British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2019

Reading the speedway star and I hope it works out. Wonder if Eddie Kennett is still demanding £1500 appearance fee as per Rye House last year . . .

2 hours ago, AlexBrady said:

Reading the speedway star and I hope it works out. Wonder if Eddie Kennett is still demanding £1500 appearance fee as per Rye House last year . . .

Decent drills don't come cheap!

• Haha 3

on  eagles tv i thought jon cook was saying they weren't running second half races this year but on the developement forum it says that reading racers will be running at eastbourne again , which is correct ?

5 hours ago, gee jay said:

on  eagles tv i thought jon cook was saying they weren't running second half races this year but on the developement forum it says that reading racers will be running at eastbourne again , which is correct ?

Both - On the Racers facebook group a few days back they announced they are still riding at Eastbourne but as second halves on the days that the track is running various amateur days.. see text below..

"The stadium will be host to several Sunday amateur meetings and "Powerslide" days - where beginners can hire a bike and be supervised in their first laps of a track - and the Racers matches will take place after these sessions, running 2 matches on each occasion"

Cheers

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Both - On the Racers facebook group a few days back they announced they are still riding at Eastbourne but as second halves on the days that the track is running various amateur days.. see text below..

"The stadium will be host to several Sunday amateur meetings and "Powerslide" days - where beginners can hire a bike and be supervised in their first laps of a track - and the Racers matches will take place after these sessions, running 2 matches on each occasion"

Cheers

thank you doctor . :t:

On 2/16/2019 at 5:57 AM, The Doctor... said:

Cheers

Whilst good news that they are still running i always thought the benefits of running as a 2nd half was to save on track,  referee & medical costs? 

I know Kent had those additional costs to cover last year when running from Iwade and the result is no Kestrels team this season.

Curfews will always be a problem if MDL/SDL/NDL are run after main events. 

I went to Eastbourne 2-3 times last season and they ran youth races before the main meeting and SDL after the main meeting (Reading SDL). It got a bit too much for me.

The racing went on from about 6.30 to 10.15.

I would imagine they not Reading had to pay for Medical cover and Referee so it seems to me that John Cook has decided that he wants to cut costs of Track and Paramedic cover before and after League Racing.

If Reading run there on Sundays they will presumably pay for Paramedic and Referee and one big benefit is any SDL/MDL should get 2 lots of track time racing and practising before the SDL/MDL match and have no curfew issues.

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Curfews will always be a problem if MDL/SDL/NDL are run after main events. 

I went to Eastbourne 2-3 times last season and they ran youth races before the main meeting and SDL after the main meeting (Reading SDL). It got a bit too much for me.

The racing went on from about 6.30 to 10.15.

I would imagine they not Reading had to pay for Medical cover and Referee so it seems to me that John Cook has decided that he wants to cut costs of Track and Paramedic cover before and after League Racing.

If Reading run there on Sundays they will presumably pay for Paramedic and Referee and one big benefit is any SDL/MDL should get 2 lots of track time racing and practising before the SDL/MDL match and have no curfew issues.

The main team paying for the medical cover & referee's are precisely the reason why 2nd halves take place after a meeting even with the risk of curfew being hit. Medical cover is expensive, Referee's are expensive and only willing to officiate over another 6 heats before they classify the event as a double header and demand double the fee. However there will be no saving to the Eastbourne promotion in terms of costs.

If Reading run on Sundays medical, referees and track hire costs will need to be covered with no actual income to offset those outlays. Whilst teaming up with other events is a financially sensible way of reducing the outlays Reading will still be occurring substantial costs (costs quite likely Weymouth couldn't equally afford).  From the releases i have seen its basically Eastbourne joining the ranks of others who care little about the future rider development. 

52 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The main team paying for the medical cover & referee's are precisely the reason why 2nd halves take place after a meeting even with the risk of curfew being hit. Medical cover is expensive, Referee's are expensive and only willing to officiate over another 6 heats before they classify the event as a double header and demand double the fee. However there will be no saving to the Eastbourne promotion in terms of costs.

If Reading run on Sundays medical, referees and track hire costs will need to be covered with no actual income to offset those outlays. Whilst teaming up with other events is a financially sensible way of reducing the outlays Reading will still be occurring substantial costs (costs quite likely Weymouth couldn't equally afford).  From the releases i have seen its basically Eastbourne joining the ranks of others who care little about the future rider development. 

I think your comment about Eastbourne joining the ranks of others who care little about the future of rider development is unfair and inaccurate.

Jon Cook has made the point that the development of junior riders will still be very much part of the ethos of Eastbourne Speedway but it would not be in front of the public at Arlington who will be paying to see professional speedway racing.

Last season, the junior races before the actual NL match could have led to the NL being cancelled had a youngster crashed and needed to go to hospital (the known problem with getting what people call 'county' ambulances to come to a track instantly.

The SDL matches after the NL match were sometimes completed in a hurry with concerns about the curfew -- relating to costs.

Jon Cook's point at the supporters' forum was that he wanted to send fans home excited at having seen heat 15 in which the top two from each side go into battle, and not send them home having see a processional six-heat SDL match.

