British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rayleigh

Lakeside and the BSPA

2 hours ago, mac101 said:

Pretty sure The captains have to sign the meeting sheet to say that every rider is paid up to date and are happy to ride 

Everybody has to sign in for the referee, ie track curator , track doctor, team managers, machine examiners and team captains. The team captains don't specifically have to confirm the team has been paid but a lot make a comment on the form that there is money otstanding. I have know several team captains to say on the form that monies are outstanding but I have never heard of the BSPA doing anything about it.

However, since the BSPA themselves are often horrendously late paying Team GB riders they are not really in a strong position to take action against anybody else. I personally knew a former Team GB rider who said it cost him £1500 last time he road for his country. 

1 hour ago, topaz325 said:

Who came up with the brilliant fixture list that may have helped this situation though?

I may have been told wrong, but I was told that this year the clubs took it upon themselves to arrange their own fixtures direct with their opponents. Unfortunately in that system the strongest are the most belligerent, and I would imagine that some clubs like Worky lost out, especially when the Friday meeting were wiped out for some and there was no interest/cooperation in arranging replacement dates, leaving them all instead to the usual end of season  mayhem. In the past, fixtures were in the capable hands of Colin Pratt and John Campbell for their respective leagues, and each club could reserve certain attractive fixtures like Good Fridays and some holiday Mondays as well as allowing for known clashes with other events, or no track availability. I know who are the best to arrange the fixtures and it's not the promotions.

• Like 1

Just now, Tsunami said:

I may have been told wrong, but I was told that this year the clubs took it upon themselves to arrange their own fixtures direct with their opponents. Unfortunately in that system the strongest are the most belligerent, and I would imagine that some clubs like Worky lost out, especially when the Friday meeting were wiped out for some and there was no interest/cooperation in arranging replacement dates, leaving them all instead to the usual end of season  mayhem. In the past, fixtures were in the capable hands of Colin Pratt and John Campbell for their respective leagues, and each club could reserve certain attractive fixtures like Good Fridays and some holiday Mondays as well as allowing for known clashes with other events, or no track availability. I know who are the best to arrange the fixtures and it's not the promotions.

Thanks for the reply, it seems the damage was done on the first draft of the fixtures, then after that just got worse...

• Like 1

From the Meeting Certificate:-

We being the TEAM CAPTAINS certify that all monies due to each member of the Team have been paid as per the Riders Agreement except as listed below
Home: Name ............................................................................................ ............................... Signed ....................................................................................... Full Details & Contact No ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Away: Name ...........................................................................................................................Signed ................................................................... ....................

Full Details & Contact No ................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. 

14 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Your not wrong, certainly in the case of the Championship it was in the hands of the BSPA office for a while but they passed it on and arranged a meeting of respective promoters and you all know what followed.

It should be easier in the Premiership this year with just two days to chose from but I dare say someone will make it as difficult as possible.

• Like 2

Just back from the Lakeside fans forum. Well attended. Someone said around 200 there but I didn't count them myself.

The meeting lasted about 1hr 45 min and a lot of detail was given which I am not going to repeat on here. 

Suffice to say there is hope . Lots still to be done but there was an hour long meeting with the developers a week of two back, and the Thurtock Council are tangibly supportive . There are sponsors interested in giving support if things come to fruition and at the moment at least there seem to be funds available to build a basic Leicester style track. 

The council are doing their assessment/planning of sports facilities in a few months and Speedwáy seems to be on the agenda.

The behaviour of the BSPA towards Stuart Douglas has been atrocious, and wrangling are still going on. No criticism was made of Rye House who did there best to help but reading between the lines it seems the BSPA's treatment of them has been abysmal as well. It just seems incredible to me that given the present state of speedway the BSPA are not bending over backwards to keep Speedwáy at that facility instead of obstructing it .

All the riders will be paid by Stuart but it is the BSPA that are preventing it at the moment. 

It seems to me that that, the BSPA continue to believe that it is they , not they riders, nor the fans, that are the most important people in  Speedwáy.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Daytripper said:

Just back from the Lakeside fans forum. Well attended. Someone said around 200 there but I didn't count them myself.

