British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2019

who said there was anything wrong with lady riders?, Rachel improved lots during the season, we had an older chap at a few away matches - will find out the name. Nothing wrong with that either!

• Like 1

As far as i can see there were 4 over 40's in the SDL last season and possibly 1 in the MDL as i never actually know how old Craig Osborne is. 

• Like 1

A bit off topic but I have long been a believer that a "Veterans League" attached in some way to actual matches and a Junior League - so say 2 heats of U16 and 2 heats of veterans with a bonus point - added to aggregate score of those 4 extra heats may be something worth trying in Shield or something similar. Run 1 Junior and 1 Vets Race each - between Heat 6 and 7 and Heat 12 and 13??... aggregate winner of those 4 races gets a Bonus Point in mail League Table

1 hour ago, HGould said:

A bit off topic but I have long been a believer that a "Veterans League" attached in some way to actual matches and a Junior League - so say 2 heats of U16 and 2 heats of veterans with a bonus point - added to aggregate score of those 4 extra heats may be something worth trying in Shield or something similar. Run 1 Junior and 1 Vets Race each - between Heat 6 and 7 and Heat 12 and 13??... aggregate winner of those 4 races gets a Bonus Point in mail League Table

Begs Eastbourne have Gordon Kennett as one of the Vets...told he is still going sideways in style and with great speed at Lydd.

However, would Ledwith be able to double up between the main team and the vets team – if Kent were involved?

• Haha 2

That's probably the first and only time Ledwith and Kennett have been mentioned in the same sentence; in terms of pedigree and ability anyway.

Does seem a strange signing but if your old enough your good enough works both ways I guess.

Would be great to see our Andy and Alan Grahame v Gordon Kennett and Martin Dugard. 

I don't disagree with your logic.

Strangely, I never really rated the Grahames [notwithstanding their averages/titles etc].

However, reading the Phil Chard series on British Finals in the Speedway Star this winter, I pondered long and are whether I had got them totally wrong. 

Suspect I did.

I felt much the same way about Andy Smith but you can't really argue with his record – or the Grahames, for that matter.

The record books show I was wrong,  but that is how I felt at the time.

Richard - I think both Grahame Brothers and Andy Smith and others of that era suffered due to outstanding quality of American and Danish Riders in that era. Alan would have been no 1 in many sides in his pomp but had Penhall; Gundersen; King; Pedersen around him, likewise Andy who would have ridden with Neilsen and others. If either Grahame brother were around now would be no 1 in most sides in PL.

3 hours ago, HGould said:

Richard - I think both Grahame Brothers and Andy Smith and others of that era suffered due to outstanding quality of American and Danish Riders in that era. Alan would have been no 1 in many sides in his pomp but had Penhall; Gundersen; King; Pedersen around him, likewise Andy who would have ridden with Neilsen and others. If either Grahame brother were around now would be no 1 in most sides in PL.

Very good point. So that is why they probably didn't register big time with me

For the record Andy Grahame WAS number one for Birmingham for at least one of the seasons that Hans Nielson rode for us. Something he is still proud about.

I'd also say that Alan Grahame's status at Cradley was legendary despite having multiple world champions as team mates. His partnership with Phil Collins was awesome and they frequently took 5-1s against much more illustrious opponents. 

3 hours ago, guitar_art said:

For the record Andy Grahame WAS number one for Birmingham for at least one of the seasons that Hans Nielson rode for us. Something he is still proud about.

He rode at No 1 after Hans had a bad patch in early 1982, while he was getting used to riding on the Godden.

Nielsen finished top of the Birmingham averages in all three seasons.

I agree that both Alan and Andy Grahame were very classy riders, and they were also fantastic team men. Between 1981 and 1989, there was a Grahame in more than half of the championship-winning sides.

3 hours ago, guitar_art said:

yes he represented Birmingham at BLRC and also Milton Keynes at NLRC

I find it hard to see how Reading running stand alone meetings at Arlington are going to pay their way. Apart from friends and family, who is going to turn up. Kent's attempts to run two SDL meetings at Iwade last year, resulted in poor crowds. The public just wont pay to watch this level of racing.

38 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I find it hard to see how Reading running stand alone meetings at Arlington are going to pay their way. Apart from friends and family, who is going to turn up. Kent's attempts to run two SDL meetings at Iwade last year, resulted in poor crowds. The public just wont pay to watch this level of racing.

I think the fact that Kent charged for the SDL meetings says a fair bit (considering riders at this level are not supposed to be paid points money). Plymouth hosted development only meetings in the past at no charge for entry. Sadly a bit of a gulf in class has crept into the development leagues but that is not to say they are not still important, far too many people believe riders just get on a bike and are an instant winner, learning the highs and lows prior to full league racing is a huge part of development for many riders. 

I suppose in len's defence, he did have staging costs and medical cover to pay for. I don't see how Reading can meet that outlay, unless they have some decent sponsors.

• Like 1