British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rayleigh

Lakeside and the BSPA

Amazed to read in the Speedway Star today "Lakeside are unable to compete at Rye House with the BSPA said to be in dispute with the former Rockets promotion over their mid-season collapse"

1) Then why did Lakeside have permission to ride there at the end of the season?

2) What is the "dispute" with the former promotion? It is common knowledge that there has been late payers before and to my knowledge it has never resulted in this action.

3) What has the dispute go to do with Lakeside?

Edited by Rayleigh

Lakeside were probably only allowed to use Rye to ensure they completed their fixtures. As for BMR and the BSPA, it's obvious there were financial problems last season. Only the powers that be know the real reasons why the Rye promotion have been shown the door.

I still fail to see the logic applied by the BSPA in making Lakeside race ALL their outstanding fixtures at Rye House rather than only those they were unable to stage at Arena.

53 minutes ago, TonyE said:

I still fail to see the logic applied by the BSPA in making Lakeside race ALL their outstanding fixtures at Rye House rather than only those they were unable to stage at Arena.

Logic and the BSPA don't really go together.

Jon Cook saying in the speedway star they made a loss of over £9000 for the Peterborough meeting which was restaged and the attendance was 211.

Edited by liam

3 minutes ago, liam said:

Jon Cook saying in the speedway star they made a loss of over £9000 for the Peterborough meeting which was restaged and the attendance was 211.

Ignoring children and assuming a fair chunk of admissions are pensioners that would make break-even attendance of about 900. Factor in extra programme income and that becomes 850 or so, a figure I rarely saw achieved in my travels last season at most CL tracks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

Ignoring children and assuming a fair chunk of admissions are pensioners that would make break-even attendance of about 900. Factor in extra programme income and that becomes 850 or so, a figure I rarely saw achieved in my travels last season at most CL tracks

It cost Workington just over £7000 to try and stage their league meeting with Lakeside, The pulled meeting that never happened but should have; cancelled by the BSPA with the fixture fiasco on a warm sunny summer Friday night, The meeting where Dan Bewley got injured which was abandoned after heat 3; the double header where it binned it down an hour before the meeting that got that one rained off; then the frozen track on the last night of the season abandoned after heat 4. Cash they could ill afford to lose to be fair.

Regards
THJ

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

You are almost on the money Arnie, give or take a few quid. No wonder the NL clubs are uncertain about moving up.

• Like 1

The presenter from the radio interview with Cook last night said the BSPA wouldn’t allow Lakeside to run in the Premiership or Championship at Rye due to the poor facilities. They could have run national league though.

6 hours ago, cityrebel said:

You are almost on the money Arnie, give or take a few quid. No wonder the NL clubs are uncertain about moving up.

'A little bird' (nameless speedway promoter) once told me 800 give or take would represent a break-even ish figure (depending on individual circumstancs) for a 2nd division track; former Premier now Championship League....

11 hours ago, TonyE said:

???. Not quite sure i understand that statement. Surely all the fixtures they raced at Rye House WERE those that they couldn't stage at Arena because it had closed! If they didn't fulfill the full fixture list they could potentially be fined. Workington may have been fined for not completing their fixtures with the last League fixture not reaching a conclusion.

21 minutes ago, leander said:

???. Not quite sure i understand that statement. Surely all the fixtures they raced at Rye House WERE those that they couldn't stage at Arena because it had closed! If they didn't fulfill the full fixture list they could potentially be fined. Workington may have been fined for not completing their fixtures with the last League fixture not reaching a conclusion.

As I understand it, there were, potentially, two dates that we could have run. The problem was that we had two league matches, a Championship Shield and likely Play-Off meetings to fit in.

15 minutes ago, TonyE said:

As I understand it, there were, potentially, two dates that we could have run. The problem was that we had two league matches, a Championship Shield and likely Play-Off meetings to fit in.

That is right Tony, Cook said we had 7 meetings to run and we was offered 2 dates by the landlords at Arena.

18 hours ago, TonyE said:

I see.

On 11/22/2018 at 9:29 PM, cityrebel said:

Lakeside were probably only allowed to use Rye to ensure they completed their fixtures. As for BMR and the BSPA, it's obvious there were financial problems last season. Only the powers that be know the real reasons why the Rye promotion have been shown the door.

I would suspect it's along the lines of the bond, that they are required to post with the BSPA before they run, not being sufficient to cover their outstanding debts (riders wages etc.). The BSPA will have paid the riders the outstanding wages, all be it at the standard league rate. I.e. Not the additional money agreed between Rye House and the individual riders. 

Just a theory.

• Like 3