British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2019

2 minutes ago, dave1075 said:

Totally agree with mmmmethanol on that score. Ben has been at No 2 all season & scored quite well at Arlington but has struggled away. But this is the case for most No 2’s at every other club in the Championship away from their home track. Ben has not had the luxury of riding down at reserve this season like others have at other clubs & OK Jason is probably worthy of a run in a Championship team, I just hope it doesn’t effect his confidence like others who have tried the step up, only to eventually be dropped and lose interest in riding speedway & calling it a day.

Another thing to note is that with this change being made Georgie will now ride at No 2 meaning only having 4 programmed rides & not a possible 7 rides as he would have at reserve resulting in the possible loss of the big scores he was achieving at Arlington.

Personally I think this change would have been justified if 2 riders  Ben and Kyle as the other had been dropped enabling the Eagles to bring in Jason as a 2 pointer & a potential 7 pointer to be the 4th heat leader. Could have brought in Bradley Wilson Dean if he is fit.

Kyle is averaging 7 isn't he? Deserves a run in their side and done well since Brennan got injured.

Watched Bowtell and Morley at our place twice and at Leicester and Bowtell far better away from home and gather he rode well at Sheffield the other day, Morley is a "0" most matches away.

Most away tracks are bigger so would be daft to leave Morley in side if going to make a change.

Wood is dire away too but far better than Morley at home.  

Makes sense away to me and that's where their problems are.

Edwards needs time but got a cracker for the future there. 

3 minutes ago, HGould said:

Kyle is averaging 7 isn't he? Deserves a run in their side and done well since Brennan got injured.

Watched Bowtell and Morley at our place twice and at Leicester and Bowtell far better away from home and gather he rode well at Sheffield the other day, Morley is a "0" most matches away.

Most away tracks are bigger so would be daft to leave Morley in side if going to make a change.

Wood is dire away too but far better than Morley at home.  

Makes sense away to me and that's where their problems are.

Edwards needs time but got a cracker for the future there. 

For this season the  2019 GSAverages are, Kyle’s is 4.83, Georgie’s is 4.22, Ben’s is 4.07 & Alfie’s is 2.97, Another thing to bear in mind is that Ben also has 19 bonus points this season backing up either Eddie or Richard at No 2. Which converts his AVE to 5.36, where as Kyle’s is 5.50, Georgie’s is 4.65 and Alfie’s is 4.13. 

• Like 1

Problem for Ben is that those big scores were early on...he has struggled home and away recently.

And in fairness to bowtell he has ridden at 3 something which Brennan wood nor Morley have done..and he’s been out at 6 the harder number of the two reserve spots 

• Like 2

Whilst its hard on Ben he is carrying a high average now and really needs to find out how to crack the larger Championship tracks (of which there are many). Alfie is the golden boy but still not convinced this will be the final change as it makes zero sense to replace a 4 point something rider with a 2 pointer unless other changes are afoot. I have a feeling the Hagon influence is starting to kick in and another of the sponsored riders will be joining.  That said good luck to Jason, i think he has the ability to step up but i hope he doesnt mess up his average for next year as he needs to think about his long term progression whilst Eastbourne scrabble to rescue their season.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst its hard on Ben he is carrying a high average now and really needs to find out how to crack the larger Championship tracks (of which there are many). Alfie is the golden boy but still not convinced this will be the final change as it makes zero sense to replace a 4 point something rider with a 2 pointer unless other changes are afoot. I have a feeling the Hagon influence is starting to kick in and another of the sponsored riders will be joining.  That said good luck to Jason, i think he has the ability to step up but i hope he doesnt mess up his average for next year as he needs to think about his long term progression whilst Eastbourne scrabble to rescue their season.

said b4 most sides would love to be in 2 x semi - finals as a way of "rescuing their season", may be us Brummies; Berwick; Edinburgh; Sheffield, Scunthorpe as example. 

my opinion is bringing Edwards in now and managing his average carefully is a way to accommodate Brennan on an inflated average next season as his average went up over 6 just after his crash and Brennan/Edwards in 2020 lot more potential than Wood and Morley. Get Edwards some CL track time now is good logic. 

Must have been a difficult one for Jon Cook (always thought he had a soft spot for Ben) - it was much the same for Ben at Lakeside, probably better in respect of home averages (6.00 excl. BPs and only 3.67 away). Not sure what it is about the bigger tracks though as he rides IoW on a regular basis!

2 minutes ago, HGould said:

said b4 most sides would love to be in 2 x semi - finals as a way of "rescuing their season", may be us Brummies; Berwick; Edinburgh; Sheffield, Scunthorpe as example. 

my opinion is bringing Edwards in now and managing his average carefully is a way to accommodate Brennan on an inflated average next season as his average went up over 6 just after his crash and Brennan/Edwards in 2020 lot more potential than Wood and Morley. Get Edwards some CL track time now is good logic. 

The other argument would be that if a side is in 2 x semi finals with the current side why make changes?

Brennan is likely to feature in the side next season despite his average although there is also a valid case for re-assessment of course providing Tom is fit for next year (fingers crossed he is). 

