British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2019

12 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Having not seen the actual comment the jury is still out however a respected poster reported it as "need to stop playing big fish with amateurs in a league where riders struggle to complete 4 laps".   If those were the words of Jon Cook he can officially go and bang everything he has to do with Speedway where the sun don't shine as far as im concerned as the only thing he will be getting from me from now on is grief....if the comments are in any way accurate if not then i will reconsider.

just checked my programme and that was part of a bigger quote Cook made. Seems to be totally against the grain of what everyone and everything else at the Club is trying to do. 

2 minutes ago, HGould said:

just checked my programme and that was part of a bigger quote Cook made. Seems to be totally against the grain of what everyone and everything else at the Club is trying to do. 

Are you able to post the whole quote so i can get context?  Does seem like an absolutely mad comment from a man desperate for success in the first year in the league up. Don't forget where you came from as its quite possible the Eagles could be grovelling back there if they aren't careful.

This is the article...quickly typed so sorry for any typos...personally I think take out the bits in italics (my italics not programmes) and it's "too the point" but not OTT...the bits in italics are OTT imho....for the record both had excellent nights!!!!

"Going forward we are very concerned about the form,particularly away of Ben and George and this needs to improve if either of them are to establish themselves at this level. Whilst the same is also true of Alfie, he has the fire in his belly that all can see and has made the step up without the comfort of NL racing"

"Ben also needs to realise that he has the potential to be a professional speedway rider and that's a very different animal to being a star in a League where half your opponents struggle to stay on, get their bikes to do four laps and in some cases can barely skid a bike. I've seen him have some terrific rides at this and Elite level so the talent is there. I don't think the NL comfort zone is doing him any good"

"As for George this is his third attempt to crack professional racing and with the comfort of doing it at "his" track he should be cracking on now and it's a concern we are only having brief glimpses of his full potential"

"He has incredible financial support from many fans and businesses and that needs  to manifest itself in less engine failures and better preparation. This is his best chance; he must not blow it and he needs to give those backers and you fans value for money; too many excuses can become a default position and he's better than that".

"Speedway riders do their talking on the track with points, not off it with reasons to explain a bad day. Suffice to say we are as a management team in a review position of those two spots so let's hope for an immediate positive reaction tonight"

• Thanks 1

Completely agree that without those comments its a harsh but fair article about 2-3 riders struggling to make the step up in the sport. For the record Morley will but is taking his sweet time about it, Wood needs backers of Bickley's level to sort his kit but is a natural motorcyclist and Bowtell doesn't have the comfort of NL racing because he didn't land a team place.

As for the comments about the NL they are frankly rude and vastly untrue, it does the sport no good to slate itself and there are as many fallers & mechanical issues in higher leagues as low. Jon Cook is welcome to keep away from the NL in my opinion as he made a right fist of it with Lakeside and didn't exactly do wonders at Championship level before burying the club. 

I hope for the supporters he is more successful this time but he won't be getting a pound from my pocket while he is anything to do with the club. 

Edited by Sings4Speedway

Ben Morley has been riding NL speedway for 10 years now if he was going to kick on i think he would of done by now . Georgie has only been riding since 2015 i think so surely comparing them is a little unfair. 

Sings i am afraid you wont like this . NL racing is on the whole is pretty boring far too much difference in rider ability i am afraid . As i have said before you can fill out the programme before you go and be 95% right . Riders like ben,geogre,clegg etc should not be in it now tbh. I would not of gone and payed to watch it tbh this season had we remained in the NL . As for same amount of falls come on there are far more in NL the stoppages in the championship are for crashes because the riders are so close together. fortunately in the NL you just get fallers because because most heats are so  strung out there is never normally another rider anywhere near.

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie
  • Like 1

After praising Jon Cooks' video on the Eagles website a few weeks back, I'm really disappointed by his comments as posted by HGould.

Constructive criticism can be effective, but this is over the top.

For me, Georgie is a natural racer & both he and Ben have the potential which I'm sure they'll achieve.

If anything it's Alfie who I (& others who I attend with) are not so sure about, who at times looks decidedly awkward, yet Cook seems to criticise him less. I think he should be given more time though.

The club are at the level they could realistically expect to be in their first Championship season, with a good crowd & atmosphere. I'm beginning to think Jon Cook doesn't realise how lucky he is.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Completely agree that without those comments its a harsh but fair article about 2-3 riders struggling to make the step up in the sport. For the record Morley will but is taking his sweet time about it, Wood needs backers of Bickley's level to sort his kit but is a natural motorcyclist and Bowtell doesn't have the comfort of NL racing because he didn't land a team place.

As for the comments about the NL they are frankly rude and vastly untrue, it does the sport no good to slate itself and there are as many fallers & mechanical issues in higher leagues as low. Jon Cook is welcome to keep away from the NL in my opinion as he made a right fist of it with Lakeside and didn't exactly do wonders at Championship level before burying the club. 

I hope for the supporters he is more successful this time but he won't be getting a pound from my pocket while he is anything to do with the club. 

Looking at the quote over a few times, it was as you say a harsh but fair point aimed at the rider's mentioned, and a stupid and unnecessary line about the NL standard, which we know over the last 4/5 years hasn't generally been the case. It does look to me it may have been part of the 'rant' to give Wood and Morley a kick up the a***, but in what seems to be his usual way, not well thought out, be nice if he clarified it was that in the next programme but unlikely to happen, especially if he really believes that. I do think him being there is part of the long term project, be a shame if you don't attend whilst he's they're, especially if our ex NL riders do turn it around.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Ben Morley has been riding NL speedway for 10 years now if he was going to kick on i think he would of done by now . Georgie has only been riding since 2015 i think so surely comparing them is a little unfair. 

