British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2019

3 minutes ago, eaglesno1 said:

Then the 9.58 is multiplied for the Brit reduction by 0.975 so gives 9.34.

Forgot / wasn't sure on the reduction bit. Didn't know if conference league rides were being counted the same as NL or whether there was a time restriction? In all fairness it would actually help if all the rules had been published rather than some of them.

• Like 1

With Workington gone, only 10 league matches at Arlington this year. What a mess this sport has become.

• Like 1

Interesting the BSPA web site lists Eastbourne and Birmingham as being in the Championship on the same day as Workington pull out.

What would a conspiracy theorist make of that?

My view? Someone realised how threadbare both the top two tiers would look and 'arranged' for everything to drop into place so the two new clubs could be listed.

Your guess will be as good as mine as the workings of the BSPA remain much of a mystery to the likes of you and me.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, cityrebel said:

With Workington gone, only 10 league matches at Arlington this year. What a mess this sport has become.

Sooner they do away with the trophy competition and race each team twice home and away, the better.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Interesting the BSPA web site lists Eastbourne and Birmingham as being in the Championship on the same day as Workington pull out.

What would a conspiracy theorist make of that?

My view? Someone realised how threadbare both the top two tiers would look and 'arranged' for everything to drop into place so the two new clubs could be listed.

Your guess will be as good as mine as the workings of the BSPA remain much of a mystery to the likes of you and me.

Workington were removed early morning probably due to the announcement.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:46 PM, cityrebel said:

Well, you’ve got ten more home League meetings than Workington have !!

On 1/14/2019 at 1:46 PM, cityrebel said:

The Championship is on it's arse with 10 home meetings, but the Polish Ekstraliga, the league everybody looks up to, has only 7?

The moral of the story? Make the most of the fixtures you have.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, topsoil said:

The Championship is on it's arse with 10 home meetings, but the Polish Ekstraliga, the league everybody looks up to, has only 7?

The moral of the story? Make the most of the fixtures you have.

Traditionally tracks in this country staged a full season of meetings. My team Wimbledon ran 38 in 1980!. It works for Len Silver at Kent, less isn't always more.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Traditionally tracks in this country staged a full season of meetings. My team Wimbledon ran 38 in 1980!. It works for Len Silver at Kent, less isn't always more.

In an ideal world we would see weekly fixtures, I would like to see a meeting every week as well, but fans in this day and age have proved they are not interested in challenge matches or individual meetings, these meetings just do not pay. So league meetings it has to be and unfortunately the number of teams have diminished. 

Reading article in this week's Speedway Star, it certainly looks like the guys at Arlington mean business on and off the track with a decent looking 1-7, new Sponsors and a Community programme that looks the kind of template a few more Clubs can follow and similar to that done so well by Isle of Wight. It will be interesting to see on and off the track how my Brummies and our old rivals The Eagles fare in moving up, bold decisions by both and fingers crossed both succeed, they deserve too for effort and boldness.

• Like 1

the good news just keeps on coming , jon cook and martin dugard the new 'owners' of arlington   :cheers:

Edited by gee jay

3 hours ago, gee jay said:

the good news just keeps on coming , jon cook and martin dugard the new 'owners' of arlington   :cheers:

Looks like they have plans for motorsport to grow at the stadium.

I hope they can tempt Kevin Coombes back as announcer / presenter.

• Like 2

Just need a few more clubs nearer to them for a bit of local rivalry.

57 minutes ago, GWC said:

Just need a few more clubs nearer to them for a bit of local rivalry.

any chance of the hastings saxons re-appearing . now that's a local derby .

I did have a few concerns about the viability of the speedway team moving up but this explains a lot, Jon Cook and Martin Dugard are not naive are they...