2 minutes ago, TonyE said:

Must have been a difficult one for Jon Cook (always thought he had a soft spot for Ben) - it was much the same for Ben at Lakeside, probably better in respect of home averages (6.00 excl. BPs and only 3.67 away). Not sure what it is about the bigger tracks though as he rides IoW on a regular basis!

Ben signed for the IOW deliberately to improve upon bigger tracks but unfortunately the slicker nature of it doesn't reflect others in higher leagues, plus he hasn't set it alight on the Island and was being bettered by Bowtell last year & Wood this year. I think a large part of it is that Ben has a brain and to go full bore on the bigger tracks it takes the kind of mind that is a little bit switched off from it. 

My issue with ben are his 2 best tracks rye and lakeside are shut, I think his average to start the yr was 4.83 , he was in a hard place in the side to maintain that but away from home hes been very poor.

Personally I think they will replace newman next esp if they know brennans going to ge guaranteed out for the season which must be highly likely

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The other argument would be that if a side is in 2 x semi finals with the current side why make changes?

Brennan is likely to feature in the side next season despite his average although there is also a valid case for re-assessment of course providing Tom is fit for next year (fingers crossed he is). 

Ben signed for the IOW deliberately to improve upon bigger tracks but unfortunately the slicker nature of it doesn't reflect others in higher leagues, plus he hasn't set it alight on the Island and was being bettered by Bowtell last year & Wood this year. I think a large part of it is that Ben has a brain and to go full bore on the bigger tracks it takes the kind of mind that is a little bit switched off from it. 

also huge ability gap between most in NL and some of the hardened pro's in CL at some of those big Northern tracks! Huge gap!

1 hour ago, HGould said:

also huge ability gap between most in NL and some of the hardened pro's in CL at some of those big Northern tracks! Huge gap!

To be fair to Ben and Danno Verge. They both used to be poor on the island before moving there. At least they've tried to up their game by moving to a bigger track.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

To be fair to Ben and Danno Verge. They both used to be poor on the island before moving there. At least they've tried to up their game by moving to a bigger track.

I'm not attacking Morley or Verge, credit them to moving to a big track. Point I am trying to make is the going t a big track in NL against weaker riders won't help them much when they go to big tracks in CL stacked full of big track experts from 1-7  

Eastbourne have a huge Arena Essex look about them, if Hammers had still be riding and Eagles had still been in the NL this could have easily been a Hammers team in 2019 and they would have been equally good at home and terrible away, a Leopard never changes it’s spots.

Ben should have progressed beyond riding NL ages ago, it’s only held him back, most meetings on the island are very low key challenge meetings with only low to mid NL opposition, not going to be of any benefit to Ben.

3 minutes ago, marko said:

Eastbourne have a huge Arena Essex look about them, if Hammers had still be riding and Eagles had still been in the NL this could have easily been a Hammers team in 2019 and they would have been equally good at home and terrible away, a Leopard never changes it’s spots.

Ben should have progressed beyond riding NL ages ago, it’s only held him back, most meetings on the island are very low key challenge meetings with only low to mid NL opposition, not going to be of any benefit to Ben.

lot to agree with there. I've watched Eastbourne progress with interest this season mainly because they and Birmingham came up together in the winter; can't forget shameful way BSPA treated both Clubs, asking them to come up, accepting but then placing a "subject to approval" banner on every press release and rider signing from late November to early February.

great credit to both Promotions for toughing it out and taking the plunge. On and off the track the Eagles seem to have made more progress (so far) than my Brummies, especially on the Commercial and Social Media/Customer side and they have also made 2 x semi finals.

suspect Eagles could step in to a "big mooted league" I'm not sure about Brummies; hopefully both can remain CL if there is a CL next year or be in any big league..

would wager a few quid too that having had to quickly build a side for 2019 therefore mainly Lakeside + Eastbourne NL plus Kennett and Kerr, that Eagles (and Brummies) sides in 2020, when they can properly plan will look a whole lot different with a number of new riders introduce, in Eagles case probably move away from all British, a noble gesture but handicaps them.

6 minutes ago, HGould said:

lot to agree with there. I've watched Eastbourne progress with interest this season mainly because they and Birmingham came up together in the winter; can't forget shameful way BSPA treated both Clubs, asking them to come up, accepting but then placing a "subject to approval" banner on every press release and rider signing from late November to early February.

great credit to both Promotions for toughing it out and taking the plunge. On and off the track the Eagles seem to have made more progress (so far) than my Brummies, especially on the Commercial and Social Media/Customer side and they have also made 2 x semi finals.

suspect Eagles could step in to a "big mooted league" I'm not sure about Brummies; hopefully both can remain CL if there is a CL next year or be in any big league..

would wager a few quid too that having had to quickly build a side for 2019 therefore mainly Lakeside + Eastbourne NL plus Kennett and Kerr, that Eagles (and Brummies) sides in 2020, when they can properly plan will look a whole lot different with a number of new riders introduce, in Eagles case probably move away from all British, a noble gesture but handicaps them.

It might handicap them, but it won't bankrupt them. Expensive foreign imports nearly put the club out of business in its EL days. If it wasn't for Bob Dugard the club wouldn't be alive today.

• Like 6