The meeting lasted about 1hr 45 min and a lot of detail was given which I am not going to repeat on here. 

Suffice to say there is hope . Lots still to be done but there was an hour long meeting with the developers a week of two back, and the Thurtock Council are tangibly supportive . There are sponsors interested in giving support if things come to fruition and at the moment at least there seem to be funds available to build a basic Leicester style track. 

The council are doing their assessment/planning of sports facilities in a few months and Speedwáy seems to be on the agenda.

The behaviour of the BSPA towards Stuart Douglas has been atrocious, and wrangling are still going on. No criticism was made of Rye House who did there best to help but reading between the lines it seems the BSPA's treatment of them has been abysmal as well. It just seems incredible to me that given the present state of speedway the BSPA are not bending over backwards to keep Speedwáy at that facility instead of obstructing it .

All the riders will be paid by Stuart but it is the BSPA that are preventing it at the moment. 

It seems to me that that, the BSPA continue to believe that it is they , not they riders, nor the fans, that are the most important people in  Speedwáy.  

How is it that BSPA are preventing Stuart Douglas from making payments to riders? Surely even the mighty BSPA aren't that powerful? 

I hope Lakeside can get something sorted soon and we can see the Hammers back in competitive action in the not too distant future

Edited by Reliant Robin
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 10:23 AM, bigcatdiary said:

Your not wrong, certainly in the case of the Championship it was in the hands of the BSPA office for a while but they passed it on and arranged a meeting of respective promoters and you all know what followed.

It should be easier in the Premiership this year with just two days to chose from but I dare say someone will make it as difficult as possible.

As regards the last line- the someone is already there "Sweden" and Thursday`s. Before anyone says" but we have priority" if anyone thinks that Doyle, Fricke Lambert ete etc will be happy missing a Swedish Thursday league match because they are riding here( for half the money) they they don`t know the modern Speedway rider very well !!!

30 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

As regards the last line- the someone is already there "Sweden" and Thursday`s. Before anyone says" but we have priority" if anyone thinks that Doyle, Fricke Lambert ete etc will be happy missing a Swedish Thursday league match because they are riding here( for half the money) they they don`t know the modern Speedway rider very well !!!

So who gets priority on Thursdays us or Sweden.

6 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

So who gets priority on Thursdays us or Sweden.

Us - but with the Swedish  clubs having up to 5 Thursday meetings(see fixtures on the "Elitserien fixtures" thread in the international section) my point about riders who are doing both leagues will not be happy riding over here and them missing a pay day in Sweden.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/87333-2019-swedish-eliteserien-fixtures/

Edited by racers and royals

52 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

How is it that BSPA are preventing Stuart Douglas from making payments to riders? Surely even the mighty BSPA aren't that powerful? 

I hope Lakeside can get something sorted soon and we can see the Hammers back in competitive action in the not too distant future

they insist that any fines or charges are paid first sod the riders this is what they are all about

re rye that's why they had to close as bmr were happy to settle all debts but the bspa were just interested in fines and snatching

the 50 grand bond when rye could not fullfill their fixtures

• Like 1

could not make it last night but pleased there was a good turn out

if things are that rosy looking then I will back it all the way

waiting for the update of the site

but if I win the euro millions in the meantime I will build me own ( if only)

lets just hope in a couple of years we can all look back and say what was all the fuss COYH.

5 minutes ago, HAMMER180 said:

they insist that any fines or charges are paid first sod the riders this is what they are all about

re rye that's why they had to close as bmr were happy to settle all debts but the bspa were just interested in fines and snatching

the 50 grand bond when rye could not fullfill their fixtures

Fines and charges for what? Late payment of riders? Doesn't ring true to me and sounds like a smoke screen for non payment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Us - but with the Swedish  clubs having up to 5 Thursday meetings(see fixtures on the "Elitserien fixtures" thread in the international section) my point about riders who are doing both leagues will not be happy riding over here and them missing a pay day in Sweden.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/87333-2019-swedish-eliteserien-fixtures/

Then tell them to do one and miss out on 30 British pay days instead

• Like 4

Exactly... if a rider misses a PL fixture because of riding elsewhere they should be let go and no facilty given to the club in the mean time. 

• Like 1