Your last point is the one that sticks in my craw the most. It is quite appalling - if it is the case - that the NL clubs needs and wishes are simply disregarded and they are forced to adhere to rules that run a significant risk of damaging their businesses at the behest of others who have no financial stake in the league whatsoever. 

It's easy for me, the closest we had to sustainable and entertaining Speedway five to ten years ago was the then Premier League now this has changed today to the National League. It can survive without tinkering or surgery but the other leagues clearly can't and to plunder it with lower team building averages and whatever else is to come renders it far too vulnerable for my liking. If it was a true development league it would be sacrosanct .

• Like 1

Simply need more clubs in the NL and considering the dearth of clubs in the south Rye House should be allowed to join.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, GWC said:

Simply need more clubs in the NL and considering the dearth of clubs in the south Rye House should be allowed to join.

While this is a reasonable sentiment, BMR who own Rye House are not flavour of the month with the BSPA so very unlikely to happen sadly as Rye is the only track I can really get to, to watch racing. 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

The way I see it :

Ayres, Wallinger, Coles, Perry, Chessell, Priest, Campos & Halsey all signed. Smith & Lawlor out. 

Its not often I get it right, but I just might have here. 

Chris116

I reside but a few miles from you, and like your goodself am very unhappy to see that Rye aren't racing next season.

With the demise of Lakeside also (although not that much missed as I thought the place was a dump), Eastbourne is now the only viable option for me.

If you are willing to share petrol costs I'm more than willing to pick a few meetings there next season and drive you.

Somehow hopefully we can share e-mail details.

15 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Ayres, Wallinger, Coles, Perry, Chessell, Priest, Campos & Halsey all signed. Smith & Lawlor out. 

Its not often I get it right, but I just might have here. 

Largely agree although in Ayres case he still adds to the Nl plus would be competitive at a higher level had the averages not been fiddled with/2 point rules been brought in. Smith missing out is a loss but he over stretched himself last year and failed to cut it at either higher tier, not to say he couldn't in the future but sadly speedway is as much about timing as it is about ability.

I thought I had read somewhere where certain riders could not get spots because of their average. I was not sure if he/she was surmising that these riders could not get spots because of the reduced team average or because of their own high average but what was posted was that a rider could not ride in the NL if he had achieved a 4+ average in the CL in the past even saying if it was 25 years ago. Was this a wind up post or is it true for 2019?