British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2019

Whilst very diplomatic and gently throwing Cook under the wheels the fact remains that the comments printed in the Eastbourne programme by a member of the Eastbourne promotion fall back onto Eastbourne Speedway as a whole. If these were spoken comments on the mic after a match they could have easily been brushed aside as heat of the moment but putting into print is a deliberate and considered act. As Director of Eastbourne Speedway it is Ian's job to either proof read content in the programme or charge that to someone suitably PR savvy. Instead the statements are out there, the apologies are not and pitching that Cook is entitled to his opinion isn't really suitable given the scale of the insults dished out.

15 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Cook has always been an unpleasant character.

So it's never surprising whenever it inevitably surfaces in public.

Pity that he is garnering such bad PR for Eastbourne now, though.

I don’t agree that Cook has always been an unpleasant character. In many ways he has a lot of good qualities as a promoter. IMO Jon Cooks “ problem” if I can call it that is that he is not a “people person” ,  and an absolutely hopeless PR man. I do know riders who hold him in high regard as a promoter, but he doesn’t communicate well to the general public. He should be kept in the back office as an organiser, not let out in the spotlight .

• Like 2

Yes, I don't pretend to understand the structure of management operating at Eastbourne.

The demarcation between jobs and functions within the promotion seems somewhat 'opaque' to an outsider. So it is difficult to tell who really pulls the strings.

One thing for certain is that whatever is written in the official programme, and by whoever. It is the licenced promoters who are solely responsible to the SCB if the content breaks the regulations on bringing any part of the sport into disrepute.

That, I assume, would fall at the door of Trevor Geer and Mike Bellarby.

I also have no real understanding or inference to make from the news at Companies House that John Cook resigned from the board of Eastbourne Eagles Ltd on May 28 and the company address shifted too. Suffice to say some sort of 'change' has occurred behind the scenes for sure.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I don’t agree that Cook has always been an unpleasant character. In many ways he has a lot of good qualities as a promoter. IMO Jon Cooks “ problem” if I can call it that is that he is not a “people person” ,  and an absolutely hopeless PR man. I do know riders who hold him in high regard as a promoter, but he doesn’t communicate well to the general public. He should be kept in the back office as an organiser, not let out in the spotlight .

After not agreeing with me ... You seem to move on to then say exactly why his personality/interactions may have caused people to have found him unpleasant.

I find that comforting.

What exactly is Cook's position with Eastbourne?  

He's not a promoter - Mike Bellerby and Trevor Geer are the promoters.

And according to Companies House he resigned as a Director of Eastbourne Eagles Ltd on 28/05/19, and ceased to be a shareholder of the company on the same date.

2 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

What exactly is Cook's position with Eastbourne?  

He's not a promoter - Mike Bellerby and Trevor Geer are the promoters.

And according to Companies House he resigned as a Director of Eastbourne Eagles Ltd on 28/05/19, and ceased to be a shareholder of the company on the same date.

Eastbourne website has him listed as "Head of Speedway Operations".......he is certainly a head that's for sure.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grand Central said:

After not agreeing with me ... You seem to move on to then say exactly why his personality/interactions may have caused people to have found him unpleasant.

I find that comforting.

Not quite sure where you are coming from with this. In any form of business there will be some people who don’t like you, for whatever reason. That is a long way from saying someone is an unpleasant character per se. I know some who find Cook frustrating, others who find him distant at times and some who don’t like him because they don’t agree with him, but you could say that about a lot of people. I have expressed the opinion that Cook is no PR man, as as a promoter he would do,a better job if he was. However for someone who is a genuinely unpleasant character, look towards Scunthorpe.

If Jon Cook wrote a similar piece in a football programme then he and his club would be in serious trouble with the FA on a charge of bringing the sport into disrepute. The BSPA or the SCB should take action to ensure such repugnant comments are not allowed to appear in a programme again. 

• Like 4

Regarding earlier posts, Morley is another Nick Simmons / Barrie Evans type rider . 

13 hours ago, Chris116 said:

If Jon Cook wrote a similar piece in a football programme then he and his club would be in serious trouble with the FA on a charge of bringing the sport into disrepute. The BSPA or the SCB should take action to ensure such repugnant comments are not allowed to appear in a programme again. 

as could be said about the BSPA bring the sport  into disrepute . could not run a bath of watter between them !

3 hours ago, jenga said:

as could be said about the BSPA bring the sport  into disrepute . could not run a bath of watter between them !

If they did it would be cold water! 

7 hours ago, Pinny said:

Regarding earlier posts, Morley is another Nick Simmons / Barrie Evans type rider . 

More often that not Morley will score his average or above at home, away will be a different matter but most fans are only concerned about a team that wins home meetings.

19 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The BSPA or the SCB should take action ..........to ensure such repugnant comments are not allowed to appear in a programme again. 

Ha, ha, ha, we’re still waiting for the outcome of the SCB’s “full investigation” into the calling off of the Eastbourne v Mildenhall National league match last October.

The BSPA have difficulty in creating their own limited company.

Do you really think either organisation are in a position to police what goes into a programme ? 

Hasn't taken long for the sugar to come off the acid drop down at Eastbourne...... Jon Cook is no lover of anything but "top divison racing" a point he made many times until suddenly Lakeside dropped down into the National League !!!!  when it was suddenly the best thing since sliced bread and all his fellow NL promotoers were great friends !  That was pretty much was the end of Lakeside Speedway. They soldiered on... hood winking the fans with tales of a new stadium  for a couple of seasons...... all very unsatisfactory.

Very surprised to read that Cook allegedly  is no longer a promoter or shareholder at Eastbourne ... I thought all the fuss over the close season was about Cook settling outstanding payments incurred whilst part of Lakeside Speedway and regaining his promoters licence ? 

I assume he was part of team selection for 2019 ????? He should know the capabilities of Morley and Bowtell very well. Cook loves Bowtell so he wont be going anywhere.  Both have been riding a fair few years. I havent seen any improvement at Championship level up until last season. I am sure some clever statistician will tell me otherwise.

As for Wood don't know the lad.  National league hopeful thrown in at the deep end in the CL 2019 and Cook wants to out  him after 2 months.

Another great initiative by the Eagles management.

All members of the armed forces admitted for the Leicester Match free as their contribution to Armed Forces Day on Saturday.

The way they have approached things this season they deserve success so lets lay off the Cook baiting please.