Sings i am afraid you wont like this . NL racing is on the whole is pretty boring far too much difference in rider ability i am afraid . As i have said before you can fill out the programme before you go and be 95% right . Riders like ben,geogre,clegg etc should not be in it now tbh. I would not of gone and payed to watch it tbh this season had we remained in the NL . As for same amount of falls come on there are far more in NL the stoppages in the championship are for crashes because the riders are so close together. fortunately in the NL you just get fallers because because most heats are so  strung out there is never normally another rider anywhere near.

This might come as a surprise but i agree with you i places. However its not just the NL where the standard is too spread out, the Championship also has 2 point riders out on track with 8/9/10 point averaged riders. The whole system needs a shake up to make an actual race to include all 4 riders and not two races in one. 

Im sure there will be a statto somewhere who can compare number of fallers? Yes there is the element of learning in the NL which can cause crashes by misadventure but that also adds to the unpredictable nature of it and is more entertaining than from the gate racing that can often pepper the updates of the higher leagues. 

My big issue is the slating of the league rather than the riders. A promoter can have his opinion on performances just like any other poster on here but to make broad sweeping unjustified statements is nothing short of Jon Cooks ignorance and rudeness. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

This might come as a surprise but i agree with you i places

Not at all bud i know you have well balanced opinions the majority of the time.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, gazzac said:

Looking at the quote over a few times, it was as you say a harsh but fair point aimed at the rider's mentioned, and a stupid and unnecessary line about the NL standard, which we know over the last 4/5 years hasn't generally been the case. It does look to me it may have been part of the 'rant' to give Wood and Morley a kick up the a***, but in what seems to be his usual way, not well thought out, be nice if he clarified it was that in the next programme but unlikely to happen, especially if he really believes that. I do think him being there is part of the long term project, be a shame if you don't attend whilst he's they're, especially if our ex NL riders do turn it around.

It's a shame Cook has spoilt the very impressive reputation the new Promotion were building with a silly and unnecessary throw away line but that's his style. The project seems to be driven more by the new bloke Jordan, who as someone has pointed out seems very un-speedway like e.g transparent and good in print and on the mike. 

• Like 2

Not sure why anyone would be surprised at this kind of stuff coming out of Mr Cook’s gob. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Not sure why anyone would be surprised at this kind of stuff coming out of Mr Cook’s gob. 

if anyone knew Morleys ability and limitations it should be Cook, had him for years after all at Lakeside. Not sure what his gripe with National League is either he did manage Lakeside in National League didn't he?, must think its beneath him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

A rider failing to bridge the gap between the NL and the Championship (or PL as was) is nothing new. They can be nigh on unbeatable at the lower level yet still struggle when they step up - Barrie Evans and Jay Herne spring to mind. 

Personally speaking, I think your view of the NL is nonsense. The gap between riders in the NL is comparable to the higher leagues and may even be less. Is there anything in the NL that compares to the difference between Craig Cook and Danny Phillips, for example ? How about Jason Doyle and Simon Lambert ? 

As someone who regularly attends the NSS, the Premiership racing there is better than the NL. There is no doubt in my mind about that, but to suggest the NL is 'pretty boring' is rubbish. The meeting with Plymouth, for example, was to use my own words 'splendid'. 

If riders like Morley and Wood can't - or shouldn't - ride in the NL, what happens when Eastbourne drop them - as seems entirely possible ? Cook seems to have his own agenda here - Bowtell has 'fire in his belly' despite the fact that of the three his present average is the lowest and around half of Morley's. I wonder if the comments are motivated by the fact that of the three Bowtell is the only one not riding NL speedway. 

I think what makes me most annoyed is Cook's stupid and entirely inaccurate view of NL - 'where half your opponents struggle to stay on, get their bikes to do four laps and in some cases can barely skid a bike'. That, as anyone who watches the NL speedway regularly, is utterly ridiculous and an unwarranted insult against the riders in that league. Not only that, it has the power to damage the huge effort that NL promotions are making across the country to attract paying spectators and stay in business. They deserve better. 

• Like 4

Cook has always been an unpleasant character.

So it's never surprising whenever it inevitably surfaces in public.

Pity that he is garnering such bad PR for Eastbourne now, though.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Cook has always been an unpleasant character.

So it's never surprising whenever it inevitably surfaces in public.

Pity that he is garnering such bad PR for Eastbourne now, though.

looks like his fellow Director Ian Jordan agrees with you as he posted this on one of many Facebook threads about the Cook article - typically diplomatic of Jordan in fairness to him and rest of Eastbourne Management-:

As my name actually appears on that picture as a Director of Eastbourne Speedway I feel obliged, after a lot of soul searching to comment. The comments made are the personal opinion of the person who has made them and Jon is perfectly entitled to make them as is anyone in a democracy. They are not and should not be taken as anything other than that. As a passionate advocate; supporter, watcher and sponsor of 6 current National League Riders all of whom can slide a speedway bike exceptionally well, I do not personally agree with the comments, in fact having put significant sums of my own money where my mouth is to support NL Riders and an NL now CL Team I think it is patently obvious that I do not agree with them. That does not diminish my respect and support for Jon, as we are all entitled to our opinions, and we all express them in different ways. On the vexed and un-linked situation of National League and Professional and Amateur or "not professional" as the case may be, my interpretation of the situation is this. The word "Development" is as a direct result of the Speedway Authorities desire to keep the current 3rd tier as a League predominantly for riders who are born and brought up in the UK or who have valid UK Passports or parental rights. By using very clearly the word "development" they circumnavigate very complex EU laws which without the word "development" would possibly mean the League being flooded by EU and other nationalities. I look forwards to continuing to support, sponsor and ultimately promote the CL and PL riders of the future in the National League.