British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rayleigh

Lakeside and the BSPA

3 hours ago, TonyE said:

No one seems to know the answer unfortunately. Plenty of 'internet warriors' come up with suggestions but it isn't their money at risk. I certainly do not know the solution - Lakeside had Mark sexton as a community officer and I know he specifically tried to get the younger element interested in the sport (school liaison etc) .

The one time Arena Essex as then was, offered free entry (in a meeting against Belle Vue and sponsored by a company), it certainly produced a good crowd. There were certainly first timers there but whether or not they were hooked is another issue.

We are all 'internet warriors' mate, that's what a forum is. Exchanging views, opinions, counter opinions, suggestions, personal anecdotes, testimonies etc etc! 

Edited by Ray Stadia
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

We are all 'internet warriors' mate, that's what a forum is. Exchanging views, opinions, counter opinions, suggestions, personal anecdotes, testimonies etc etc! 

Totally agree, it's all about opinions. As a sport, speedway has so many flaws, so there is always plenty to talk about.

• Like 1

Totally agree - we are all 'internet warrior's and I have no issues with opinions and suggestions. The point I was trying to make was to highlight the fact that it is the promotion that takes the financial risk on new initiatives.

5 hours ago, TonyE said:

Totally agree - we are all 'internet warrior's and I have no issues with opinions and suggestions. The point I was trying to make was to highlight the fact that it is the promotion that takes the financial risk on new initiatives.

With rumours of unpaid riders that go through speedway, I’d say it’s the riders who take financial risks too. 

21 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

With rumours of unpaid riders that go through speedway, I’d say it’s the riders who take financial risks too. 

They all seem to be able to keep on riding though.

40 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Does that mean that it is more of a myth that riders are owed money or that riders have a big enough 'war chest' to fund themselves going forward, when not being paid? 

2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

Does that mean that it is more of a myth that riders are owed money or that riders have a big enough 'war chest' to fund themselves going forward, when not being paid? 

The latter for me.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, Fromafar said:

That is because they face a 28 day ban if they decide not to ride. The promotion should be held accountable & if riders are not being paid then they should have the right, backed by the SCB/BSPA to miss meetings until wages are paid up. the team & promotion suffers with using NL riders.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

That is because they face a 28 day ban if they decide not to ride. The promotion should be held accountable & if riders are not being paid then they should have the right, backed by the SCB/BSPA to miss meetings until wages are paid up. the team & promotion suffers with using NL riders.

Promotions are held accountable, if a rider complains to the BSPA about unpaid wages the BSPA sets a deadline for the payments to be met and if that doesn't happen their licence is pulled effectively shutting them down, its a last resort however, it has happened in the past. (no names no pack drill). I know personally of three sides who delayed (or had problems with) payments and came mightily close to the ultimate sanction being applied just saving themselves by finding the funds to pay the riders at the eleventh hour so to speak.

Regards
THJ.

Pretty sure The captains have to sign the meeting sheet to say that every rider is paid up to date and are happy to ride 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Pretty sure The captains have to sign the meeting sheet to say that every rider is paid up to date and are happy to ride 

Pretty sure they do but why are riders STILL owed thousands from British & foreign clubs. This is NOT ONE MEETING NON PAYMENT so why is it allowed to continue.

It was assumed that a few Workington riders were not paid on time but that was due to minimal home meetings at the start & mid season of which they eventually caught up with much success.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Pretty sure they do but why are riders STILL owed thousands from British & foreign clubs. This is NOT ONE MEETING NON PAYMENT so why is it allowed to continue.

It was assumed that a few Workington riders were not paid on time but that was due to minimal home meetings at the start & mid season of which they eventually caught up with much success.

Its nothing new riders not getting their money on time,whether they get all that is owed to them is a different matter, I know of a rider who only went back to  a club the next season because it was his best chance of getting the money he was owed from previous season,and I’d bet there were a few others in the same boat with various clubs throughout the years.

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

Although the usual intention is to pay regularly, there are times when it is almost impossible, but it is how it is handled that's important. I remember a month of June many years ago, when we did not have any home meetings, but all our away meetings took place. Typical cashflow, as clubs don't have spare cash splashing around that they can use. We talked to the captain, and some affected riders, and it was agreed that we would make payments every month over the rest of the year until we caught up, and some federation agreed fees were then to be paid at the end of the season. That was agreed and implemented, and riders who rode for us that year continued to ride for us the following year. I believe the same approach was adopted at Worky last year and they certainly didn't ride as if they were pissed off for the rest of the season. 

• Like 2