British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2019

Losing Brennan is a big loss especially at home but going into the team proper would be a real challenge for him so maybe  Newman can do his job.

Morley is a slow burn and is probably still only reserve standard at CL level. I’ve yet to see him really attack a race and seems to lack speed when behind.

Wood and Bowtell are great and really deserve encouragement and loyalty as there is potential there.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, cityrebel said:

On the plus side, another home meeting against Leicester to look forward to.

maybe for you as a neutral , my nails are only just growing back after the last time.   :(

5 minutes ago, gee jay said:

maybe for you as a neutral , my nails are only just growing back after the last time.   :(

I missed the last one due to football commitments. I haven't seen the Lions ride at Arlington since 1983!

Have started a thread elsewhere about Matt Ford article in Speedway Star this week "Matt Ford - One League" but in that article he is very complimentary about Eastbourne and what you guys are doing down there.

As we (Brummies) and you moved up together yet we are struggling for Crowds, wondering what the magic formula is as Ford suggests your crowds are much higher than his at Poole??

Is it a Team more balanced to top 3, is it promoting your best 2 NL riders, is it just a novelty factor, or is there something more revolutionary happening down there we could all learn from??  

Just novelty factor crowds definitely lost about 400 from opening night losing at home doesn’t help. I’d say crowds started at 1400 now 1000

1 hour ago, TurnTwo said:

Just novelty factor crowds definitely lost about 400 from opening night losing at home doesn’t help. I’d say crowds started at 1400 now 1000

most clubs would be delighted with 1000 right now, many around the 500 mark.

a lot of families and kids when I was at Arlington on both Opening Night and Good Friday which was great to see.

thought a couple of exciting narrow defeats better than 60+ point wins you were getting in National League?

Edited by HGould

58 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

Sorry but I cannot agree. Its a host of seemingly small things that add up

All British side following on from NL.

Continuity  where possible with the return of Kennett who is still a local lad from an 'Eagles family'  and of course last years two stars Wood and Brennan  

Communication from Ian Jordan through a very good new web site and programme. He also has much to contribute on race nights both on the mike and face to face.

The inclusion of Lakeside riders giving it a bit of a joint feel and I believe several east London supporters.

A team of racers not riders which sometimes is their undoing but makes them very watchable.

I don't think the defeats make any difference they were  just 1 point and unfortunate.  Much better entertainment than the trouncing of  Somerset and Berwick. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hunters said:

Sorry but I cannot agree. Its a host of seemingly small things that add up

All British side following on from NL.

Continuity  where possible with the return of Kennett who is still a local lad from an 'Eagles family'  and of course last years two stars Wood and Brennan  

Communication from Ian Jordan through a very good new web site and programme. He also has much to contribute on race nights both on the mike and face to face.

The inclusion of Lakeside riders giving it a bit of a joint feel and I believe several east London supporters.

A team of racers not riders which sometimes is their undoing but makes them very watchable.

I don't think the defeats make any difference they were  just 1 point and unfortunate.  Much better entertainment than the trouncing of  Somerset and Berwick. 

You pretty much stole my post, almost word for word what I was going to add.

I will add that I belive this was all stared by Martin and Connor and NL. There was a renewed enthusiasm and a new 'feel' to the club and a team winning silverwear rather than being also rans.

Then add to the mix Ian Jordan, Jon Cook, Championshil Speedway and an all british team with the ever populat Georgie and Tom. Mix it all together and you have a pretty good recipe.

Apart for the painful 1point home losses, it all been pretty good apart from Toms injury!!!

Its a very good time to be an Eagles fan at the moment

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, cityrebel said:

On the plus side, another home meeting against Leicester to look forward to.

I agree, a very big ask to win overall, but everthing went Leicester's way last time at Arlington, including Pickering being a fantastic guest, and Richards heat 15 error. I for one am looking forward to it, still not sure when we play the away leg as we have a fixture on Leicester's reserved home date, hope we get the first leg really, will guarentee 15 hard fought heats, rather than perhaps a result one way or another earlier on.

Edited by gazzac

3 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

There was an increase from week 1 to week 2 to Good Friday. The week 1 to week 2 increase was reported at the time. Good Friday - was biggest crowd for a long time. FA Cup clash did knock it back but I would suggest for the Berwick match the crowd was back up there.

7 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Football commitments - that darn F word again.

The problem is, a lot of speedway fans follow both sports. That wouldn't have stopped me attending Arlington tonight.

I hope the rumours about Eastbourne's horrible negative comments about the NL turn out to be just rumour as ive been lining up a couple of trips down to the Sussex track but if it is the case the current promotion will not see one penny from me.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I hope the rumours about Eastbourne's horrible negative comments about the NL turn out to be just rumour as ive been lining up a couple of trips down to the Sussex track but if it is the case the current promotion will not see one penny from me.

Been there 3 times this season and not seen or heard a word of negativity about National League, lets be honest, they have an all British Team with 5 at least starting in what is now known as National League. Great to see an all British Team.

I think what you are referring to is a single and admittedly OTT comment by one of the Promotion (Jon Cook) in the programme on Saturday about 2 riders and "comfort factor" of NL.

2 minutes ago, HGould said:

Been there 3 times this season and not seen or heard a word of negativity about National League, lets be honest, they have an all British Team with 5 at least starting in what is now known as National League. Great to see an all British Team.

I think what you are referring to is a single and admittedly OTT comment by one of the Promotion (Jon Cook) in the programme on Saturday about 2 riders and "comfort factor" of NL.

Having not seen the actual comment the jury is still out however a respected poster reported it as "need to stop playing big fish with amateurs in a league where riders struggle to complete 4 laps".   If those were the words of Jon Cook he can officially go and bang everything he has to do with Speedway where the sun don't shine as far as im concerned as the only thing he will be getting from me from now on is grief....if the comments are in any way accurate if not then i will reconsider.