It was also indicated at the forum that bringing on juniors would be very much part of what the new promotion will do.

3 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I think your comment about Eastbourne joining the ranks of others who care little about the future of rider development is unfair and inaccurate.

Jon Cook has made the point that the development of junior riders will still be very much part of the ethos of Eastbourne Speedway but it would not be in front of the public at Arlington who will be paying to see professional speedway racing.

Last season, the junior races before the actual NL match could have led to the NL being cancelled had a youngster crashed and needed to go to hospital (the known problem with getting what people call 'county' ambulances to come to a track instantly.

The SDL matches after the NL match were sometimes completed in a hurry with concerns about the curfew -- relating to costs.

Jon Cook's point at the supporters' forum was that he wanted to send fans home excited at having seen heat 15 in which the top two from each side go into battle, and not send them home having see a processional six-heat SDL match.

It was also indicated at the forum that bringing on juniors would be very much part of what the new promotion will do.

Im certainly not going to argue against the pre-meeting rides as everyone knows these carry an element of risk, even if its laps completed by a sole mascot.

If those are Jon Cooks views then he is fully entitled to them, however derogatory they are towards the Development league matches. 

I look forward to the further developments regarding exactly how Eastbourne will be bringing riders through? Maybe they will be subsidising the track rents on the training/amateur Sundays or re-building the training track?

Why should any Club in PL or CL subsidise a 3rd Party SDL side?

If they were branded as Eastbourne then yes, but why should they subsidise Reading or Weymouth?

Isn't it right they should pay to use the track?

Eastbourne have picked an all British 1-7 and promoted 2 NL Riders to 6 + 7 and top 2 in NL Riders Championship to 4-5 berths. That's developing British talent! 

They have offered facilities to Reading on a Sunday when Reading and other SDL riders are likely to have far more track time as a result?; and if Martin Dugard is around some expert tuition.

Track time is surely what they want at SDL level not rushing 6 heats at 10pm at night in the freezing cold. 

Got to think too about the track staff at all Speedway venues, most work for nothing.

30 minutes ago, HGould said:

Why should any Club in PL or CL subsidise a 3rd Party SDL side?

If they were branded as Eastbourne then yes, but why should they subsidise Reading or Weymouth?

Isn't it right they should pay to use the track?

Eastbourne have picked an all British 1-7 and promoted 2 NL Riders to 6 + 7 and top 2 in NL Riders Championship to 4-5 berths. That's developing British talent! 

They have offered facilities to Reading on a Sunday when Reading and other SDL riders are likely to have far more track time as a result?; and if Martin Dugard is around some expert tuition.

Track time is surely what they want at SDL level not rushing 6 heats at 10pm at night in the freezing cold. 

Got to think too about the track staff at all Speedway venues, most work for nothing.

The first part of your statement is why the sport has a very limited future, because everyone views it as someone else's responsibility to keep things going.

Why should clubs take an interest whether named as their own junior team or not? Because there will be no riders in the future if attitudes don't change. 

I certainly won't argue either against the sensible choices that Eastbourne have made regarding Uk based riders and riders who have an affinity with fans (thats something the Eagles have always excelled at). 

Providing all the fixtures get completed on Sundays this year and Reading are able to continue into the next then there is no harm done but that still has to occur. Development league riders want track time yes, but also to be treated with a level of respect as they are putting the same levels of dedication in as the professionals are and in many cases more. 

S4S very much respect your views and sentiments, I think we'll have to agree to disagree though about a Club subsidising another that is 100+ miles away. As there are Clubs much closer to Reading that seem to not wish to help.

I do think BSPA have to take accountability here, happy to collect Bond money and presumably sit on it, or may be if they took Loan Fees from some of the displaced Riders they now own and invested that in Junior Development Leagues. 

One issue with SDL/MDL/NDL is they are more "amateur" Leagues now than Development; we certainly had a few 40+ year olds and a wonderful lady rider at Brum last season!  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HGould said:

S4S very much respect your views and sentiments, I think we'll have to agree to disagree though about a Club subsidising another that is 100+ miles away. As there are Clubs much closer to Reading that seem to not wish to help.

I do think BSPA have to take accountability here, happy to collect Bond money and presumably sit on it, or may be if they took Loan Fees from some of the displaced Riders they now own and invested that in Junior Development Leagues. 

One issue with SDL/MDL/NDL is they are more "amateur" Leagues now than Development; we certainly had a few 40+ year olds and a wonderful lady rider at Brum last season!  

Now i certainly agree that the BSPA take very little responsibility in this area and in fact actively work against some of the development league setups. The slide in standard of the leagues has largely coincided with the shrinking of teams. When there was a league of double figure teams and riders actively battling to get team places the standard will obviously be up, some of those who competed last year (age irregardless) were far from the standard that should have been appearing but that is a sad reflection in the number of riders actively interested in the sport these days.

20 hours ago, HGould said:

Who were the 40+ riders? I must have missed that. And why shouldn't women ride?